Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110408 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #675 on: June 24, 2010, 07:13:46 pm »

By all means, rant more. I find this way more informative than all the canned news we get on the actual spill.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: June 24, 2010, 09:20:31 pm »

Ya, your ranting is definately more informative than most stuff we see. Besides, its not like there is anything else to talk about in this thread aside from their ever-decreasing stock price.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: June 25, 2010, 09:35:56 am »

Ya, your ranting is definately more informative than most stuff we see. Besides, its not like there is anything else to talk about in this thread aside from their ever-decreasing stock price.
Sure there is, their hilarious failures to do anything about it!

The coffee spill one is my favorite parody so far.

I still maintain that if God is acting here, it is to send a message to stop drilling.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: June 25, 2010, 10:07:07 am »

And here I thought that the message was to stop living in the gulf...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: June 25, 2010, 10:30:38 am »

And I figured it was something like, "Hey, look at the little buggers squirm! Ha-ha-haaaa!"
This space unintentionally left blank.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: June 25, 2010, 10:46:08 am »

I thought it meant "I am is poor, more bribe munees plz."

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: June 25, 2010, 10:50:31 am »

I thought it meant "I am is poor, more bribe munees plz."

No, its 'ARMOK NEEDS BLOOD SACRIFICES!' :)

Obligatory DF joke, lol. :)

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: June 25, 2010, 01:53:35 pm »

And here I thought that the message was to stop living in the gulf...

Okay, Helen Thomas.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: June 25, 2010, 04:25:11 pm »

By all means, rant more. I find this way more informative than all the canned news we get on the actual spill.

I grew up in the oil patch of West Texas, and always felt that self-righteously indignant when people bitched about the oil industry.  I just considered the people around me missing limbs to be unfortunate requirements of our lifestyle.

In the past 6 years,  I've changed my mind.  As of this weekend,  I am moving to Austin to return to school;  I'm trying to take a different path in life.  I feel pretty dirty for some of the things I've seen;  I haven't really done anything unethical myself,  but i am very aware of the fact that I have helped highly unethical men get rich off the suffering of others.

A few more points on the drilling moratorium:  there are only 30 rigs drilling in the gulf.  None of that would reach production for years.  A moratorium of a few months is nothing in the grand scheme.

ALL of these companies drilling rely on the same emergency plans as one another;  the same companies to provide booms, to put out rig fires, etc.

All of these resources are currently being used to try and stem the (LOL) tide of the deepwater horizon disaster.  There isn't really anything left over in case something else happens.

We cut corners in the oil industry.  We have men working 72 hour shifts in control of the drill string (I've done that).  There needs to be a big overhaul here, and the only way to catch the people's attention was something like this, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 04:26:45 pm by Nonsapient »

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #684 on: June 25, 2010, 10:23:11 pm »

Apparently there's a tropical depression near Mexico now, that could develop into a tropical storm. You know what really makes it fun? The storm's projected path is straight through the oil spill.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: June 25, 2010, 10:31:36 pm »

XKCD will have its predictions come true.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: June 25, 2010, 11:14:55 pm »

Apparently there's a tropical depression near Mexico now, that could develop into a tropical storm. You know what really makes it fun? The storm's projected path is straight through the oil spill.

I heard from one source that the oil spill is actually preventing hurricanes.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: June 25, 2010, 11:25:12 pm »

FOX news?
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: June 25, 2010, 11:29:09 pm »

Actually, they have no f'ing clue what it will do... nothing like this has ever happened before. Predictions range from making it worse to making it better. Some even predicted it could make a hurricane much stronger, since oil would absorb more heat and feed a hurricane high-octane fuel. Both litterally and figuratively. I would say the very worst cast scenario I can think of would be widespread deposition of toxic oil, due to a hurricane over land, giving nasty health effects to the residents of the area hit for decades to come. And judging by past luck with this spill (everything has been worse than it seems and no worst case scenario is left unfulfilled), it will probably happen.  :(

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: June 25, 2010, 11:30:09 pm »

I thought oil would make it worse since it would cause more heat to be absorbed at the surface. For it to actually prevent evaporation it would probably need to be several centimeters thick.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 79