Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110381 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #600 on: June 19, 2010, 06:56:43 pm »

Wow, you're good at this needlessly antagonizing thing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: June 19, 2010, 07:00:21 pm »

It is ridiculous if you're boycotting over something that you can't begin to prove.  So where's that source on BP funding abortions, huh?
I honestly don't know how to begin hunting for 12-year-old headlines. The point I am making, Aqizzar, is that there are polite ways of saying things and then there's the option for being an ass. You've chosen the latter this time around.

I chose the "being an ass" option because throwing up a claim like "British Petroleum funds abortion clinics" is such an outlandish thing to say, for supporting a boycott or any other reason.  And if you can't find a source for it, that's a pretty good indication that whoever you heard it from was pulling it out of their ass.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: June 19, 2010, 07:01:47 pm »

It's very entertaining with certain people like Aqizzar; especially since he takes himself so seriously. I suppose this is where I apologize for trolling. I really wanted to see how far it would go, but it was wrong of me to start.

You never got the joke, Aqizzar? That was a big late-90's conspiracy theory that was all over the news for about two weeks before it was debunked. This is equivalent to me screaming "We've never landed on the moon!!!" and waiting to see who jumps in to take it seriously.

They created a fund that doled out money to health clinics, and the accusation was that several of the clinics provided free abortions. Turned out that was not the case within the US.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: June 19, 2010, 07:03:02 pm »

It's very entertaining with certain people like Aqizzar; especially since he takes himself so seriously. I suppose this is where I apologize for trolling. I really wanted to see how far it would go, but it was wrong of me to start.

Wow, what, seriously? I really can't decide if I believe that this was actually just some diabolical trolling attempt or if you're trying to save face by pretending it was.

Either way you look pretty pathetic right about now.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: June 19, 2010, 07:05:10 pm »

You never got the joke, Aqizzar? That was a big late-90's conspiracy theory that was all over the news for about two weeks before it was debunked. This is equivalent to me screaming "We've never landed on the moon!!!" and waiting to see who jumps in to take it seriously.

They created a fund that doled out money to health clinics, and the accusation was that several of the clinics provided free abortions. Turned out that was not the case within the US.

So... You're saying you boycott BP gas-stations over a decade old rumor that you already know for a fact is bullcrap?  Is that what you're saying?  I've kinda lost track.

... like Aqizzar; especially since he takes himself so seriously.

That's a God damned lie and you know it.  Also, what the fuck man?
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: June 19, 2010, 07:06:50 pm »

Wow, what, seriously? I really can't decide if I believe that this was actually just some diabolical trolling attempt or if you're trying to save face by pretending it was.

... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: June 19, 2010, 07:08:17 pm »

I'm well aware of that. I'm sorry Aqizzar; it was very immature of me. I really thought in a thread full of political satire and jesting, a late-90's pop culture joke would be funny. My response to you was unfairly antagonistic and manipulative. I'm sorry.

"shades of gray"

I was wrong to do that to him. Period. I'm the ass here. Thanks to Jackrabbit for stopping it before I went even further too far.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:10:03 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: June 19, 2010, 07:10:43 pm »

Well, I guess it would have been funny if I had had any idea what you were talking about.  I guess.  It was just such an odd statement I didn't know what to do with it, and being a obviously-charged attack on BP I assumed it was meant as serious.

You think this whole forum would stop trying to dead-pan humor, considering how often we fuck it up.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: June 19, 2010, 07:11:52 pm »

Seriously, their major charity is supposedly subsidizing abortion clinics. I don't want .005 of my dollars going to that.

I don't know which is more ridiculous, that you actually think some oil company is subsidizing abortion clinics, or that you're bent out of shape over an imaginary half-cent.  Got a source on that?

But don't you see?? Abortion CAUSED the oil spill! I don't know how, but I'm sure Glenn Beck can draw some f**ked-up chart that explains it all perfectly, as long as you've prepped your mind with a fifth of rubbing alcohol.

EDIT:
Oh, and don't worry. BP's Tony Hayward is hard at work cleaning up this mess. Of course, by "hard at work", I mean "watching his yacht compete in a private race in England"

I think one of the reasons that people are ready to consign BP to the same tier of Hell as Hitler is the arrogance and tone-deafness of Hayward. I mean, this is a level of gall in the face of public outrage not seen since Marie Antoinette said, "Let them eat cake" (and the French responded, "Try eating this big-ass metal blade, bitch!")

