Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Metorites during worldgen.  (Read 5852 times)

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metorites during worldgen.
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:53 pm »

I was reading about real world meteoric iron and it seems it didn't need smelted.  So early civilizations without certain dwarven like skills were able to use it to make objects (usually weapons).

Maybe this is a bad idea.

We don't want elves to be able to have access to iron weapons, do we?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:05 pm »

On the other hand, a particularly helpful meteorite would replace the elves with iron.

I think:

Uncommon: Ores of iron, trace iridium. Small. Could be found in soil or sedimentary layers
Semi-rare: Ores of iridium, trace unique metals, normal aliens. Smallish. Could be found in soil or sedimentary layers without aliens or with aliens at the surface.
Rare: Unique metals, divine messages and items, megabeasts, large numbers of normal aliens. Somewhat large.
Very Rare: Unique metals, artifact-quality or better weapon, small HFS horde. Somwhere between huge and massive.

Unique metals would be addy, slade, and/or a new metal.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2010, 12:40:56 pm »

The metal in asteroid from the asteroid would be to finite to make a significant difference, and considering that such an occurance would be probably more rare then witnessing a volcanoe errupt in a plain while playing fortress mode I doubt that having that metal would be a problem also considering how hard it is to work such metals I also don't think it would be possible to work iridium with wooden tools at all...you'd probably need platnuim, steel or adamantine to even mine into the space rock.

Also the thought that demons would come from the "heavens" is rather...foolish if anything gods would shoot meteors at you filled with weapons telling you to kill all the demons you just released from hell by greedily mining out the metal of the gods, its would be a boon and a bane, the boon would be a large cache of masterwork weapons made of metal compareable to adamantine weapons the bane would be that your probably going to have dwarves die from the impact of the thing...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 12:56:06 pm by Vulkanis »

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2010, 12:45:58 pm »

I would be quite happy if these meteorites would be able to cause impact craters.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2010, 12:54:08 pm »

Also the thought that demons would come from the "heavens" is rather...foolish if anything gods would shoot meteors at you filled with weapons telling you to kill all the demons you just released from hell by greedily mining out the metal of the gods, its would be a boon and a bane, the boon would be a large cache of masterwork weapons made of metal compareable to adamantium the bane would be that your probably going to have dwarves die from the impact of the thing...

First of all, who says that meteorites are sent by the gods.
Second, even if they are, who says they're your gods.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2010, 12:57:14 pm »

Also the thought that demons would come from the "heavens" is rather...foolish if anything gods would shoot meteors at you filled with weapons telling you to kill all the demons you just released from hell by greedily mining out the metal of the gods, its would be a boon and a bane, the boon would be a large cache of masterwork weapons made of metal compareable to adamantium the bane would be that your probably going to have dwarves die from the impact of the thing...

Please goto the "legends" section of any world you've generated and read "deitys"

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2010, 02:38:31 pm »

The chance of an iron meteorite, or even any meteorite hitting the world in a period of 1000-10,000 years seems pretty small though, if you're going for realism.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2010, 02:40:25 pm »

The chance of an iron meteorite, or even any meteorite hitting the world in a period of 1000-10,000 years seems pretty small though, if you're going for realism.

Well I think there would be a difference from a "chance" meteor and a event meteor one could happen absolutly randomly like a volcanoe erruption and another would probably be from a god telling you to slay something or other...

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2010, 02:42:12 pm »

500 per year, but not all are big enough to leave craters.

Most meteoroids disintegrate when entering Earth's atmosphere. However, an estimated 500 meteorites ranging in size from marbles to basketballs or larger do reach the surface each year; only 5 or 6 of these are typically recovered and made known to scientists. Few meteorites are large enough to create large impact craters. Instead, they typically arrive at the surface at their terminal velocity and, at most, create a small pit. Even so, falling meteorites have reportedly caused damage to property, livestock and people.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meteorite#Fall_phenomena

Oh, and about 6% contain iron or iron alloys.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 02:44:15 pm by Ilmoran »

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 14, 2010, 02:47:02 pm »

Earth is about 4,5 billion years old. The DF world is, usually, 1050 years old.
Thus we might as well make them fall every week and we'd still have some spare.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 14, 2010, 02:53:37 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at; I *think* what you're saying is that Earth is 4.5 billion years old and we only get 500 per year, whereas the DF world, being younger, would be subject to more frequent bombardment, although at 500 per year, Earth averages a little less than 10 per week, so unless you mean having them fall every week per site, one per week would be less for a DF world ;)

thepet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 14, 2010, 03:14:08 pm »

It happens much more often than you'd think: http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=470

"A study done in 1996 (looking at the number of meteorites found in deserts over time) calculated that for objects in the 10 gram to 1 kilogram size range, 2900-7300 kilograms per year hit Earth. However, unlike the number above this does not include the small dust particles. They also estimate between 36 and 166 meteorites larger than 10 grams fall to Earth per million square kilometers per year. Over the whole surface area of Earth, that translates to 18,000 to 84,000 meteorites bigger than 10 grams per year."

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 14, 2010, 04:10:32 pm »

Please goto the "legends" section of any world you've generated and read "deitys"

First, I don't see a deities section in Legends mode.  But looking through historical figures shows plenty of non-dwarven gods.
Second, you missed my points entirely.  You're saying people are foolish for suggesting that the gods would send demons down in meteors, but you're the one who's saying that gods are actually sending meteors down.  And my second point was that even if gods are sending the meteors down, it's not necessarily your gods who are sending them down.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 14, 2010, 04:12:03 pm »

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at; I *think* what you're saying is that Earth is 4.5 billion years old and we only get 500 per year, whereas the DF world, being younger, would be subject to more frequent bombardment, although at 500 per year, Earth averages a little less than 10 per week, so unless you mean having them fall every week per site, one per week would be less for a DF world ;)

What I'm talking about is that the DF world somehow managed to get you billions of years compressed into a nice time frame of, as I said, usually 1050 years. And meteorites can't really fall when time itself is frozen, so before you know it you have a planet in the middle of a sea of asteroids, and that's the state of things at year 1. However gravity has found herself to be lazy in this game, and hell, you can float on ice if you really want to - would such stuff happen when willpower of a mere hauler can bend it?

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 14, 2010, 04:16:40 pm »

What I'm talking about is that the DF world somehow managed to get you billions of years compressed into a nice time frame of, as I said, usually 1050 years. And meteorites can't really fall when time itself is frozen, so before you know it you have a planet in the middle of a sea of asteroids, and that's the state of things at year 1. However gravity has found herself to be lazy in this game, and hell, you can float on ice if you really want to - would such stuff happen when willpower of a mere hauler can bend it?

So I was close.  But then again, dwarven *history* spans 1000 years.  But if you look at world generation, the actual world, erosion, flora and fauna generation, etc, occur before year 1 starts.  So in that way, it's more like, what, 10,000 years of human history compared to 1000 of DF history?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5