Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: PACILAOMETHU, A Journey to Distant Lands  (Read 3336 times)

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: PACILAOMETHU, A Journey to Distant Lands
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 09:28:27 pm »

Sweet, a cave. B1 should become our barracks. I like the idea ofmaking b5 our dining area, but enlarge it and square it off. Try to incorporate those rubies(?) in the wall there too.

Also, we need a statue on top of the cave. Not just a normal one, though. We need a megaproject statue.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 09:30:14 pm by Urist Imiknorris »
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 11:26:43 pm »

Seconding megaproject statue.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 11:27:52 pm »

I like how everyone thinks instantly of an enormous statue. Perhaps the statue's subject matter should wait for a few posts?
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 12:51:43 am »

Looking over the maps, I second B1 being barracks and B5 the dining room.
It would be great if you could rig a waterfall through the statue, and through the dining room.
Maybe even add 2 small magma lakes in the palm of it's hands.
What do you think of turning B2 into the new trade depot's location?
B4 looks nice for a noble's quarters.

Just throwing out some thoughts.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 07:02:44 am »

WHOA FUCK. Are there TWO tiles of star sapphire floor on b5?!
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 07:35:28 am »

A little offtopic: How do you get picture of world like in initial post?
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 11:14:38 am »

Kurokikaze: Legends mode. Either on the main menu for that mode or under "Historical Maps" there should be an option at the bottom that says "export detailed map." This is "standard biome+site map."

Also, Classical Japanese in your username. I like this.
Even if you have dwarves decked out in cotton candy they will still have fun with clowns.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 12:42:18 am »

4 Slate
Bank of the Playpapers, The Confusing Dunes

Well this is bloody lovely. They expect us to ride this river for weeks, months, even, but they don't give us anything to do it on. We've basically set up camp around the wagon now while Urist and Mafool went out to get lumber to make a raft.

Nothing but saguaro, far as the eye can see. Urist seems okay with that, somehow. I guess she thinks we'll be able to use the ribs to float on, or as flooring on a raft, or something. All the plants around seem pretty, well, alive to me. I'm not sure how she plans to extract the ribs, but she's done a lot more carpentry than I have. We'll continue along the riverbank until we reach more fertile land. This is not going the way we had planned.

5 Slate

We haven't picked up on that "continuing on the riverbank" idea just yet; Urist wants to fell some cactuses. She's going to try to feel the ribs out and cut all the flesh away around them so we can bring the ribs with us to make a floor to our raft from.

Our provisions have started to draw flie. I heard someone talk about chipping away the animals' saltlick to rub on the meat to preserve it and let it dry in the sun. Ye gods, I'm pretty sure someone else just suggested using some of this barrel of mushroom wine that we've discovered had soured today. I don't think this idea can turn out well at all.

7 Slate

Well, Corinthius thought that curing the meat and hanging it out to dry sounded like a better alternative to throwing it away, so the wagon is now adorned with a lovely fringe of venison, warthog, and cave fish. I tried to tell him it's a silly idea--biltong, he calls it. He glared at me, yelled "Fine, don't eat any of it, then," and stormed off.

We can feel cool breezes from hills off in the distance and the horizon now has beautiful curves with what look like trees on it. Finally!

8 Slate

We are at the base of the hills. Urist is chopping trees and Mafool and Kogan are helping her drag them through the grassy mud back to the rocks and sand and the wagon. I've suggested that they cut willows first, and then move on to the ashes.

We will camp here for the night and all work on building the raft together. Perhaps we need two for the ass.

9 Slate

This raft is finally taking shape! We're all covered in sweat, but between Urist and company's continued supply of wood and the rest of us combining all our skills and supplies, we have overcome. I rather fancy a soak in the river now, so I'll update this later.

Mafool just approached me and shared some of his engineering expertise. He thinks the wagon will have to be taken apart to go on the raft. Noting that he said "raft" and not "rafts," I inquired further. He responded that he had done the math and determined that the willow and ash logs we'd gathered ought to hold us quite well indeed. We will be on our way soon!

10 Slate
The River Playpapers

The raft is complete, and boy, is it a big one. We can't really move it, even with all of us pushing. Sitting on our new creation, I asked everyone for options. Plenty of silence before Leesin suggested she bring the river to the raft instead of the other way round. That sounded like a direct enough answer to us, and like a flash, she was off with her pick, somehow swinging and shoveling at the same time, gradually channeling toward the raft. It was really an amazing sight.

We celebrated the completion of the raft with a round of sweet pod rum and were away. I was so happy to be making progress again, I ran up and gave Leesin a hug.

The sun's coming down now, and I can't help but feel prouder than a new parent. I said it in the last update and I'll say it again. We are away. We are away, by the gods, we are away. This is the most exciting thing that's happened to us on the trip, bar none, even if Leesin still gives me funny looks.

