Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110470 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #750 on: June 28, 2010, 04:17:44 am »

Uh, the people that died when the well blew up? Have we gone so far along this thing that everyone is forgetting workers died in addition to all the environmental damage?
This conversation, and all the others on the net bitching about BP's negligence, wouldn't have existed if the only cause of DWH incident were the 9 oil workers dead.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:07 am »

The problem here is that corporations are given rights granted to individuals. What gives a corporation the right to free speech? Why should they have any right at all to give funds to a US politician

But here's the kicker you who are calling for crucification are forgetting, the US government sits on a hill in a swamp! There are slippery slopes everywhere. Let's take the above example, my statement that Corporations do not deserve Free speech.

A Newspaper is a corporate entity. If it does not have free speech as an entity, you could claim anything you disagree with isn't about "freedom of press", but about the free speech of the corporate entity. This is also true for other media outlets. We are currently at a certain elevation on the hill. You propose we jog down a few feet and stop? What makes you certain we stop? And why, since we went down once before , wouldn't we go down again when we were annoyed with something else?

Yeah, why should corporations have a right to free speach? You didn't really elaborate on that. A corporate entity is considered a person, but the issue is that they are not a person. People have emotion and ambition. They are both flawed and determined. A corporation is none of this. It exists to make money, and then use that money to make more money, ad infinium. Imagine a real person like that. Someone utterly obsessed with amassing wealth, only loosening their grip ever so slightly so that they will ultimately make more money. The first time I typed that sentence, I used "it" instead of "they" without realizing it. That alone should tell you about how a person like that would be viewed. That level of obssesion, to the point where they would allow serious harm to come to others and themselves in the event it makes more money, would be classified as mental illness in a real person.

The media, including newspapers, are protected from government censorship. This is why freedom of the press existed seperately from freedom of speech. It allowed corporate entites like newspapers a sane level of freedom, unlike what freedom of speech gives them.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 04:39:53 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: June 28, 2010, 04:49:34 am »

There's also the little issue that corporations can spend as much on they like on political advertising, while mortals are essentially limited to $2300 per party and candidate.  Theoretically, an individual person could spend as much as they like on unofficial campaign advertising too, but if you have that kind of money laying around, you're probably a business magnate anyway and handle your income through an incorporated schedule so you pay less taxes than you would as a normal individual earner.

It's conversations like this that make it really hard to call myself a capitalist.  I mean, I do anyway, but it starts to stick in your throat after a while.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: June 28, 2010, 06:27:35 am »

Let's view the other angle. BP stands for "BRITISH petroleum". They have no requirement to be anywhere near the US. I don't know how people here feel, but I knew exactly what my previous employer had in connection to BP.
No it doesn't, they changed their name from British Petroleum to BP. BP doesn't stand for anything.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: June 28, 2010, 08:00:29 am »

This is really one of those threads people need to read through before posting in. Or even re-read.

The problem here is that corporations are given rights granted to individuals. What gives a corporation the right to free speech?

#1 - What does Free Speech have to do with this at all?
This.
I win!

Prosecuting individuals doesn't affect their oil operations. Things are going to fall apart because 'top executives' go to jail? The whole oil infrastructure is going to collapse? Because they can't call meetings? Because they don't have junior vice presidents, senior vice presidents, Chief Executive Officers, Assistant Chief Executive officers, and about a billion people waiting to move up the management chain?
It's like the criminal mastermind that always executes his #2 henchman. Smart people don't want to move up, because they then face execution for the incompetence of their underlings. If they use their brain to circumvent it, then you are punishing people that have no responsibility for the disaster anyway. It is also safer for these smarter people to do stuff elsewhere, like Mexico or Canada. Sure, the US's borders stay pristine, but the next smart bomb is developed by Uruguay.

Will oil giants think twice about investing in the U.S. if we actually hold them accountable? Maybe. But we've long accepted a lower standard of accountability in return for business. That's a mentality we have always bitched about, and yet when the chance to do something about it shows up.....people get cold feet.
Let's question what will SEWAGE TREATMENT executives think about doing business in the US. The smart ones won't. The CSU board of my example of "other screwups" had nothing to do with the dumbasses who planted bad pipes and made bad crossings 60 years ago. Under the precedent of slamming BP, you prepare for their crucifixion too.

