Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110452 times)

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #720 on: June 27, 2010, 03:41:31 pm »

Wat
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 27, 2010, 03:43:02 pm »

I think it's more building a gold mine out of toilet paper under a populated city because it's cheaper. Sure you will save a few bucks, but this is a huge risk to the employees and the city if the thing collapses. Ultimately it will be your fault for not making sure that the people are safe, and while they may not have meant to collapse the mine they still need to take responsibility for making the choice of money over a disaster.

I'm predicting several people will go 'missing' soon, followed by years of people saying they sighted BP executives living in exotic locations.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 27, 2010, 03:44:23 pm »

On the other hand, this was more than just negligence...

It seems that they wilfully maintained a dangerous environment in order to maximise short-term profit. This is good capitalism, not so good on the social front however...

P.S.
Anyone post this yet?
This isn't the Xcom thread...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 27, 2010, 03:44:38 pm »

Anyone post this yet?

Wat
Just Sarah Palin in a Big Daddy chasing down a seagull from a gushing oil well. You know, "drill baby, drill". It's all those liberal environmentalists' fault for not letting oil companies drill closer to shore.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 27, 2010, 03:47:42 pm »

Granted The ability to drill at specific locations/have a cap on number of wells =/= Safety protocols.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: June 27, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »

Guys, the Eternal Father Glenn Beck visited me in my dreams and, between his bouts of fat man-child blubbering, has gifted me with the knowledge of how to clean up the spill and thwart the evil Liberals at the same time. We have to kill all the seagulls, and sacrifice them on an altar made of turtle shells.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: June 27, 2010, 03:52:07 pm »

Granted The ability to drill at specific locations/have a cap on number of wells =/= Safety protocols.
thatsthepoint.jpg

I was waiting to get my car checked up at the local toyota dealership and they had fox news on.

A bunch of conservatives were bitching about stuff that had nothing to do with stricter safety regulations. Instead, they were blaming Obama for not doing enough.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, the government regulates corporations too much!
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah, now the government isn't doing enough to clean up the corporation's mess!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #727 on: June 27, 2010, 04:45:02 pm »

I just get the impression that short of stuffing new borns in the pipe instead of golf balls and tires, BP is going to get to walk away from this. Their stock may stuck, their prestige may be shot, but the people who run it still get to be rich and free. I wish we could some see some actual justice. Instead, we just tack some zeros on and call it "corporate justice."

China does it right.  They execute these people.

*snip*
Ah... selective ignorance is just great ain't it?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: June 27, 2010, 05:05:26 pm »

If people can blame Bush for hurricanes, they can blame Obama for oil spills.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: June 27, 2010, 05:16:57 pm »

If people can blame Bush for hurricanes, they can blame Obama for oil spills.
Thing is, they knew about Katrina incoming. The Army corp of engineers were responsible for those levies. Before and after Katrina, FEMA, a government organization that had been retarded for years, was supposed to take care of things but didn't. Bush did nothing for days, and everyone's screaming for the government to do more.

In this situation, it was a corporation cutting corners, not being regulated by a government department that has been retarded for years. A no warning explosion and after Obama thought BP had a handle on it because everyone was screaming NO GOVERNMENT INTERFERING WITH CORPORATIONS, now everyone's screaming for the government to be involved.

So no, no one's blaming Bush for Katrina. We're blaming him for non-response. His late response was a rather sad attempt at, "I really do like black people".

Obama's mistake was assuming BP knew what they were doing. Now he's attempting a fix while everyone's pointing fingers. This was a man-made, human error disaster.

When Halliburton of all things, is telling you that your safety-cutting is bad like they did to BP before the blowup, then your shit's fucked up.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 05:22:45 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: June 27, 2010, 07:49:17 pm »

These are anger responses. The oil spill is shitty, but forcing the companies to pay for their own mess really is justice. Are you really suggesting that we guillotine these guys?

Er no. Jail time. Criminally negligent homicide (echo...echo...echo....) There are more forms of justice besides reparations and executions.

It's not like they were being malicious, nobody wants to lose their vital resource and have to spend millions of dollars, even if they can actually do so.

So you're defending taking short cuts to maximize profits? Even though it resulted in the largest environmental disaster in US history and deaths in more than one instance? You're defending ignoring safety experts and employees who warn you the measures you're NOT taking is dangerous? Even though they bribed regulatory agencies to ridiculous levels to assure that safety regulations, there to protect workers, could be ignored without consequence, bribed them so they wouldn't even look at the wells which were essentially half built? All in the name of maximizing profit?

I didn't figure you for a neo-capitalist, and even less an apologist. I'm all for checking our anger, but not when it turns us into ****ing suckers.

What truly kills me is, if this were one man responsible for all the decision making, people would ask for his head. They would claim malice, because surely one man must have to take responsibility for so many reckless decisions.

But because they're a corporation, we some how diffuse the responsibility, so instead of a real penalty, it's just a bunch of little penalties sprinkled and trickled down the company and the economy. Corporate justice has always been a double standard compared to individual justice.

And corporations continue to feel secure enough to push the boundaries of their diffused liability. The whole banking collapse and all that BS is the same thing, minus people dying. Even though they practically brought the economy to its knees with risky lending practice and inventing wealth out of nothing, they get a free pass because oh oh, they don't have a malice, a corporation is different than an individual. Madoff went to jail and everyone thought they got justice; Madoff was just too stupid to insulate himself with a corporation.

So I want to see some real corporate accountability. Someone, an individual or a small group of people, made those decisions and they should be held responsible.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010, 08:04:36 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordMelvin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: June 27, 2010, 08:02:29 pm »

There are more forms of justice besides reparations and executions.

No there aren't! Are you forgetting what game's forums you're on?

The place variety of justice comes in is when we deal with type of execution.

I vote magma.
This space unintentionally left blank.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: June 27, 2010, 08:03:00 pm »

So you're defending taking short cuts to maximize profits? Even though it resulted in the largest environmental disaster in US history and deaths in more than one instance? You're defending ignoring safety experts and employees who warn you the measures you're NOT taking is dangerous? Even though they bribed regulatory agencies to ridiculous levels to assure that safety regulations, there to protect workers, could be ignored without consequence, bribed them so they wouldn't even look at the wells which were essentially half built? All in the name of maximizing profit?

I'm pretty sure he's saying those things are not, themselves, motivated by malicious intent, and that physical punishments like imprisonment aren't warranted for that.  I don't know where to stand on that, but it's always a sure sign that you need to back the Hell up, when you start accusing people of defending what you're arguing against just because they're not as vicious as you about going after people.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: June 27, 2010, 08:06:56 pm »

Hmm, criminal negligence can, in fact, be punished with prison, for the record, regardless of the intent, AFAIK.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: June 27, 2010, 08:08:35 pm »

I'm just fed up with corporate malfeasance. The homes market, the banking industry, BP, government contractors, we have been giving them a free pass for years. Oop, they screwed up. They lose money, they make it back. They rebrand. They shift assets around. They go back to work, assured that if they screw up again and get caught, it's only a set back, not a real punishment. And hey, if you actually make a net profit despite settlement costs and reparations, why not UP the ante and doing something even more questionable that further increases profits.

And I'm always concerned when I see people apologizing or rationalizing on corporations' behalf. It's like we've been programmed to treat corporations better than we'd treat a person.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 47 48 [49] 50 51 ... 79