Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110309 times)

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #510 on: June 15, 2010, 11:24:30 am »

Oh God, I can see it now. I really need to take that movie back to the video store, actually.

No! Then some other poor fool might accidentally watch it! Don't do it! Think of the children!
This space unintentionally left blank.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: June 15, 2010, 12:05:29 pm »

Further, in the tradition of Magritte, This is not a Forum Post.

(and dammit, if there's one thread that calls for dadaist social commentary and absurdist humor, it's the one about the biggest man-made disaster in recorded history.)

Dadaist social commentary and absurdist humor?

C'mon, boys, let's all go
Off to the pogrom with a ho-ho-ho.
Pull in your bellies and throw out the Jews.
With swastika and poison gas
Let's have a go at murder in the mass.

-- Walter Mehring, around 1920

Hey, if its called for.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: June 15, 2010, 04:04:42 pm »

(and dammit, if there's one thread that calls for dadaist social commentary and absurdist humor, it's the one about the biggest man-made disaster in recorded history.)

Is it really? Didn't the Russians poison a river and like three cities full of people?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #513 on: June 15, 2010, 05:13:52 pm »

Lightning struck the vacuum ship, they had to stop the pump.

I presume this means it's flowing freely again.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: June 15, 2010, 06:40:55 pm »

I presume this means it's flowing freely again.

You can pretty safely assume that all the time.  Tanker ship filled up?  Flowing freely until the next ship arrives from the South Pacific.  Storm a'comin'?  Everybody go home for a few days until the clouds go away.  Robot gets cranky?  Open the spigot and let them soften up.  Last catchphrase inspired fix went bust?  Go spend a couple days thinking up a new one.

Attention all American readers, and interested parties with access to American TV: At the top of the hour, President Obama will be giving his official comprehensive review of his talking points from the last couple weeks and introducing a couple new ones.  This information will be on the next exam, so it's in your interest to watch.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: June 15, 2010, 06:43:49 pm »

This information will be on the next exam, so it's in your interest to watch.

Ha Ha.

Anyways, yea I'm planning on watching it.....

Its suppoused to start in about 17, 18 minutes according to the CNN clock.

Oh yea, did you hear that they recorded the flow rate up to 60,000 barrels!?, I was like WHOA! when I saw that. Calculated that for 60 days which comes up to more than 3 MILLION barrels, and they don't even have it capped yet!

If anything, maybe this will hasten peak oil?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 06:45:46 pm by smjjames »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: June 15, 2010, 06:57:52 pm »

Oh yea, did you hear that they recorded the flow rate up to 60,000 barrels!?, I was like WHOA! when I saw that. Calculated that for 60 days which comes up to more than 3 MILLION barrels, and they don't even have it capped yet!

I doubt that, but it does raise the silly question of just how much oil is actually down there.  It amazes me every time I hear that number that one broken pipe can generate 60,000 barrels a day of crude.  Do working wells produce that much?  Do we really use so much oil that one well can spit out that much, and it's still a drop in the Supply bucket?  If that's a normal well-production figure, forget Peak Oil - I amazed we haven't sucked the Earth hollow like a deflated balloon yet.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: June 15, 2010, 07:11:23 pm »

I doubt that, but it does raise the silly question of just how much oil is actually down there.  It amazes me every time I hear that number that one broken pipe can generate 60,000 barrels a day of crude.  Do working wells produce that much?  Do we really use so much oil that one well can spit out that much, and it's still a drop in the Supply bucket?  If that's a normal well-production figure, forget Peak Oil - I amazed we haven't sucked the Earth hollow like a deflated balloon yet.

Daily crude production worldwide in 2007 averaged at 73 million barrels per daylink. That means it's actualy 1% of the daily world production, making this a pretty damn huge well we're talking about.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: June 15, 2010, 07:57:08 pm »

So yeah, about that speech.  tl;dw - "We're up shit creek without a paddle people.  But don't worry, I'm just as mad as you.  For now, let's make sure we blam all the obvious people, and hope the hand of God comes down with a technical plan.  Because BP sure as fuck don't have one (amirite?), and I only know what they and Ken Salazar tell me.  Just don't panic."

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: June 15, 2010, 08:10:40 pm »

I doubt that, but it does raise the silly question of just how much oil is actually down there.  It amazes me every time I hear that number that one broken pipe can generate 60,000 barrels a day of crude.  Do working wells produce that much?  Do we really use so much oil that one well can spit out that much, and it's still a drop in the Supply bucket?  If that's a normal well-production figure, forget Peak Oil - I amazed we haven't sucked the Earth hollow like a deflated balloon yet.

Daily crude production worldwide in 2007 averaged at 73 million barrels per daylink. That means it's actualy 1% of the daily world production, making this a pretty damn huge well we're talking about.

Of course you need to keep in mind that that's the amount that's spilling, not the amount that a well at the location would produce. A drilling ship on the surface has, according to numbers they've been throwing around in the news lately, a peak capacity of 20,000 barrels a day - less at the moment because of issues with the oil capture mechanisms. That 60,000 barrel figure is the (non-captured, possibly because they shut the gently-caressing pipe off when the replacement boat caught fire today...) amount that's coming out at the bottom, where it's highly pressurized, and completely uncontrolled.
This space unintentionally left blank.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: June 15, 2010, 09:15:02 pm »

Is it really? Didn't the Russians poison a river and like three cities full of people?
There have been some nasty incidents with gas leaks, and, you know, if you count wars...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: June 15, 2010, 10:10:00 pm »

I thought the entire point now was to stop trying to plug the hole and just try to find a way to have the oil come out as quickly as possible without the entire thing collapsing.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: June 15, 2010, 11:03:09 pm »

Nobody is willing to publicly say that they won't stop the oil from going into the environment at large. That doesn't stop people from thinking that it isn't worth the effort...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: June 15, 2010, 11:11:02 pm »

The last esitmate that I saw about how long it would take to let the underground reservoir to drain out or reach equilibrium was 7 years. Do you REALLY want to wait 7 years for it to drain out? Think how much oil that would be.

You have to remember that the deposit is going to contain many millions of barrels of oil. I really don't think anybody genuinely wants that to happen as thats even MORE depressing than whats already going on.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: June 16, 2010, 02:32:27 am »

Bet that giant dome is starting to look attractive now, huh guys?

Or, failing that, Jesus could turn it all into wine. I mean, it's an option.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 79