Do you guys honestly believe the CEO of BP was sitting down while they proposed the Deepwater Horizon platform going "Well, let's use sub-standard materials here in this section! It'll save us a fortune!"

The evidence points that way, yes.
Citation needed.

Likely several engineers came to him with mumbo-jumbo he didn't understand at all and he asked "Is there a way to get it under budget?" and they said yes.

And OSHA is just citing them the # of violations they have for spilled coffee and poor lighting? Their own subcontractors, their own engineers, the government and others have all been warning them.
A company I worked for got seven OSHA violations from this one inspector. We had a massive bad day when he came through. My bosses weren't pleased, but normal operation of the system resulted in standard buildup around certain areas with "spillage". These areas were unsafe, and periodically cleaned out and avoided by employees between cleaning periods. They still counted as violations. Contrast that to the individual who had to polish materials. OSHA would probably have NOT cited for that.

OSHA is a great organization, it does much to ensure the safety of workers. I wouldn't change that for the world. Something to keep in mind though is citing that x amount of violations occurred isn't a sign of gross incompetence on the part of the CEO. It IS a problem with how they select their plant operators OR with the behavioral environment that has been created at the employee level, but I promise you that the CEO has nothing to do with it except failure to fire the upper echelon when it occurs.

Uh, the people that died when the well blew up? Have we gone so far along this thing that everyone is forgetting workers died in addition to all the environmental damage?
I haven't forgotten them. I must ask you, how come THE FAPPING THING BURNED DOWN? We can rail at BP all we want for being dumbasses that allowed a massive environmental disaster, but the loss of life on the platform isn't because of measures that resulted in tons of oil to leak out. The platform caught fire. It uses the same stuff as are found in thousands of oil platforms. What caused the fire? The cause of that fire is more important than prosecuting the CEO of BP. I'm willing to bet SOMEONE was criminally neglegant and SOMEONE should be held accountable, but in this instance it shouldn't be the CEO of BP.

Yeah, why should corporations have a right to free speach?
I didn't say they should be, I just said be careful about setting precedents. Look up as to the reason that corporations have the rights as individuals. It's scary as hell how it occurred. Be very, VERY careful when starting to establish new precedents, especially ones that mess with rights.

No it doesn't, they changed their name from British Petroleum to BP. BP doesn't stand for anything.
But still the rest of the statement remains. They don't have to deal in the USA. They chose to do so.

I've got an idea. This one is actually a good possibility. Let's crucify whoever is directly above Richard Miller. Richard Miller (the guy who recieved the e-mail my post above showed) said that the new design "might require an extra test called a “cement bond log” used to detect anomalies in the cementing. "

This test was never preformed. Richard Miller SHOULD have "WILL require an extra test...", or the person above him should have required it.
Let's prosecute THAT individual for the oil damage.

As for the deaths, I still wait to see the cause of the fire before I say anyone should be prosecuted.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: June 28, 2010, 08:10:51 am »

Let's view the other angle. BP stands for "BRITISH petroleum". They have no requirement to be anywhere near the US. I don't know how people here feel, but I knew exactly what my previous employer had in connection to BP.
That's a seriously weak argument. They're the same f**king company. Just because they changed their name doesn't change the fact that their main HQ is in Westminster, that their CEO and most of their board are British and that they are the direct corporate descendant of the Anglo-Persian Oil Company.

A better argument is that despite their name and pedigree, they're a huge multinational zaibatsu, not a national oil industry. And I'm all for putting the "execute" in "executive". Once you've stolen/damaged/etc >$1 billion, your life should be forfeit. Pull Bernie Madoff out of storage, drop him and Hayward both into the middle of an oil patch and light that puppy up.

Seriously...we live in a society where somebody stealing a lawn mower gets hit with more severe penalties than these guys. That's not going to change until we make a few (preferably messy) examples.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: June 28, 2010, 08:38:29 am »

That's a seriously weak argument. They're the same f**king company. Just because they changed their name doesn't change the fact that their main HQ is in Westminster, that their CEO and most of their board are British and that they are the direct corporate descendant of the Anglo-Persian Oil Company.

A better argument is that despite their name and pedigree, they're a huge multinational zaibatsu, not a national oil industry. And I'm all for putting the "execute" in "executive". Once you've stolen/damaged/etc >$1 billion, your life should be forfeit. Pull Bernie Madoff out of storage, drop him and Hayward both into the middle of an oil patch and light that puppy up.

