Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110286 times)

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #285 on: May 26, 2010, 10:53:17 pm »

Harper is an ass i know its my *prime minister* god spare us......

Alright into the problem... LAVA!!!! no yes? taker? More simple... what you do in your bath when you dont want water to get away? plug it god damn, make a giant solid block and drop it on the hole, end of story
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #286 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:46 pm »

How's Operation: KILL THE TOP going?
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 26, 2010, 11:34:52 pm »

Harper is an ass i know its my *prime minister* god spare us......

Alright into the problem... LAVA!!!! no yes? taker? More simple... what you do in your bath when you dont want water to get away? plug it god damn, make a giant solid block and drop it on the hole, end of story

Nothing you are saying makes sense, were you drunk when you posted this?

Harper isn't an ass, by the way, he's just incredibly indifferent to everything.

"Here's this year's proposed budget: We're not renewing anything, and we're not adding anything new."
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 26, 2010, 11:45:39 pm »

Hard to tell from the live video CNN has going.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 27, 2010, 01:52:31 am »

I think you will need to ask BP's PR people, but those cute graphics should have bought them a few days to come up with something else...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 27, 2010, 02:05:20 am »

What if we just like... dug a hole for it to drain in maaan? Like.. save the earth with the power of love.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: May 27, 2010, 02:13:19 am »

Every time I hear about the Top Kill, all I can think of is that song Tip Drill.

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 27, 2010, 03:33:35 am »

Am I in the minority in believing that BP has been trying pretty damn hard to cap the well (within reasonable monetary limits) for the past month? They don't exactly benefit from it leaking oil all month long. Obviously they fucked up by starting the leak and probably weren't prepared for it, but it sounds like they are trying their best possible current options to plug it aside from nuking the thing.

By the way: their dispersant sucks, but are there large enough quantities of any other safer dispersant that they could actually use that doesn't cost some absurd amount of money?

HAMMERMILL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 27, 2010, 03:36:48 am »

Why does it seem like nobody responsible for this has any fuckin idea whatsoever to deal with it?

Did they think it was'nt possible and simply never come up with contingency plans for it?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 27, 2010, 05:25:30 am »

Evidently not, which I think is (or should be) a massive concern. Whoever gave these idiots permission to drill this deep had no contingency plan to deal with it, which is the height of idiocy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 27, 2010, 05:50:15 am »

After the whole subprime mortgages fiasco, do these new shows of corporate neglicence+ govt indiference surprise you?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 27, 2010, 05:52:05 am »

Not particularly. Doesn't make them right. This was a colossal fuck-up that wouldn't have happened if they'd thought things through, come up with a contingency plan or just said "Don't drill that deep till we know how to deal with it in case a major disaster happens".

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 27, 2010, 06:02:42 am »

You have been reading since the beginning of the thread, haven't you?  I can find the articles about oil rig managers writing in their own safety reports, which inspectors would then photocopy on trust; about Mineral Management officers were gettin' nasty with oil company lobbyists and liaisons; about how virtually no one in either the environmental regulation agencies or the upper management of the mining agencies they regulate spent more than ten years at a time in either field before switching back and forth by whim and Presidential appointment; or about how the basic equipment that failed in this leak cost less than the average manager's bonus salary, but was nixed.

I don't mean to be ruthlessly cynical, but you really have to assume the worst, that nothing works, the game is rigged, everyone responsible is (sometimes literally) in bed together, and hundred grand bribes and bonuses are the coin of the realm in the natural resources business.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 27, 2010, 06:06:05 am »

You have been reading since the beginning of the thread, haven't you?

No, sorry, I cut out page 10. I figured I'd end up reiterating.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 27, 2010, 06:09:16 am »

And so you ended up reiterating anyway.  Reiterating quaint innocence and naivete anyway.  Do you want to turn this into the Atheists thread?

Nah really, there's been all kinds of developments I or others could post, and bashing on corporate malfeasance is always a good time.  But the specific explanations for why nobody planned for this to happen or knows how to fix it has been, at least partially, hashed out a few times.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 79