Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110288 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #270 on: May 24, 2010, 01:12:45 pm »

They ... aren't?!

That is why I posted in this thread! I was sold a bill of goods!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 24, 2010, 01:20:47 pm »

But that's what we do!
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:02 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:11:35 am by SIGVARDR »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 24, 2010, 01:26:23 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:59:54 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 24, 2010, 01:29:25 pm »

IE The Atheist Thread. Where everyone adds a huge paragraph and doesn't read anyone elses
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Caesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: May 24, 2010, 01:31:45 pm »

IE The Atheist Thread. Where everyone adds a huge paragraph and doesn't read anyone elses

The perfect debate.
Really, that's what politicians do.
Spider Overhaul
Adding realistic spiders to Dwarf Fortress. (Discontinued.)

Godhood VIII
The latest installment in the Godhood roleplaying game series.

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 24, 2010, 01:41:54 pm »

Hi!

How about you all just stop arguing about something you will never be able to directly affect.
It's not like the professionals are sitting here right now looking at this thread to answer there problems.

You know, reading that interview about how the BP guys in charge handled the entire drilling operation, I wouldn't be surprised if they used Dwarf Fortress as their training simulator. I mean, neglect all safety measures, ignore failing equipment and even a prior mishap at that formation - that sounds really a lot how people tend to play Dwarf Fortress.

Or is it just that Dwarf Fortress is too realistic?

Deathworks

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 24, 2010, 01:48:17 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:11:00 am by SIGVARDR »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 24, 2010, 01:51:24 pm »

The perfect debate.

I think maybe it's a realistic debate. A perfect debate would involve no logical fallacies, a lot of research to back arguments up, and speakers would be as concise as possible.

Also, this is why to date I haven't clicked the Atheism thread. I can just imagine what a cesspit it is.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 24, 2010, 02:00:11 pm »

Hi!

That said,I don't think they knew the drill equipment was failing.At,what,18,000 feet under the sea,it was?
you Can't exactly just pull the line up and check for damage,or put any sensors that are very sophisticated down there to check.

I was referring to the CBS (I think) interview in the OP. One of the people from the well brought forth hefty allegations - like them ignoring that the rubber parts of a valve came up through the drilling and that the BP manager insisted on using a speedy method that absolutely required that valve to be intact down there and not in pieces on the table.

Of course, I am not a professional in oil drilling, but if parts of my machinery come up in tatters, I might consider being more careful rather than being even more reckless. (^_^;;

That is just how I saw it. EDIT: I just wanted to clarify that and am not really interested enough in this to argue about it (living 500m above sea level in Germany, that is somewhat far off for me).

In general, I don't mind if people try dangerous solutions - if the people who make the decision are also the people who are most likely to be affected.

Deathworks

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 24, 2010, 02:50:45 pm »

I enjoy reading about the ideas people present here,I'm always down with nuking the ocean.
But there's no sense in doing the whole debate team thing.No ones running for election,You don't have to righteously defend your idea to the last man or go on a holy crusade against the other guy.

So what is the point of this post, and who or what is it addressing?

I just want to know what the scientific principle is behind detonating a nuke at the crest of a gas deposit. Anyone able to enlighten me?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 24, 2010, 02:58:50 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:10:28 am by SIGVARDR »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 24, 2010, 03:18:43 pm »

This is the wrong place for a random, generalized rant. We've done very nicely avoiding derails up until now, and I'm sure everyone would like to keep it that way.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:41 pm »

I enjoy reading about the ideas people present here,I'm always down with nuking the ocean.
But there's no sense in doing the whole debate team thing.No ones running for election,You don't have to righteously defend your idea to the last man or go on a holy crusade against the other guy.

So what is the point of this post, and who or what is it addressing?

I just want to know what the scientific principle is behind detonating a nuke at the crest of a gas deposit. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Review page 18, in addition, the idea is that the detonation displaces enough rock to squeeze the well itself shut. The well being an additional thousand feet of hole drilled into the oil reserve. Of course, if the top of the oil reserve is close to the surface, the additional fractures in the rock can stimulate additional flow, so some intelligent thought is required using data I don't have on hand. But basically, its like closing a copper pipe by whacking it with a hammer. You just sort of pinch it off.

And no, I agree that the rant is needed. We do need to chillax and mellow out and simmadownnaow. I was getting kind of angsty last night as everyone went after my suggestion, and I think Sigvardr is just saying "Look guys, coffee table conversation is fine, but lets not keep beating eachother over the head."
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: May 24, 2010, 03:52:43 pm »

The perfect debate.

It's actually fairly amusing how so many political debates aren't actually debates at all, but just the politicians standing on opposite ends of the room reciting planned speeches. I was very pleased with the 2008 Canadian Prime Ministerial Candidate debate (which lost ratings because it happened at the same time as Biden vs. Palin), where they sat all five candidates down around the table and let them loose on eachother, with the host trying in vain to keep them under control.

"Hey, Mr. Harper, I'm just wondering, because everybody else has revealed their platform, where's your platform? Is it under your sweater?"
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 79