Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Metorites during worldgen.  (Read 5863 times)

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metorites during worldgen.
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:12 pm »

what if meteors had forgotten (alien) beasts inside them?
I think caves are best left to kobolds.

I think the mention of caves was a suggestion that meteorites should be able to pre-breach the cavern levels.

Edit:  Re-reading it looks like a combination of that and a Biome selection (although it might work better as a landmark/feature/site than a biome).

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2010, 02:09:56 pm »

What about meteorites with non-megabeast procedurally generated creatures inside? I think strange alien creatures not necessarily more dangerous than your average cave... thing would be an interesting addition.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

ISGC

• Bay Watcher
  • Hatters Gonna Hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »

What about meteorites with non-megabeast procedurally generated creatures inside? I think strange alien creatures not necessarily more dangerous than your average cave... thing would be an interesting addition.
I can see the average mist monster being pretty alien.
what I was thinking is that the meteor (when it hits) would spray residue of a random ore around and then would sit in the ground for two or three years before "hatching".  that's when you realize that all your weapons are useless except those made out of the ore that came with the meteor.  maybe even a new ore.
Fifteen men on a dead man's chest, Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2010, 02:47:40 pm »

Spoiler: Like this guy? (click to show/hide)
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2010, 04:56:54 pm »

I absolutely love the idea of meteorites spawning alien creatures.

Infact, I'm adding it to the eternal suggestion voting list. Done.

Also, I was thinking that the critters in the meteors might represent a different variety of HFS, one that the gods locked away in space, rather than deep underground. That would kind of make sense, in a way... Infact, some of the meteors--the ones that contained the critters--might be formed out of a "new type" of HFS metal.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:09:06 pm by SirHoneyBadger »
For they would be your masters.

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 07:24:36 pm »

I absolutely love the idea of meteorites spawning alien creatures.

Infact, I'm adding it to the eternal suggestion voting list. Done.

Also, I was thinking that the critters in the meteors might represent a different variety of HFS, one that the gods locked away in space, rather than deep underground. That would kind of make sense, in a way... Infact, some of the meteors--the ones that contained the critters--might be formed out of a "new type" of HFS metal.

Well there is that metal in the KT barrier err.....I believe its called....Palladium? No thats something else well I'll try and find it.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 07:32:45 pm »

Iridium, I think is what you're referring to.

If our dwarfs could work it or alloy it (it has an extremely high melting-point, at over 2700 Kelvin, and is very difficult to manipulate, due to it's hardness and near-immunity to acid), iridium would be great to have. It's the secondmost dense metal, next to osmium, and the most corrosion-resistant, even at 2000 degrees K. It's also very hard, at 6.5 on the Moh's scale.

It's somewhat brittle, though, so you'd probably want to make an alloy of it (with osmium, platinum, and other trace elements, probably, to produce osmiridium) if possible, but if you solved that problem, you'd have a metal that was even better than platinum, for hammers and maces and the like.

Osmiridium is even naturally-occurring, although extremely rare. It's used mainly for fountain pens and surgical equipment. 

« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 07:56:55 pm by SirHoneyBadger »

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 11:07:06 pm »

Iridium, I think is what you're referring to.

If our dwarfs could work it or alloy it (it has an extremely high melting-point, at over 2700 Kelvin, and is very difficult to manipulate, due to it's hardness and near-immunity to acid), iridium would be great to have. It's the secondmost dense metal, next to osmium, and the most corrosion-resistant, even at 2000 degrees K. It's also very hard, at 6.5 on the Moh's scale.

It's somewhat brittle, though, so you'd probably want to make an alloy of it (with osmium, platinum, and other trace elements, probably, to produce osmiridium) if possible, but if you solved that problem, you'd have a metal that was even better than platinum, for hammers and maces and the like.

Osmiridium is even naturally-occurring, although extremely rare. It's used mainly for fountain pens and surgical equipment.

Iridium would probably act like a modifier, like possibly after you make "Steel Shield" you order Urist McArmourer to coat the shield with iridium and it would become immune to the affects of corrosion and heat, or possibly do that to doors and utilitys as well. But since all rare metals seem to be high of value that of course would be another affect of iridium coating. I'm fairly sure that Proficent Metalworker dwarves could work with iridium considering they make perfect gold, silver and steel bars all day long.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:10:56 pm by Vulkanis »

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:25 pm »

Fountain pens and surgical equipment. Honestly?
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 03:30:00 am »

Fountain pens and surgical equipment. Honestly?
I'm betting for the nib, in the former, and for hard, sharp and unlikely-to-react points for use in surgery.  BICBW.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 04:01:08 am »

You wouldn't believe how much some people are willing to pay for a good fountain pen. Surgical equipment is hideously expensive, as well.

Acanthus117

• Bay Watcher
  • Angry Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 04:04:42 am »

So, in essence, the meteoric iron iron should be:
A) Rare
B) Strong
C) AWESOME
Is apparently a Lizardman. ಠ_ಠ
YOU DOUBLE PENIS
"The pessimist is either always right or pleasantly surprised; he cherishes that which is good because he knows it cannot last."

Vulkanis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 12:11:04 pm »

So, in essence, the meteoric iron iron should be:
A) Rare
B) Strong
C) AWESOME

Well assuming this does get added I think such an event would be more rare then witnessing a volcanoe errupting. Also I'd assume that the meteoric metal wouldn't be for use in weapons but rather for things like crafting, arts and utilitys. Considering having a shield that is acid, and lava proof would be cool but currently theres really no (as far as I know) acidic form of damage, and considering the stuff itself is hard to work with I'd assume that it'd be pretty restrictive as only metal worker with X level of skill can even use the stuff.

Also if anything the asteroids shouldn't have enemys in them but statues of gods and dietys considering the ancients thoght that meteors were "punishment" from the gods why not have a iridium masterwork statue of Armok or some diety inside it like "From Armok with love", and since iridium is nearly invulnerable to the elements (it can't erode, melt, or be crushed easily) that statue would still be there for maybe 4 no 5 centurys later.

Scratch statues maybe any sort of craft with the signature or depiction of a diety doing something "Dwarvenly" such as drinking beer or slaying hydras with plump helmets and etc
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:29:44 pm by Vulkanis »

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 04:49:10 pm »

What if the meteorite is not only workable into weapons, but is filled with weapons? I mean, the Gods apparently put the Clowns in Clowntown and sealed them in with Adamantine and Slade right? Well, Maybe they're aware that they're starting to get free due to us digging, and while they're pissed at us, know they need to help us kill the Clowns. So the meteor can have a hollow space full of a few weapons like "slade warhammers" or "adamantium axes" or "HolisticDetectivite Backpacks" and then the walls are engraved with instructions to us from the gods. "a masterwork engraving of a dwarf and Clowns. The clown is making a plaintive gesture. The dwarf is striking down the Clown. This image relates to what you need to do with these weapons, morals. When I was seeding the dwarf race I screwed up making you all incompetent bi-polar alcoholics, but hopefully while you're dumb enough to undo my measures of clown-imprisonment for the sake of shiny metal, you can at least kill them now

-Love, Armok"
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 05:40:25 pm »

actually, armok created dwarves greedy so they would release the demons the other gods imprisioned
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5