Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Secondary weapons.  (Read 3035 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secondary weapons.
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 03:53:10 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it as long as they kill said enemy then you can recover the spear anyways.

Which just makes them glorified swordsmen.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

The thing about stuckins is that generally the spear can be pulled out with ease. However, a backup weapon would be useful if it was the opponent that came away with the spear.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 05:43:46 pm »

By your logic Pilsu, Speardwarves without a backup would be glorified wrestlers, no?
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 08:06:43 pm »

They retrieve the spear if possible (or are at least supposed to). Not so much for a dwarf that pulls out his backup.

Sabin Stargem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2010, 12:09:03 am »

I think this would be a good setup.  I realize slingshots don't exist, but I think that may be a good weapon idea for backup ranged weapons - you can't get much simpler, aside from throwing stuff.

Melee Weapon:  Any melee weapon.
 Sheath:  When going on patrol, this helps a soldier from becoming tired and prevents morale decrease from carrying.  Required on warfare excursions.

Ranged Weapon
 Quiver:  Required for bows, and for crossbows/javelins to have more than one unit of ammo.  (Crossbow comes loaded?)
 Pouch:  Used for carrying pebbles for the slingshot.  Otherwise, the soldier will have to pick up nearby pebbles for ammo.
 Belt   :  For waterskin, and to carry potions in the future if alchemy can make offensive options.  Required for holding sheath?

Backup Melee  : Dagger, Shortsword, small melee weapon.  Requires belt.
Backup Ranged: Slingshot.  Requires belt. 

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2010, 02:34:41 am »

love the idea.  Besides, gotta have something for those legendary axemen to continue training in ^^.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »

I wouldn't worry about it as long as they kill said enemy then you can recover the spear anyways.

Which just makes them glorified swordsmen.

Well Pilsu, this is realy only the case for weapons that get stuck in enemys commonly. If a marksdwarf kept a Short sword with him so he could use it in close quarters that would make him a glorified marksdwarf but I'd rather have a glorified marksdwarf then a dead marksdwarf. Also I don't understand why you wouldn't want hoplite dwarves anyways, Greeks hoplites had a secondary shorts sword whenever their spear got stuck in an enemy or broke, besides I like the idea of a dwarven hoplite, it seems interesting.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:29:00 pm by Vulkanis »

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2010, 12:21:24 pm »

They retrieve the spear if possible (or are at least supposed to). Not so much for a dwarf that pulls out his backup.

Well why wouldn't the dwarf retrieve the spear if it is designated as his
primary weapon. I could understand if your trying to say
in the midst of a battle a speardwarf that pulls out his
secondary won't get his spear back but if he was just killing a lone thief he wouldn't
walk off if the spear happened to of gotten stuck in the said thief.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2010, 04:12:33 pm »

Oooh!  Another idear...

Again, this should likely wait until the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, but something commonly used in warfare through the ages was projectile entry weapons quickly switched out/discarded for other weapons when distances closed. 

Examples include slings (used for many centuries by the Spanish and Moors during the Reconquista!), throwing stakes (examples I remember are from the Philippines), throwing axes (the Franks and various cultures), rocks (everywhere), pilums (Romans), spears, etc.  Many of these were as useful in duels as they were in large pitched battles.  I can point people to sources if you want!  Interesting stooof.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2010, 04:22:10 pm »

Oooh!  Another idear...

Again, this should likely wait until the stuff I mentioned in my previous post, but something commonly used in warfare through the ages was projectile entry weapons quickly switched out/discarded for other weapons when distances closed. 

Examples include slings (used for many centuries by the Spanish and Moors during the Reconquista!), throwing stakes (examples I remember are from the Philippines), throwing axes (the Franks and various cultures), rocks (everywhere), pilums (Romans), spears, etc.  Many of these were as useful in duels as they were in large pitched battles.  I can point people to sources if you want!  Interesting stooof.

I debated with myself to add this to one of my replys. I don't think that dwarves can actually throw things in fortress mode. They can fire projectiles but I've never seen anything thrown.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2010, 05:18:09 pm »

Speaking of thrown weapons:  hurlbats.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2010, 05:28:54 pm »

I could understand if your trying to say in the midst of a battle a speardwarf that pulls out his
secondary won't get his spear back

Exactly. They hit the enemy once with the spear, it gets stuck and they'd immediately switch weapons even if pulling the spear out would be trivial.

Dwarves can throw things in fortress mode. Only in tantrums though. Making them throw things actually designated to be thrown shouldn't be that difficult.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2010, 06:34:30 pm »

I could understand if your trying to say in the midst of a battle a speardwarf that pulls out his
secondary won't get his spear back

Exactly. They hit the enemy once with the spear, it gets stuck and they'd immediately switch weapons even if pulling the spear out would be trivial.

Dwarves can throw things in fortress mode. Only in tantrums though. Making them throw things actually designated to be thrown shouldn't be that difficult.

Well secondary would be useful for Javelins and weapons that are similar. Also Pilsu when you have a specific situation then please say so, missunderstandings are a bad bad thing.
Pages: 1 [2]