Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 110319 times)

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea
« Reply #210 on: May 18, 2010, 07:41:17 pm »

Yar, and 'pon me wooden leg, thar be th' c'rse we set! To the verrry heart of th' briny deeps we go, for glory, and TREASURE!

I wonder how hard it would be to send out a ship and fill up a tank, and bring it to back to sell in Somalia?

I think you're onto something. Let's get some pirates in there to ransom the oil!
Well, we already know that pirates sink, so we could just cart a bunch of them to the rig and throw them overboard. ;D
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2010, 01:11:33 am »

Gogogogogo NYUKULAR OPTION!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
]
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:27 pm »

I just saw Armok's face in that image.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2010, 05:09:27 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/05/19/gulf.oil.spill/index.html?hpt=T1

The spill has now reached the Louisiana wetlands.

I think BP needs to have its ego deflated......

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2010, 05:20:13 pm »

Screw their ego, lets deflate their pocket book.

"The flow rate from the tube has reached 3,000 barrels of crude (126,000 gallons) and 14 million cubic feet of gas a day, Suttles said, adding that crews hope to increase those numbers in coming days."
Great! Now you only need to increase that by about 47,000 barrels a day and you will get it as fast as it is coming out!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 05:22:11 pm by alway »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:19 pm »

Supernova are industrial accidents.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2010, 05:30:47 pm »

I'll just leave this here.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2010, 11:47:33 pm »

Hopefully some good will come of this. Hopefully it will be wrung of all the good it has. One should not trust a hope.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55:45 pm »

I'm tempted to volunteer, know any organizations that would financially support me volunteering there?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2010, 11:59:44 pm »

I'm tempted to volunteer, know any organizations that would financially support me volunteering there?

No.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 20, 2010, 12:05:15 am »

I know church groups usually go down to Mexico for volunteer work at minimal price, I was wondering if there's something similar going on.
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 20, 2010, 05:39:59 am »

You would think that they could stick something into the pipe that would expand once it was in there, a balloon for example, if it is narrow enough and you should be able to force it down the hole, then it could expand and be anchored against a significant stretch of the pipe, fill it with concrete to make it last. Doesn't work if the pipe can't handle the pressure once it is plugged though...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2010, 07:48:09 am »

We don't really know what the technical details are, because they're not public. I would not hesitate to say that as the pipe is leaking in multiple places, we can assume that it is critically compromised. By that I mean that the structure and materials are damaged to where they can no longer perform their original functions, like withstanding high pressure.

I think the depth is what has halted repairs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to stop something like that, just a good engineer.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2010, 11:06:57 am »

Also, is the pipe still in the borehole? If it is, then removing it may be impossible with the machinery currently deployed. They may need to put together an unmanned sub with the tools and strength required to do it.

If the pipe is in the borehole then I could see it still channeling oil and gas all along its length, with leaks at multiple points.

But I dunno if that's even the case. Seems like it should be, but who knows?
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2010, 11:09:38 am »

We don't really know what the technical details are, because they're not public. I would not hesitate to say that as the pipe is leaking in multiple places, we can assume that it is critically compromised. By that I mean that the structure and materials are damaged to where they can no longer perform their original functions, like withstanding high pressure.

I think the depth is what has halted repairs. It doesn't take a genius to figure out how to stop something like that, just a good engineer.

The main thing is that they haven't done this kind of capping stuff at this depth before, but yea they have an entire toolbox of options and won't run out of options for a while. One or more than one used together is going to have to work.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 79