Seriously...we live in a society where somebody stealing a lawn mower gets hit with more severe penalties than these guys. That's not going to change until we make a few (preferably messy) examples.
You misunderstand I wasn't saying that it made any difference, merely pointing out a common misconception.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 28, 2010, 09:18:01 am »

You misunderstand I wasn't saying that it made any difference, merely pointing out a common misconception.
I don't see it as a misconcpetion so much as people just rejecting the corporate bullshit notion that they can change their names and people will forget their history. Prince changed his name to an unpronounceable symbol. People still called him "Prince". BP could change their name to Happy Fluffy Baby Seal Company, most people would still call them BP. I vote that it now stands for "Bastard Pommies".

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 28, 2010, 09:22:27 am »

I vote that it now stands for "Bastard Premonsterousdemons".

Fixed.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 11:28:14 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: June 28, 2010, 11:19:51 am »

This just in: Tony Hayward is resigning! I cite as proof the fact that BP says he's not resigning.

And as we've learned over the last few months, BP is like the guy in that logic puzzle who absolutely cannot tell the truth.

Moscow-based oil analyst Konstantin Cherepanov from the Swiss investment bank UBS said he gave little credence to reports of Hayward's resignation.

"I'm sure there has been a misunderstanding. Hayward's resignation at this time and in this place lacks logic," he said.

"It would make sense that Hayward would finish his job tackling with the oil spill and step down afterwards so that the new CEO wouldn't have his burden on his shoulders."

Umm...it would also have made sense for Hayward to not go watch a yacht race during this PR clusterf**k, or to not whine to Gulf residents that he "wants his life back". But sense is for the weak and poor. You know, "the little people".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: June 28, 2010, 05:04:45 pm »

This.
I win!

Yes, enjoy your victory on something no one was really debating you on. Lobbying in America is ****ed, news at 11.

It's like the criminal mastermind that always executes his #2 henchman. Smart people don't want to move up, because they then face execution for the incompetence of their underlings. If they use their brain to circumvent it, then you are punishing people that have no responsibility for the disaster anyway. It is also safer for these smarter people to do stuff elsewhere, like Mexico or Canada. Sure, the US's borders stay pristine, but the next smart bomb is developed by Uruguay.

....This doesn't even make sense. You're using Bond movies to deal with reality....? Bonus points for adding national defense fears and nuclear weapons to your appeal. Yeesh. This is an extreme case which, thankfully, we don't have a lot of industries struggling with. (As in, the coal mining industry.) People seem to act as though being in business means you're incapable of gross, criminal, willful negligence that could result in people dying. The Industrial Revolution was not that long ago. 

Let's question what will SEWAGE TREATMENT executives think about doing business in the US. The smart ones won't. The CSU board of my example of "other screwups" had nothing to do with the dumbasses who planted bad pipes and made bad crossings 60 years ago. Under the precedent of slamming BP, you prepare for their crucifixion too.

Again...what does this have to do with ANYTHING. That isn't a legacy well. We know who built it, when they built, and exactly what materials they used to build it. Are you just throwing examples out at random now? Prosecuting the people that knowingly built the faulty well is leagues away from what you're talking about.

Citation needed.

Read the thread, and gather your own info. It's there, and I'm not restating what I've restated to about 8 people before you in this thread. It's getting tiresome responding to people who pop in and see "kill oil executives" and feel like they have to be the voice of reason.

A company I worked for got seven OSHA violations from this one inspector. We had a massive bad day when he came through. My bosses weren't pleased, but normal operation of the system resulted in standard buildup around certain areas with "spillage". These areas were unsafe, and periodically cleaned out and avoided by employees between cleaning periods. They still counted as violations. Contrast that to the individual who had to polish materials. OSHA would probably have NOT cited for that.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But 600 violations in three years? Does that not make you at least some what suspicious? Or is that just OSHA being paranoid...especially when the well caught fire and blew up?

I haven't forgotten them. I must ask you, how come THE FAPPING THING BURNED DOWN? We can rail at BP all we want for being dumbasses that allowed a massive environmental disaster, but the loss of life on the platform isn't because of measures that resulted in tons of oil to leak out. The platform caught fire. It uses the same stuff as are found in thousands of oil platforms. What caused the fire? The cause of that fire is more important than prosecuting the CEO of BP. I'm willing to bet SOMEONE was criminally neglegant and SOMEONE should be held accountable, but in this instance it shouldn't be the CEO of BP.

