Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110526 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #855 on: July 08, 2010, 09:48:26 pm »

Well, yeah.  But crying about the sky falling is fun!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: July 08, 2010, 10:28:36 pm »

Yea, I got that "Chicken Little" feeling as well. Articles are never very believable when they read like chimeras of unsubstantiated, uncited claims. The order and method in which the claims are made further reduced credibility.

In short: The the lack of even passable writing or composition completely discredits the author and renders any claims they might make unbelievable -if they had ever seemed valid in the first place.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: July 09, 2010, 02:31:02 am »

Also, I think that the world's gradual transformation into a hellish Road Warrior planet is supposed to be a bummer no matter the cause.

I think they passed a law or something.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: July 09, 2010, 03:32:38 am »

Yea, I got that "Chicken Little" feeling as well. Articles are never very believable when they read like chimeras of unsubstantiated, uncited claims. The order and method in which the claims are made further reduced credibility.

In short: The the lack of even passable writing or composition completely discredits the author and renders any claims they might make unbelievable -if they had ever seemed valid in the first place.

Of course it's probably bull, just look at the OMG BLACK HOLES BY CERN on the rest of that site. Nevertheless, I am amused by crackpot science.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: July 09, 2010, 11:34:47 am »

And here's this.  I can't believe I was momentarily worried it might be the end of the world.

Man, we're so jaded about this stuff when the end really comes we'll be completely caught off guard.  It'll be a disaster.

Edit:  That is, a disaster in addition to the world ending, which would also be a disaster.
Shoes...

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: July 09, 2010, 11:46:16 am »

Or we'll end up a vast interstellar empire who scares the living shit out of everyone else in the universe because our reaction to impending doom is "meh".
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: July 09, 2010, 12:35:23 pm »

Quote from: MetalSlimeHunt
Or we'll end up a vast interstellar empire who scares the living shit out of everyone else in the universe because our reaction to impending doom is "meh".

Yeah you gotta give them humans some credit. They're tough bastards to exterminate.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: July 09, 2010, 03:26:38 pm »

Alright, hole in the ocean, got it. Reading these pages however has me disappointed in you all, I can't believe you guys call yourselves DF players.

My idea to fix the leak:

Look at this map:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Notice anything special about the Gulf of Mexico? If you said that it's a gulf, then you're correct. With this knowledge in hand, the solution is obvious: Drain the Gulf of Mexico.

It'd be easy, we just:

1. build a single huge levee stretching from that one peninsula near the bottom of Mexico, and Florida, effectively cutting the Gulf off from the Atlantic.
2. dam up the Mississippi River, and re-divert it to... somewhere else. I'm sure a thousand places could benefit from having a huge river pour a never-ending stream of water onto it.
3. We use a wholly necessary, overly extravagant series of hydraulic pumps, siphons, and bucket-guys constantly emptying the water from the Gulf, until it is empty.
4. We then walk down into the now empty Gulf, and fix the damn oil leak by hand.

I await my Nobel prize.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: July 09, 2010, 05:21:56 pm »

I've suggsted the "dam the damn gulf" idea. Instead, though, we should use microwave radiation to evaporate the gulf, then use the lignite bin principle and prevent it from flowing back too far by continuing the microwaves.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: July 09, 2010, 05:25:58 pm »

Then how about we dam the gulf, and then just let the oil spill into it? Then we'll have a sea of oil in America's backyard that we need only dip our big ladles into whenever we want more gasoline.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: July 09, 2010, 05:26:33 pm »

What we do, right, is we stick a percentage of the American population in Vaults. These Vaults are designed to preform tests on their inhabitants, to give the leaders of America more information on how humanity would deal with living on colonization ships. Then, before or after they've got enough data, it doesn't really matter, they nuke the hell out of the planet and we work things out from there.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: July 09, 2010, 05:30:14 pm »

Do you think the vault idea would be more effective if those participating were chloroformed and kidnapped, and then placed inside with only a video to inform them of their predicament? You know, to REALLY make them believe that they're on a spaceship.

Hold up, gotta write this idea down. Could make a great movie.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: July 09, 2010, 05:45:14 pm »

BIG SPACESHIPS. And make it aliens that abducted them as a study for zoos before the planet is wiped out to create a new intergalactic superhighway.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: July 09, 2010, 05:57:16 pm »

What we do, right, is we stick a percentage of the American population in Vaults. These Vaults are designed to preform tests on their inhabitants, to give the leaders of America more information on how humanity would deal with living on colonization ships. Then, before or after they've got enough data, it doesn't really matter, they nuke the hell out of the planet and we work things out from there.

Give me... your lips for just a moment.... and my imagination... will make that moment live....
Sweetheart, I ask no more than this... a kiss to build a dream on...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: July 09, 2010, 06:06:23 pm »

Kickass fifties music is a must, as well.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 79