Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110621 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #1050 on: September 15, 2010, 09:07:55 am »

Or that tonfa and your supposedly godly upper body strength are, together, humanity's only hope in the event of a zombie outbreak.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: September 15, 2010, 12:17:43 pm »

You convince the interviewer that you really, honestly think that a katana can slice a tank in half and argue for at least an hour about it.

Is this referring to the time I relayed the story of the Japanese officer and his bravest men who charged three Russian tanks with his katana and managed to scare them into retreating? Because I never said they cut through a tank, and that's documented in the paperwork for the medal he got.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: September 18, 2010, 02:47:34 am »

No, I was referring to the people who believe that katanas are folded a thousand times and can cut through tanks and how they always get in arguments with /tg/, a place full of serious katana hate.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: September 18, 2010, 07:04:11 am »

Okay. Double checking.

Turns out the Japanese had really shitty local iron deposits and all that folding was the best they could do to work out the impurities. Meanwhile 11th century Vikings made swords that could be flexed over 90 degrees and return to true.

Can we derail this into knight versus samurai? That's so many kinds of I-want-to-go-there.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #1054 on: September 18, 2010, 09:50:11 am »

Samurai versus knights? But, you know, the whole Norman thing of conquering England, and knights being Norman/Norse, and the whole "I am viking, I are make steel from peat moss." and so on and so forth with the superior steel.
Samurais did have bows, though...
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: September 18, 2010, 10:03:07 am »

And so did vikings! Yeeeeeah! Samurai debate!

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: September 18, 2010, 10:13:12 am »

Samurai lacked heavy armor \thread
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: September 18, 2010, 02:25:46 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 11:21:49 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: September 18, 2010, 03:22:45 pm »

I counter all your men in tin cans with my longbow-men.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: September 18, 2010, 03:31:12 pm »

I counter your longbow men with M134 minigunners and a few artillery pieces, gunships, and bombers.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: September 18, 2010, 05:24:32 pm »

Longbows aren't terribly effective against full plate armor as it turns out. Most French casualties at Agincourt were by the poleaxe after trudging through the mud and arrows to get there.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: September 18, 2010, 05:28:26 pm »

I read that. I have to admit, Knight Vs. Samurai arguments on /tg/ are incredibly interesting.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: September 18, 2010, 05:37:39 pm »

My understanding is that a lot of swords are blunter than you'd expect, but are heavy enough to cause extreme damage anyway.

It could just be a matter of design.  I mean, katanas can't really go through armour because they didn't need to.

And I always find the videos more interesting.  Although they're generally just displays of cool swordsmanship rather than helping the debate.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: September 18, 2010, 05:40:32 pm »

Alright, no.  Stop this right now.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing sparks an argument on the Internet, or pisses me off, as fast as a bunch of nerds who've never touched a weapon arguing about the relative merits of Medieval warfare.  All of you shut the Hell up, unless you've got something oil-spill related to say.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: September 18, 2010, 05:42:27 pm »

Alright, no.  Stop this right now.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, nothing sparks an argument on the Internet, or pisses me off, as fast as a bunch of nerds who've never touched a weapon arguing about the relative merits of Medieval warfare.  All of you shut the Hell up, unless you've got something oil-spill related to say.
We could remove the oil by firing cotton-tipped arrows at it.
With longbows.
Longbows aren't terribly effective against full plate armor as it turns out. Most French casualties at Agincourt were by the poleaxe after trudging through the mud and arrows to get there.
And you're absolutely right. It didn't help them that the knights also got impatient and trampled the French crossbowmen and infantry trying to charge.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 05:44:31 pm by Maggarg - Eater of chicke »
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 79