Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110328 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:16 pm »

It's hard to boycott an oil company because their oil can be sold to whoever and used for whatever.

I think you'd see violence instead. Then again, Bhopal is effectively ignored now, so what do I know?

I wouldn't put it past them to greatly inflate their costs, though, to put some numbers behind their feigned contrition.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2010, 02:21:32 pm »

I wouldn't put it past them to greatly inflate their costs, though, to put some numbers behind their feigned contrition.

That thought did occur to me, although I don't doubt they've burned through a few hundred million at least.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2010, 02:23:29 pm »

For one thing, did they include the cost of the rig itself? The rescue effort of the crew? Those things have nothing to do with cleanup of the spill, and while they are costs that BP should carry, paying them doesn't do anything for the environmental disaster.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2010, 02:33:06 pm »

For one thing, did they include the cost of the rig itself? The rescue effort of the crew? Those things have nothing to do with cleanup of the spill, and while they are costs that BP should carry, paying them doesn't do anything for the environmental disaster.

They probably have insurance paying on that. 

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2010, 04:45:14 pm »

They probably have insurance paying on that. 

Oh good point.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2010, 04:51:11 pm »

One wonders what insurance is available for those things. And why you'd want it. Considering the rarity of these events, and the fact that BP is such a large company, it would be much cheaper for them to pay themselves than fund someone else to insure them.

Even if they are insured, the insurance company couldn't possibly be willing to pay out until the cause has been determined. The investigation is still underway. So BP has no doubt payed out-of-pocket for this so far.

The other questions are still quite valid, though: if they are insured, the insurance hasn't kicked in yet so they can claim a loss of that amount even though it will be repaid. They also have no internal integrity, so I strongly doubt that they'd have the external integrity to post their real numbers. I'm sure everyone is guarding their own pockets and public image with cost estimates, just as they are doing with estimates of oil flow.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2010, 04:59:31 pm »

All companies insure everything they own all the time.  It has nothing to do with absorbing losses.  It's about proving solvency to creditors and investors, because most banks and fund brokers won't even touch a company that doesn't insure all its assets.  They have to know that if something catastrophic happens, the burned up loans and investments will be accounted for by the company's insurance.

Many companies even take out life insurance policies on their employees.  Heck, as we found out during the financial collapse, a fair number of companies even take out policies on the continued existence of their competitors, because corporations can do that, and it's an extra financial incentive to put the opponent out of business.

As for whether and what has been paid out, I'm sure it runs the whole gamut of business law.  But the point is, yes they have insurance, because most companies don't just keep piles of cash laying around in case something bad happens.  They pay insurance premiums - that way they don't have to hold onto a fund big enough to cover expenses they can't possibly calculate; they just let the insurance take care of the loss.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2010, 05:14:33 pm »

Mass it all together in a holding tank using tubes and destroy the liquid FB. You know that's what it is.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 18, 2010, 05:15:45 pm »

Good points Aqizzar. I had forgotten about the "dead peasant" insurance ;P

And blackmagechill ... I don't understand?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 18, 2010, 05:16:10 pm »

Heard today on NPR that a few tar-balls, suspected (but not confirmed by lab tests yet) to come from the oil slick, were found in the Florida Keys. Seems it made it to the Gulf Loop Current.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 18, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »

Well, I remember hearing a few days ago that it was expected to reach the Current in about a week.  Here's a giant scary picture that might be it.  Could be any day now, yeah.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 18, 2010, 05:34:48 pm »

Look at the 'tail' I think the loop current has already caught it, or at least part of it. ANY oil getting into that current would be a disaster, even if its a small portion of it.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 18, 2010, 06:03:59 pm »

The CLOUDS CLOUDS will stop it!
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Helmaroc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 18, 2010, 06:10:56 pm »

Yar, and 'pon me wooden leg, thar be th' c'rse we set! To the verrry heart of th' briny deeps we go, for glory, and TREASURE!

I wonder how hard it would be to send out a ship and fill up a tank, and bring it to back to sell in Somalia?

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 18, 2010, 06:13:49 pm »

Yar, and 'pon me wooden leg, thar be th' c'rse we set! To the verrry heart of th' briny deeps we go, for glory, and TREASURE!

I wonder how hard it would be to send out a ship and fill up a tank, and bring it to back to sell in Somalia?

I think you're onto something. Let's get some pirates in there to ransom the oil!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 79