Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110335 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #570 on: June 17, 2010, 10:00:50 pm »

How hard does one have to work to get oil off their skin?
However hard it is to use a grinder.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: June 18, 2010, 01:46:34 am »

Not sure if it's been said but the birdies being handled are never the same.  They are cleaner yep but it's a very traumatic experience for them.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: June 18, 2010, 02:39:26 am »

Personally, I think this has reached the level of criminally negligent homicide, and someone needs to go down for it.

"Homicide" is too strong a word.  Even "manslaughter" would surely devolve into an unfair witchhunt.  Really, BP has been beat up far too much over this.

I agree. Its like we're making a scapegoat for our collective enviromental sins anymore.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: June 18, 2010, 04:55:50 am »

20 rig workers dead in 5 years...if you knowingly take short cuts that lead to the death of people, that's the definition of criminally negligent homicide. Once, sure, that's a foul but you can excuse it as a one time thing, pay out compensation to the family, do the cleanup, say you're sorry, get on with business.

But the volume of complaints by the regulation agencies that weren't going through industry capture is mounting. Warnings from their own people. Warnings from OSHA. Warnings from Haliburton. (Haliburton, FFS! What does that tell you!) All that taken together, combined with the deaths that inevitably came from taking such short cuts...

Criminally negligent homicide. You could argue that the company as whole will suffer through stock losses, bad press and clean up costs...but the people who made the decision still get to go home with large bank accounts and nothing on their record. That seems wrong to me, especially considering the same people who were making the calls in 2005 are the same ones who made the call on Horizon. That's a pattern of behavior, the fact it's by a corporation doesn't mitigate the guilt. People made those decisions.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:54 am »

In case it wasn't obvious, I was being facetious.  Of course it's criminally negligent homicide, along with criminally negligent all-sorts-of-shit, I was just using that as a prompt to link a video of Representative Barton saying, "Hey, sorry BP, ol' friend ol' buddy ol' pal, this committee be whack with all the angry in here."

And yeah, it's becoming clear what BP's business strategy was all along.  I'm remembering the touchy-feely commercials they were running up until the spill.  Apparently, at some point they decided to skimp out on any kind of safety features or quality control, leading to 760 noted violations in five years, and spend the money they saved on a slick, new-wave ad campaign to look like the good-guy energy company.  If one good thing comes out of this mess, at least image-glossing advertising got knocked on its ass.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: June 18, 2010, 02:31:07 pm »

Oh yeah. 100% missed your sarcasm there. That's what I get for being political and stuff at 5am.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: June 18, 2010, 06:59:25 pm »

I have two maybe three solutions...
plug the holes with cats(we all know why)
or dump magma on it... it might burn, but ehh... I'd rather have a slightly warmer gulf than the dirtiest swim I've ever taken.
or we can put a bin full of burning lignite down there and remove the gulf of mexico from existance.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: June 18, 2010, 07:36:20 pm »

I vote #3, but that may be just because the universe hates me and I want to hurt it...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2010, 08:29:11 pm »

I think the US gov't should allow BP's competitors to collect the oil at their own expense.  Oil they collect belongs to them.
An incentive for oil companies to develop efficient ways to grab that oil for themselves.

If another oil company can do a better quick fix?  Let them go at it, if they succeed, they get the oil they collect in-between then and the 'permanent' fix.  Obviously BP is doing a stellar job right now.

No strings attached.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: June 18, 2010, 08:31:00 pm »

Not sure if I like that idea... that way they would be incentivised to put off the "permanent fix" for as long as possible.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:37 pm »

Not sure if I like that idea... that way they would be incentivised to put off the "permanent fix" for as long as possible.

BP is doing the 'permanent' fix already.  Isn't that going to be done in August?  Or September?

That is a long time...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: June 18, 2010, 08:38:13 pm »

I think someone said that they are a bit ahead of schedule, but a month or two is still a long time when you consider how much is spewing per day.

Then theres the Hurricane wildcard.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: June 18, 2010, 09:25:58 pm »

Christ, that would be just what we need. A cat 4 ripping up everything they've done so far, and spreading the goop even farther. The Gulf would look like an oil frappe.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: June 18, 2010, 10:41:35 pm »

Storms don't significantly affect conditions much more than a few meters below the surface directly. The surface work would be largely undone, of course, but the real danger is the way the oil would be moved inland.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: June 18, 2010, 10:56:25 pm »

I am quite serious when I say I think the outrage against BP by everyone and their politician is just piling onto a scapegoat, smearing blood onto their hands from Caesar's corpse and proclaiming that they are liberators in the forum.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 79