I think people are being too hard on Tony and BP in general. Tony less so since he has been managing to put his foot in his mouth and you'd think he'd at least keep a low profile and not engage openly in any overly luxurious activities. That said people act as if he should be spending every second of every day doing, well I'm not sure what they want him doing actually. Going down to the beach and helping wash animals personally? The whole outrage over their new advertising campaign was equally stupid, now BP should have seen it coming really but what do people expect BP to do? Divert every single person away from their jobs to help somehow. There is no way for them to force the guys in their advertising department to go out there and do something about the spill so are they supposed to just leave them sitting on their hands?

EDIT: Will you please let me post dammit!
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: June 19, 2010, 07:12:22 pm »

"shades of gray"

I was wrong to do that to him. Period. I'm the ass here. Thanks to Jackrabbit for stopping it before I went even further too far.
Nope, you lose. it was a mirror!

Geeze, you guys really suck at charades!
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: June 19, 2010, 07:13:05 pm »

At least RedKing seemed to get it. Maybe not the reference, but the obvious satire.
The sigs topic:

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: June 19, 2010, 07:15:08 pm »

Actually there really are people who are boycotting oil because of this...

No joke. Not the thread mind you, but BP.

Then again, people boycott for the weirdest things.

What I'm wondering is, do things like this never happen in nature? It doesn't seem possible that it never happens, and that nature doesn't have mechanisms for dealing with it...

(Edit: Found a link: Oil Pollution
My local creek has it's share of oil pollution. I blame BP! They sell oil, and people put it in drains that runoff into my creek. If not for BP, it wouldn't be there!)

(Edit 2: Another link from Live Science)

(Edit 3: It seems that what makes manmade ones so bad is because natural ones aren't steady, but it seems to me to be a matter of pressure. I bet before we started mining the stuff, there were huge oil blowouts that occurred pretty frequently on a geologic timescale (one major one in the world every 1000 years or so). Of course that doesn't help in any way...)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 07:28:47 pm by Kogan Loloklam »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: June 19, 2010, 07:16:11 pm »

@Jreengus: Not to mention that he said that he was going to put someone else in charge, but now it seems like people are saying that he is still in charge of the whole thing.

It should be leg-in-mouth-up-to-the-knee considering how often he keeps messing up.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: June 19, 2010, 07:18:06 pm »

I think people are being too hard on Tony and BP in general. Tony less so since he has been managing to put his foot in his mouth and you'd think he'd at least keep a low profile and not engage openly in any overly luxurious activities. That said people act as if he should be spending every second of every day doing, well I'm not sure what they want him doing actually. Going down to the beach and helping wash animals personally? The whole outrage over their new advertising campaign was equally stupid, now BP should have seen it coming really but what do people expect BP to do? Divert every single person away from their jobs to help somehow. There is no way for them to force the guys in their advertising department to go out there and do something about the spill so are they supposed to just leave them sitting on their hands?

I think what a lot of people were angry at BP about was the appearance that they were trying to get out of paying for much.  That changed with the $20bil escrow though, so we'll see.  There was also the rampant lying and whitewashing by every BP executive unlucky enough to be in front of a camera, and the obvious implication that their other hundreds of wells are in no better condition or management than the one that finally broke, and they're not doing a damn thing about that.

EDIT: Will you please let me post dammit!

3 new replies while I was typing this.  Gotta love it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: June 19, 2010, 07:18:54 pm »

Actually there really are people who are boycotting oil because of this...

No joke. Not the thread mind you, but BP.

Then again, people boycott for the weirdest things.

What I'm wondering is, do things like this never happen in nature? It doesn't seem possible that it never happens, and that nature doesn't have mechanisms for dealing with it...

There are natural oil seeps (La Brea tar pits is a well known one on land), but none even close to the scale of this one. Whether there were any prehistoric blowouts, I have no idea.

Nature does in fact have mechanisms for dealing with it such as bacteria that eat oil, but it doesn't happen like this.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 79