Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mining and stonepiles?  (Read 927 times)

MichaelZon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Mining and stonepiles?
« on: May 11, 2010, 01:57:43 pm »

Iīm playing the 2010 version and I have a noob question. So as I mine, 90% of the mined tiles have various stones. Now I donīt know what to do with these, should I make a garbage dump and put it all there, or make a huge stone stockpile?
Oh, and a bonus question: Is the current 0.31.03 version playable, I have heard problems with armor and stuff like that, so should I wait for bugfixes/new versions?

Head Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mining and stonepiles?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:11:50 pm »

Iīm playing the 2010 version and I have a noob question. So as I mine, 90% of the mined tiles have various stones. Now I donīt know what to do with these, should I make a garbage dump and put it all there, or make a huge stone stockpile?
Oh, and a bonus question: Is the current 0.31.03 version playable, I have heard problems with armor and stuff like that, so should I wait for bugfixes/new versions?

I'm in my 5th year of dwarf fortress 0.31.03, so yes its playable. There are alot of bugs, but there are also workarounds for most things at the dwarf fortress wiki - http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Main_Page Just don't get too attached to your dwarves, as there's likely to be alot of deaths. Hehe! The new military interface has a steep learning curve, just keep that in mind. You'll have to do alot of reading on the wiki/forums to figure it out.

As for rock lying about your fort, it shouldn't pose a problem. But there are various ways of dealing with it. A Stone stockpile is not recommended early on as your dwarves will do nothing but move rock and ignore their other duties, which will lead to problems. I recommend leaving the stone where it is for now, but if it really bugs you just place a stone mason's worskshop smack dab in the middle of it and make doors, stone blocks, tables, thrones, cabinets, coffers, armor stands, weapon racks, etc... the mason will clear the stone out quite nicely in an area and be productive at the same time. :) Hope that helps!

*edit* Craftsdwarf workshop (or two) will also do the trick... working together with the Mason's workshop you should have clear cavern floors in no time! Also, be sure to make your main entrance and main hallways at least 3 squares wide. I build mine 5 squares wide, all the way to the trade depot, and make the trade depot area quite large and then throw a few craftdwarf workshops next to it, along with finished goods stockpiles.

Jeff/HH
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 02:18:25 pm by Head Hunter »

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:28:20 pm »

There's also the ever popular dwarven atomsmasher.  Build a drawbridge (it has to raise, not retract) directly on top of ground (i.e. don't channel under it.  Link it to a lever and raise it.  Designate a garbage dump underneath the raised portion, and deginate all stone you dont want for dumping.  Your dwarves will haul stone to the garbage dump.  When they finish (make sure no one is still hauling!  If you want to do this before they finish clearing all the stone out, remove the dump designations), pull the lever.  Anything occupying a square that the raised portion of the drawbridge ends up in will be vaporized.

For safety concerns, my trash compactor is built as such:
Code: [Select]
R: Ramp
W: Wall
b: Raised bridge
B: Bridge anchor (when the bridge is raised, one edge stays on the map as an impassible "wall"; that is this edge)

RWWWW
RWbBW
RWbBW
RWbBW
RWbBW
RWbBW
RWWWW

With the garbage dump defined as the top of the wall next to the ramps.  Dwarves will walk up the ramp, stand on the wall, and chuck garbage into the open space.  This way, they can't end up walking near the crusher.

Dave Mongoose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:09:34 pm »

Make sure you're not disposing of valuable stone, though. The wiki is a good place to check a stone's usefulness: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:The_Non-Dwarf%27s_Guide_to_Rock

Things like Platinum Nuggets are obviously worth keeping, but Hematite and Tetrahedrite are both useful stones with quite ordinary names.

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 04:59:18 pm »

They don't hurt anyone (until you get a truly ridiculous amount of them, anyway), so it's ok to leave them where they are. It doesn't need to be in a stockpile for your dwarves to use it, they'll just run around grabbing it off the floor if it's the closest stone they can find.

If I don't care how long it takes for them to get shifted I just use a mason's workshop set to make blocks, on repeat (to train up masons), or a crafts workshop making stone crafts on repeat (to make you easy cash). They'll get through all that stone eventually. Another good way to use up excess stone (and all the blocks you're crafting) is to make stuff out of it - build something awesome out of constructed walls, floors, ramps, etc, (I'm a fan of stupidly elaborate entrances, with long causeways overlooked by sniper towers) or make ridiculous amounts of stone furniture for your dwarves' bedrooms, or whatever you like.

If there's an area that I absolutely must clear of stone quickly and don't want to wait (eg I need the space to make a stockpile), I use a garbage dump - make a 1 tile garbage dump in a corner of the room and mark all the stone for dumping. A minute or two of frantic running back and forth (but not running very far because they only have to go to the corner of the room) and it's all squashed into that one tile. Then you can unmark the stone all at once with a designation and wait for the masons and crafters to get round to it.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 05:01:57 pm by Xinael »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:25:01 pm »

I personally just like the simple stone crafter method.  Stone crafters work like greased lightning, and you can store many crafts to a bin.

MichaelZon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 08:36:14 am »

Thanks for everyone for your posts, this helped out a lot.  :)

snooptodd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »

If you have a magma pipe on the map chuck the stones in there also go into orders and change dwarfs gather other to dwarfs dump other. that will get rid of all the vermin remains.

the other thing I like to do is build a couple of catapults set to fire at will with a stone stockpile nearby. It takes a while but will get rid of the excess stone with minimal management.