So you're argument is that it must have been a worker that was responsible for the fires...and therefore responsible for the deaths? And therefore BP has no liability? Even if it turns out that design decisions made/short cuts taken by BP resulted in leaks, which caught fire, which blew the well, which caused oil to spill out?

I really think you need to read the thread, and all the other information people have collected, before you ride that one email you discovered on Google like a pony.

This conversation, and all the others on the net bitching about BP's negligence, wouldn't have existed if the only cause of DWH incident were the 9 oil workers dead.

And if BP hadn't basically laughed in America's face.
And if their CEO had kept his mouth shut.
And if BP didn't have over 100 years of questionable business decisions behind them. (Back when they were just good ol' British Petroleum, a name change made to....yes, rebrand their public image.)
And if BP didn't have an poor safety record to begin with.

I still disagree, in the end. When you start totaling up the number of deaths on BP oil wells in the last 10 years...I'd still be calling for some kind of action. If you destroy the environment through poor practice, the loss of prestige and stock and the cost of the cleanup is just desserts. But when people start dying, there needs to be more accountability. People should not just get to slip quietly back off to the Hamptons to reflect on how they're going to spend their money for the rest of their non-industry days.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 05:21:18 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: June 28, 2010, 05:20:18 pm »

It's conversations like this that make it really hard to call myself a capitalist.  I mean, I do anyway, but it starts to stick in your throat after a while.
If it makes you happier, I dont think you qualify as a capitalist proper unless you have capital.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: June 28, 2010, 05:55:11 pm »

Yes, enjoy your victory on something no one was really debating you on. Lobbying in America is ****ed, news at 11.
People were asking me what free speech has to do with it. The answer is Lobbying only exists because corporations have free speech.

....This doesn't even make sense. You're using Bond movies to deal with reality....? Bonus points for adding national defense fears and nuclear weapons to your appeal. Yeesh. This is an extreme case which, thankfully, we don't have a lot of industries struggling with. (As in, the coal mining industry.) People seem to act as though being in business means you're incapable of gross, criminal, willful negligence that could result in people dying. The Industrial Revolution was not that long ago. 
Had to leave the original quote there so you can read what you were replying to. Smart Bombs are not equal to nuclear bombs. They aren't even really in the same development path. It's an issue of robotics and space technology that allows them. When you start putting jailtime to things that people don't have control over, IE their Employees, then you are taking about creating an environment where companies would rather go elsewhere. I can think of SEVEN local incidents that occured that, while not up to the scale of BP's issue, if BP's head was prosecuted on criminal issues would have been prosecuted in such a way.

Again...what does this have to do with ANYTHING. That isn't a legacy well. We know who built it, when they built, and exactly what materials they used to build it. Are you just throwing examples out at random now? Prosecuting the people that knowingly built the faulty well is leagues away from what you're talking about.
The sewage pipes were replaced after a major blowout. You'd think our city would have learned and replaced the rest, they didn't. In fact one of the newer ones actually ended up leaking as well.
You accuse me of not providing relavent examples, I am providing you perfectly good ones. We are talking about people vunerable to criminal prosecution because of screwups the moment you open the door to such actions by prosecuting BP. I maintain this will damage the US's economy as a whole and discourage anyone from staying here if they are in business. For an example I provide a pretty serious 'spill' that was done by a government organization acting within regulations and without OSHA complaints.

Quote from: Kogan
Citation needed.

Read the thread, and gather your own info. It's there, and I'm not restating what I've restated to about 8 people before you in this thread. It's getting tiresome responding to people who pop in and see "kill oil executives" and feel like they have to be the voice of reason.
I did. Nowhere does it say he did what the claim was made, that he decided to use Sub-standard materials. In fact, after reading such stuff I did my own research and discovered that wasn't the case. They honestly felt they were up to standards, particularly at the top. Provide a link backing up your claim, or stop making it. Nowhere in this thread has you or anyone else provided any links saying the BP executive approved substandard building practices or Substandard materials.

