Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79

Author Topic: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - One Year Later  (Read 106759 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: There's a Hole in the Bottom of the Sea - Plugged, After a Fashion
« Reply #1140 on: December 21, 2010, 09:10:57 am »

Well, look at BP's history. It's changed it's name before to try and shed its horrible record of violations and abuses. I don't know if the Gulf Oil Spill really meets up with some of the other really shady things they've done...but the bad publicity and financial reaming they're going to receive might be enough to convince them to rebrand again.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: December 21, 2010, 02:50:38 pm »

Question: What does BP stand for?

A. Big Problem
B. Bad Publicity
C. British Petroleum
D. Nothing, it's not an acronym
E. None of the above
F. All of the above (including E)

Mipe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: December 22, 2010, 01:37:00 am »

G. Beer & Fungi!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:01 am »

Well, what incredible timing.  Speaking of British Petroleum...

An investigation by the U.S. Senate (which is to say, some guys sat around in a conference room and batted around some ideas) has decided that Abdel Basset al-Megrahi was released from prison to Libya on "compassionate medical grounds" due to economic pressure involving a British Petroleum contract with the Libyan government.  This doesn't "prove" anything one way or the other, what's important is that it is now the official, public opinion of the United States government that the British government freed a bona fide terrorist on complete bullshit terms, to secure an oil deal with Libya on behalf on BP.  You can read the full text of the report itself on Senator Robert Menendez's website.

And there's your news for the day.  I can't wait to hear what the British press will have to say about this.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: December 22, 2010, 06:53:54 am »

Jeez, someone was way too enthusiastic writing the description of how the plane crashed.

Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: December 22, 2010, 06:59:16 am »

Jeez, someone was way too enthusiastic writing the description of how the plane crashed.

It's the United States Senate.  Melodrama is all they have in their pitiful little lives.

As a bit of an editor myself with a stick up my ass for formality, I'm a little shocked at how many contractions there are in this file.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: January 20, 2011, 02:01:45 pm »

Truly, that document is a product of the US government.

I am convinced at this point in time that no amount of good politics could fix our country's political system. There would have to be a fundamental change of viewpoint at the individual level, and the federal government controls the education system.

In other words, logically speaking, the conclusion is that the only hope for a big enough catalyst is a revolutionary movement, such as a religious event akin to the "Great Awakening", or something bloody, undesirable and of questionable fruitfulness, like the French or Russian revolutions.

Thoughts? This is not meant to be a religious observation, just a logical one. Religion or fanaticism are the only things that motivate humanity individually and corporately on a large enough scale to change the overall outlook of many individuals (as in the United States). My religious convictions are not a secret, but again this is a scholarly observation and not a religious one.
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: January 20, 2011, 03:03:56 pm »

I need an image macro of the Grim Reaper riding a bullet train to hell off the rails.

That's what a necro thread derail looks like.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: January 20, 2011, 06:36:53 pm »

So, updates, anyone?
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: January 20, 2011, 07:11:35 pm »

So, updates, anyone?

Not really.  Lawsuits take a while, and the cleanup is in God's hands now apparently.  Here's a list of things and issues and stands from a couple weeks ago.  More immediately-

In other words, logically speaking, the conclusion is that the only hope for a big enough catalyst is a revolutionary movement, such as a religious event akin to the "Great Awakening", or something bloody, undesirable and of questionable fruitfulness, like the French or Russian revolutions.

First, what the fuck are you talking about, and why is it in this thread of all places?  Does this even have anything to do with the oil spill?  The federal government's biggest failing before, during, and hopefully not after the spill was an insistence on not stepping in unless absolutely necessary, and not really realizing what "absolutely necessary" means.  I'm taking these lawsuits as a good sign.  But if you're going to necro-rant my oil thread, you should at least mention the oil.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: January 24, 2011, 11:00:24 pm »

Well, I was mentioning the US's general bad political scene (as evidenced in the document just presented, which I referenced). It's deteriorating at a very fast rate, and even the political parties have shown signs of fracturing. And the corruption and idiocy you are so fond of pointing out are a result of the individuals whom the government represents.

My point being that if you want better action from the government, good politics won't fix our problems. The individuals themselves have to be changed. Thus, the need for a major catalyst. Historically speaking, revolutions in thought of that magnitude at the "grassroots" level have only come about as a result of religious or fanatical events. The French, Russian, and Chinese Revolutions, the Great Awakening, the Reformation.

I'm just stating that my analysis is that we can expect continued general deterioration and corruption because it reflects the state of the average individual in our country, which is one of apathy.
I have a lot of respect for you, Aqizzar, and I expect you to be able to connect the dots without so much explanation :)
The sigs topic:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: January 24, 2011, 11:04:32 pm »

That wasn't the explanation I was asking for, but thanks for the condescending attitude.  I was asking for why you decided to drag up this thread to post it in.  And once again, what does that have to do with the oil spill?  Make me believe Architect.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: January 24, 2011, 11:19:46 pm »

Make me believe Architect.

Yes, sir.
My apologies: there was no sarcasm in that statement. I really do respect you, after months of reading and enjoying your posts. The problem with text is that you can read anything into it, even with a friendly emoticon afterward. No condescension was intended.

A document about the oil spill was brought up. Comments were made about its general bad quality and its reflection on the state of the US Government. This thought has been brewing for a while: about our government being designed to represent the people, and the way that it actually does when you consider that we choose our representatives, and consider the general attitude of its citizens.
So, corruption and idiocy, if present in our government (along with a general apathy as reflected by its actions before, during, and after the oil spill), are reflections of its citizens. And thus to continue to discuss fixing our problems with good politics is rather futile.

Admittedly, not the best tie-in. Defending it beyond that would be pointless, because there was nothing more to it originally. But this has always been used to discuss politics surrounding the spill and various related topics, such as the lack of responsibility by any party throughout the incident. It's always more interesting to zoom out and look at the big picture, going from a single document to the government it represents, isn't it? I thought it was an interesting topic of conversation.
The sigs topic:

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: January 24, 2011, 11:29:12 pm »

Fair enough then.  Although I can't recall which document you're referring to, so could you refresh my memory?

But yeah, the point is there.  Politicians always talk about wanting a government as good as the people (since modesty is eternally in vogue in politics).  I'm not sure where exactly it stands, and I try not to worry about it.  But any time I hear about a Federal judge who owns stock in Transocean ruling on oil drilling rights, or Senators saying the spill was caused by too much regulation, or forcing the company that owned the well and directed the drilling to pay for the damage is tantamount to Communist nationalization, I really have to wonder what the word "pandering" means, and who's pandering to whom.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: January 24, 2011, 11:39:35 pm »

It's the United States Senate.  Melodrama is all they have in their pitiful little lives.

As a bit of an editor myself with a stick up my ass for formality, I'm a little shocked at how many contractions there are in this file.

I didn't look back a page and realize this topic had previously been inactive since September. I haven't been here in a few months, you know. Anyway... it was the Senate publication you posted a link to.
The sigs topic:
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79