Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110453 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #690 on: June 25, 2010, 11:33:09 pm »

I thought oil would make it worse since it would cause more heat to be absorbed at the surface. For it to actually prevent evaporation it would probably need to be several centimeters thick.
And that would be assuming calm seas; even with that much oil, if the seas were choppy, kinda like if it were in a tropical storm, it wouldn't prevent evaporation. Oh, and BP stock is now down to less than 27. Hehehe.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 26, 2010, 12:48:31 am »

What most of the local weather folks seem to say is that it would theoretically impede the formation of tropical systems, but if a tropical system is already more or less formed and enters the area of the slick it probably won't have an adverse effect on the storm itself one way or the other.

Of course it's the news, so everything needs to be taken with a grain of salt. But it's a Florida news station, and I like to think we see enough hurricanes and things for our weathermen to know what they are talking about.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2010, 12:50:28 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 26, 2010, 02:21:40 pm »

What most of the local weather folks seem to say is that it would theoretically impede the formation of tropical systems, but if a tropical system is already more or less formed and enters the area of the slick it probably won't have an adverse effect on the storm itself...[snip]

Great! That'll fix the one huge storm a year that does spontaneously form in the gulf. Now what do we do about the thirty named storms we'll be seeing come in off the Atlantic?
This space unintentionally left blank.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 26, 2010, 04:25:25 pm »

Cracked suggests we declare war on BP: http://www.cracked.com/article_18614_6-objective-reasons-us-army-should-invade-bp.html

Is it bad when Cracked's suggestions begin to sound reasonable?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #694 on: June 26, 2010, 04:34:02 pm »

I don't think so... They do sound pretty reasonable...
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 26, 2010, 06:26:44 pm »

They do sound pretty reasonable...
Quote from:  Cracked
...and when your screw-up is visible from space we're fairly sure Captain Planet's allowed to start existing and kicking your ass. Never mind the country whose coast you just turned into the world's worst slip'n'slide.
thats sounds reasonable to me.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 26, 2010, 06:59:12 pm »

Cracked had always sounded reasonable.

Obama should make this official US policy.

Fuck up the environment (in the US) enough and be invaded.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 26, 2010, 07:08:46 pm »

How exactly do you invade a company? Storm it's offices?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 26, 2010, 07:11:22 pm »

Yes, then throw the executives to the people. Use all of the corporate giant's money to fund a massive cleanup operation. This will scare the shit out of the surviving oil companies.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Taco Dan

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of aborted projects
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Monkey Gaming
« Reply #699 on: June 26, 2010, 08:02:06 pm »

Yuhs!
I say we make a petition!
I think I would remember if I had amnesia.
I'd like to remind everyone that half of the time I don't even know what I'm talking about. The other half of the time I only sort of know what I'm talking about.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: June 26, 2010, 10:54:41 pm »

Yuhs!
I say we make a petition!
Nuhs!
That never works online!
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 27, 2010, 12:57:01 am »

The Cracked article was gold all around...but this really resonated with me.

His survival is living proof that every reporter he talks to has been castrated--there is no other way he could remain unbeaten-to-death. And if you meet one of those reporters, feel free to take his wallet and sleep with his wife, he won't object, she'll actively thank you and even if you're a girl you're more man than she's used to.

The media has done a terrible job covering the oil spill. And by covering, I mean vocally calling out BP and the government on the sheer ridiculousness and criminality of what they've done. They should be in the White House Press Briefing room every day going "So, how many egregious safety violations does it take by a major corporation in the U.S., and how many indications that they don't take our outrage seriously does it take, before the U.S government prosecutes said corporation?"

Every day, they should be asking that. The media acts as though having a live cam watching the oil spill is the peak of their job. Bull****. They have more knowledge and opportunity to seek justice in this instance than anyone else, by putting pressure on the Obama Administration every chance they get, so this doesn't slip by in America's collective memory of ways we've been ****ed. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 27, 2010, 02:35:07 am »

I'd trust the company being held financially responsible to fix it over, say, the government.

Can someone give me an update? I haven't been watching the news lately and I don't wanna search the thread.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 27, 2010, 02:44:12 am »

I'd trust the company being held financially responsible to fix it over, say, the government.

And you know whose job it is to make them financially responsible?  The government's, that's whose.  It's a little silly how often people need to be reminded of that.

Can someone give me an update? I haven't been watching the news lately and I don't wanna search the thread.

Last I heard, they found out the riser pipe is starting to lean over, then a robot crashed into it, so the containment stray they were using to siphon off some oil is unplugged, then some gas burped out of the pipe while they were trying to clog it again.  Now it's back up to its peak spill.  Like, somewhere approaching 100000 barrels a day.  I swear, either it's getting bigger all the time, or BP just doesn't know when to stop lying about this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 27, 2010, 02:51:14 am »

Wow, that is utterly fantastic.

Are we gonna have to get the Chinese to do it?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 79