Normally, I'd agree with you. But 600 violations in three years? Does that not make you at least some what suspicious? Or is that just OSHA being paranoid...especially when the well caught fire and blew up?
600 violations in three years for a company with how many oil platforms?

Not all of these are BP, but this is a lot of fapping oil platforms in a rather small area...
Those "OSHA Violations" aren't just those in the gulf though. They also include BP refineries, BP gas stations, BP Apple farms. Anything BP operates can be subjected to an OSHA inspection, which can find a violation. They aren't a small company. No I do not think BP owns an apple farm, but if they did it could rack up one of those 600 violations for such things as having a ladder missing a sticker.

So you're argument is that it must have been a worker that was responsible for the fires...and therefore responsible for the deaths? And therefore BP has no liability? Even if it turns out that design decisions made/short cuts taken by BP resulted in leaks, which caught fire, which blew the well, which caused oil to spill out?
No, that is a strawman you have painstakenly constructed to be my opinion. My opinion is that someone is criminally negligent, and instead of prosecuting the BP executive, we should find out who really is responsible and prosecute them. In fact, later on I named a name which I think should be investigated. Richard Miller ring any bells? This is the guy who I think was in charge of designing the thing. The guy who had the responsibility to say "No, it has to be like this."

I really think you need to read the thread, and all the other information people have collected, before you ride that one email you discovered on Google like a pony.
Guess where I discovered that the e-mail existed. I've been watching this for a bit now.

And if BP hadn't basically laughed in America's face.
-Citation Needed-
Your claim is he basically laughed. All I see is behavior of a typical executive. He can go and do whatever he wants because he really can't do shit about it. If you were talking about sending all their engineers on holiday I'd agree, but I believe they have their enginerring team working around the clock to solve this issue.
And if their CEO had kept his mouth shut.
Or opened it with the truth from the beginning.
And if BP didn't have over 100 years of questionable business decisions behind them. (Back when they were just good ol' British Petroleum, a name change made to....yes, rebrand their public image.)
Just about every company has a similar record.
And if BP didn't have an poor safety record to begin with.
This is something that they certainly should have spent more money on.

I still disagree, in the end. When you start totaling up the number of deaths on BP oil wells in the last 10 years...I'd still be calling for some kind of action. If you destroy the environment through poor practice, the loss of prestige and stock and the cost of the cleanup is just desserts. But when people start dying, there needs to be more accountability. People should not just get to slip quietly back off to the Hamptons to reflect on how they're going to spend their money for the rest of their non-industry days.
I can accept that, but I feel you need to hold every individual responsible for the actions they do. The employees who mess up or the direct supervision, not the management that manages the management that manages the supervision of the employees who mess up.
A directive from the top of "We need to earn 1.2% better profit this quarter" translates into "You need to make a new wingnut out of duct tape!" You cannot punish the leader for the directive, but you can punish the corner-cutting follower who decided that this was the best way to carry out the leader's plans.

Find the people REALLY responsible and don't just cut up the guy at the top because he makes a ton of money.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: June 28, 2010, 06:42:50 pm »

Smart Bombs are not equal to nuclear bombs. They aren't even really in the same development path. It's an issue of robotics and space technology that allows them. When you start putting jailtime to things that people don't have control over, IE their Employees, then you are taking about creating an environment where companies would rather go elsewhere.

I'm just going to leave that out there. The part about bosses don't have control of their employees, and aren't responsible for them. As for brain drain, and making the leap between oil executives and weapons scientists....no. Just no. Smart bombs OR nuclear weapons, that's a specious comparison. 

You'd think our city would have learned and replaced the rest, they didn't. In fact one of the newer ones actually ended up leaking as well.
You accuse me of not providing relavent examples, I am providing you perfectly good ones. We are talking about people vunerable to criminal prosecution because of screwups the moment you open the door to such actions by prosecuting BP.

A. Did anyone die because of the sewage leak? Did the workers installing it die?
B. I see willful risk taking that resulted in people dying in BP's case. You're saying "screw up" and using a non-oil, non-industry, city project screw up anecdote to reinforce your belief. They did sewer work in my town too. It sucked.

I did. Nowhere does it say he did what the claim was made, that he decided to use Sub-standard materials. In fact, after reading such stuff I did my own research and discovered that wasn't the case. They honestly felt they were up to standards, particularly at the top. Provide a link backing up your claim, or stop making it. Nowhere in this thread has you or anyone else provided any links saying the BP executive approved substandard building practices or Substandard materials.