15 Slate

I've felt bad about making Corinthius snap at me back in the desert, so I agreed the other day to try some of this "biltong" stuff he's been ever so carefully working on since. The day had come, apparently, and it wasn't as bad as I had feared. I told him so, and I think we might be on good terms again. We've turned the wagon cover into a tent and pitched it on the raft. Corinthius has the first watch tonight, more to keep the ass from wandering overboard than anything. We don't expect much disturbance, though; haven't come across anything yet. The junction with The High Lung should be coming soon, though, and surely more concerns.

We shall have to make landfall sometime tomorrow to gather grass for the animal and maybe catch a rest for a while, build a fire or something.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 12:53:06 am »

This is a very well written story, good job.

Nice solution to the raft problem.

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 11:00:58 pm »

A few more filler updates here. Sorry about not starting the fortress story yet; I've had finals and a ball-shrinkingly scary C++ project to contend with (MelloHero hacks The Program in the main() function! The severed part sails off in an arc! The Program has been struck down.). I'll upload some sketches of plan ideas for approval and elaboration next post. In the meantime, MOAR BRAINSTORMING!

16 Slate
Playpapers Jct. The High Lung

There's some grass here, so Corinthius is taking the ass about to browse. Meanwhile, I think the rest of us are taking the day off. I saw Urist go out with her axe on her back, a canteen, and a truly cheerful look on her face, presumably in anticipation of a day on the hunt. No sooner than she had passed by Corinthius, he let out a very loud yell for me, and before I knew it, he was off for our spare axe to follow Urist and I was left with the ass! I can't really say that it got old fast because it was never interesting or new to begin with.

The ass seems to have lost interest in eating now, so I've tied her off near the raft and the river so I can add more to the log here. We haven't seen Urist or Corinthius for some time, but we have seen a cougar prowling around, inspecting us. As she is the toughest one still in the area, I've asked Leesin to watch the ass, and after an initial misunderstanding, she agreed, and is now sitting by the beast, skipping rocks across the river. She brought her pick with her; apparently she intends to give any predators a swift jab with the point. I swear, I'm learning about more uses for a pick than I ever thought possible, between what I've seen with my own eyes and her stories, though I very much doubt some of them, like the one about her mining squad encountering some terrific, writhing alligator with silver scales that her boss slew single-handedly with his pick and saved them all. I think the part about that that gets my goad was that she decided to call it Vucar. I wonder what she meant by that.

Corinthius and Urist are back. They came back covered in blood and dirt with the biggest deer I've ever seen between them! They'd field-dressed the animal, and we ate the better parts around the first fire we've had in a week. Corinthius is going to try and preserve the rest, though I'm not sure how he intends to preserve a whole animal like this. Personally, I'm thinking we'll just end up tying off again and making a fire to cook the rest over the next few days. A few days more of travel is worth a change from the biltong and mushrooms and everything.

My watch tonight. The stars remind me of the Arachnocampa colonies from the cave I used to play in with my friends as a child, the one that had been cleared out by some olden-time hero--Ronush Diveholy, something like that--can't wait to see what we find in our own caverns.
22 Slate
The High Lung

Mafool saw something in the distance that he was sure was a hydra. He and all the others are shaking in their boots now. So am I, to be honest. We truly are in the wild and woolly wilderness now.

Ezum confided in me that she wishes people would shut up about monsters, "especially made-up ones like hydras and dragons and that thing Leesin supposedly saw." I was nonplussed when she said that, partly because that was quite literally the third time she'd ever spoken to me, and I'm sure she hasn't said much more to anyone else, and partly because, well, who says things like that! If that's what she's like, I think it might be for the best that she never speaks up!

1 Fels 1050
The High Lung

Employing the log in order to judge our speed so I know when we've reached the proper tributary. Our current speed is 2.5 knots.

4 Fels 1050
The High Lung

Speed is approximately three knots. We've reached the tributary, now all we have to do is maneuver ourselves to the bank and allow the ass to tow us. The ass has a name now, as well. Corinthius told me we must now call it--I mean, her--Zoz Idekgamil. With a name like that, this jennet must be wiser than I've been giving it credit for all this time. Considering the number of times it's bitten me, though, I think I can hardly be faulted for that. We'll have to have a party discussion about feeding the thing out of hand.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2010, 11:25:09 pm by MelloHero »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 11:19:19 pm »

Great update!

I'll be awaiting next post.

Corinthius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2010, 01:28:09 pm »

I've never been in one of these before... this is fun to read! Thanks!

MelloHero

• Bay Watcher
  • 無基督、我無也。
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2010, 01:23:14 pm »

Just a warning that journal entries will probably come one at a time for a while, as I've been hired to arrange some music for a small college's marching band for this fall, and thus will probably be spending a great deal of time on that.
Pages: 1 [2]