Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110314 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2010, 10:19:14 pm »

In all the evil oil company blasting, has anyone ever said 'Shit Happens' or 'I contribute to world oil demand, so I'm not exactly blameless myself'?

Shit happens. Suck it up and deal. Nuking the well would be a bad idea though, what with resulting in a tsunami and all.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 10:22:29 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2010, 10:23:23 pm »

Right now there is theoretically no reason for them to hurry and fix the leak ASAP, as there is a cap of $75,000,000 dollars on cleanup costs
Is this a reference to that 1850 law that BP was trying to invoke to cut costs? Because they might not allow them to shield themselves in that.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2010, 10:36:38 pm »

Tsunami? I do not beleive you can find any evidence that a tsunami would result, particularly since Russia used this method of closing well leaks five times.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2010, 10:38:53 pm »

Tsunami? I do not beleive you can find any evidence that a tsunami would result, particularly since Russia used this method of closing well leaks five times.

assuming that bit of the story is not a load of hogwash
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2010, 11:29:50 pm »

assuming that bit of the story is not a load of hogwash

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.kp.ru/daily/24482/640124/
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

kuro_suna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: May 23, 2010, 11:32:32 pm »

Given the soviet unions track record it probably did happen and probability did cause tidal destruction and radiation poisoning in the most comically spectacular way possible.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 23, 2010, 11:34:42 pm »

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http://www.kp.ru/daily/24482/640124/

Again, assuming the story is not a load of hogwash. Is there any source other than that newspaper about those oil well busting nuclear explosions?

The fact that the paper also promises to unveil the "secrets of UFOs" and the "abominable snowman" kind of substracts from its reliability, btw

« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 11:37:10 pm by ChairmanPoo »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: May 23, 2010, 11:50:16 pm »

I was with you until you went into 'hogwash'. I repeat what I said earlier about tsunamis, and encourage you to prove radiation poisoning. Even the Baker tests resulted in a total loss of life expectancy of three months of sailors scrubbing fallout from ships compared to a control group, with no appreciable spikes in cancers or leukemia.

And here's another; http://www.thedailybeast.com/blogs-and-stories/2010-05-16/nuke-the-oil-spill/?cid=hp:mainpromo1

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2010, 12:05:09 am »

Look, I dont know what that stuff about tsunamis is about. I think you are mistaking my posts with someone else's. What I am saying is that I am highly skeptical about the "nuke the oil well" story. Are there any actual serious reports of this being done?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2010, 12:24:33 am »

Even the Baker tests resulted in a total loss of life expectancy of three months of sailors scrubbing fallout from ships compared to a control group, with no appreciable spikes in cancers or leukemia.

what

I was under the impression that we had two control groups called Hiroshima and Nagasaki which actually did see increased rates of leukemia and cancer.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2010, 12:28:32 am »

Not underwater as far as I'm aware, and not always "nukes", but generic powerful explosions were used to seal fountaining oil and gas wells for quite some time now. It's not the safest way around, and not the most fail-safe one, but it happened to work in most cases where it was employed.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2010, 12:43:46 am »

No ChairmanPoo, I am not always talking to you. Yes, here is a report for you. I'm not playing the source denial game anymore now that I am giving you a Department of Energy government report. Please call your attention to page 34, "Pamuk".

https://e-reports-ext.llnl.gov/pdf/238468.pdf

@Grakelin;

Yes, quite a lot of people were killed when nuclear weapons were used in military action against a civilian population. However, at the broad claim of 'radiation poisoning' and 'tidal waves' being a result, I pointed out a controlled military detonation with trained professional personel and safety protocols in place, which was an underwater detonation just as experts are proposing and I am advocating at the Deepwater Horizon site now. Apple, meet orange.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2010, 03:07:46 am »

The amount of water that is moved in a tidal wave is, well, there are plenty of nukes that couldn't hope to pull it off. Of course, getting a mechanism that would still work at those pressures might require some effort...

As for radiation, I doubt the oil has left anything alive in the affected area, and it isn't leaving in a hurry...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2010, 05:03:27 am »

Not underwater as far as I'm aware, and not always "nukes", but generic powerful explosions were used to seal fountaining oil and gas wells for quite some time now. It's not the safest way around, and not the most fail-safe one, but it happened to work in most cases where it was employed.

ho-ho-hold on there cowboy. I don't know who suggested this idea, so I'm not necessarily blaming you. But your post is where I caught it.

Alllrighty, so I am definitely not an oil well expert. I could become one in the next few years depending on an upcoming career choice, but the point is that I don't have authoritative information on this stuff. But I thought I knew about this: explosions are used to put out fires on oil wells, not to seal them! A quick explanation: the explosion consumes the oxygen and stops the chain reaction known as fire, causing the oil to flow sans flames. It is then much safer to approach and cap it.

And so I thought I'd look at the source material provided to see if there is some silly idea about shifting tectonics with nuclear blasts or something. From what I see in the source material, the idea is that a nuclear blast could be hot enough to cause expansion and fuse the hole shut. That's not entirely insane. However: the PDF article is extremely vague in relation to the first use and does specifically mention the need to extinguish flames. It's even less clear in the second article as to what the reasoning is behind this technique.

They have an incredibly high-pressure leak, such that capping the drilled hole simply causes it to seep through the ground itself. So they detonate a nuclear device near the cap of the gas deposit? That sounds like madness. Does anyone have a solid explanation of what exactly they are doing?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

SIGVARDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2010, 01:06:30 pm »

edited.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 06:12:38 am by SIGVARDR »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 79