By reading the thread, I mean the links too.

*sigh*

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/05/16/60minutes/main6490197.shtml
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The article goes on for six pages. You read the rest.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57121.540

From Non-Sapient, who has actually worked on oil rigs.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/cheat-sheet/item/bp-used-riskier-well-design/oil-spill/?cid=tag:all1

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/17/bp-safety-violations-osha_n_578775.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/bp-has-been-fined-by-osha-760-times-has-an-awful-track-record-for-safety-2010-6

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/06/16/bp.refinery.reaction/index.html

I'm just going to stop there. You're asking for a smoking gun or a memo that says "Cut corners, muwhahahah." There is ample evidence that it's happening without that. Also, while it's cute that you try to undercut OSHA's safety violations by claiming BP has a million fringe, non oil businesses that require OSHA supervision....BS. BP has 600+ violations. The next biggest, 4. Or is BP the only one with millions facilities? Because they aren't the dominant oil company in the US, even before DWH.

My opinion is that someone is criminally negligent, and instead of prosecuting the BP executive, we should find out who really is responsible and prosecute them. In fact, later on I named a name which I think should be investigated. Richard Miller ring any bells? This is the guy who I think was in charge of designing the thing. The guy who had the responsibility to say "No, it has to be like this."

And if it turns out he's been pressured by his bosses to take short cuts and approve sub-standard designs...what then? Should we let their mid-level engineer take the fall for their overall policy decisions? Are they not where the buck stops?

Your claim is he basically laughed. All I see is behavior of a typical executive. He can go and do whatever he wants because he really can't do shit about it. If you were talking about sending all their engineers on holiday I'd agree, but I believe they have their enginerring team working around the clock to solve this issue.

Now you're just nitpicking. I'm saying their overall response early in the disaster was disrespectful to the public that buys their gas. They down played it, tried for as long as they could to conceal the HD video of the leak that they had set up, had their jackass CEO speak off the cuff as though this wasn't a huge freaking deal...yeah, I get the impression that they essentially laughed this off and then realized we are quite seriously pissed about all this. There's no citation for that, and I trust you can read the difference between opinion and informed conclusion. And you can't fault them for the perception they could throw money at this and make it go away; our regulation and punishment of them up until now has only reinforced that perception. It's going to stay that way until we actually hold them accountable for the dozens dead, and the hundreds injured.

Just about every company has a similar record.

No, they don't. Nor was almost every other company been involved in the whole Iran thing that made British Petroleum even more notorious.

A directive from the top of "We need to earn 1.2% better profit this quarter" translates into "You need to make a new wingnut out of duct tape!" You cannot punish the leader for the directive, but you can punish the corner-cutting follower who decided that this was the best way to carry out the leader's plans.

Find the people REALLY responsible and don't just cut up the guy at the top because he makes a ton of money.

Ok, here's where I could possibly agree with you. There is always the issue of management and policy decisions trickling down and it's hard to find out who really made the call that got people killed.

EXCEPT that warnings have gone from the top to the bottom in BP's case. If there has been a systematic pattern of ignoring safety violations, if mangers at all levels expressed their concerns and the word from the top continually was "Don't care', then you hold the people at the top responsible.

I find it hard to believe that, with hundreds of millions of dollars at stake for even a month's worth of delays, that BP execs weren't hovering over the phones going "Progress report! You need 18 more stabilizers?! We don't have that kind of time! How many do you have on site? Two? Do it. No, I don't have time for you to do the math, and neither do they. Just get it done. Wait, we're out of concrete too? Jesus christ, do we have any liner left? Ok, just use the liner for the rest."
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 06:53:44 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: June 28, 2010, 09:29:49 pm »

If you say that you need a 1.2% profit increase, and imply that people will be fired if it doesn't happen, then that is coercion, and it is your responsibility to make sure that the system(company) can handle it...

There are all manner of laws governing companies, anti-monopoly laws come to mind. People do impose regulations on companies, and companies do move to other countries. The question is, what is acceptable? Looking at the damage caused by this oil spill, to all manner of industries, not to mention the very real impact of the environmental disaster, I don't feel that it is worth having businesses operating in this way...
« Last Edit: June 28, 2010, 09:36:59 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 79