Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Pirates were released to the freedom and... drown. So dwarfly, isn't it?  (Read 20998 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

Modern Pirates, Somali-spawned or otherwise, get no sympathy from me. They regularly, almost exclusively, commit two of the crimes I consider most serious: Theft and Murder. They act as if they can take what they wish and get away with it. For the time being they can, unless it's the Russians.

It's true, Somalia is a collapsed state, and piracy is the only way to make enough money for many needed things. But everyone has a choice. Some members of Somalia choose piracy. Some choose honest work, and suffer for it. I'd wager almost none choose to fight for a just government, and with good reason. Such a path leads to death. And that is because the rest of the world has chosen to let Somalia burn.

Nothing will change untill someone makes change.

EDIT: Oh, and the Conservatives killed those pirates.

[Crackpot conspiracy counter: 25]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 03:00:23 am by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile

Those greedy asshole Russian sailors. Why can't they just let their livelihood get stolen out from under their feet, and themselves along with it? Everyone knows that while these Somalian pirates are dispirited folks just looking for a way to make money, all Russians sailors make hundreds of thousands of dollars a month.

Seriously though, you don't think the sailors are getting victimized here?

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

Seriously though, you think the sailors own the ship or the ship's cargo?

The sailors were the victims right up untill the unarmed prisoners who harmed noone were executed in cold blood. Now there's two sets of victims.

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The sailors were the victims right up untill the unarmed prisoners who harmed noone were executed in cold blood. Now there's two sets of victims.
In my mind, intent is the same as action. They were looking to steal stuff, and if past raids are any indication they don't mind killing or kidnapping to do that. Why should the Russians release them to victimize another ship, and possibly kidnap or kill one of their comrades?

They might not own the ship or the cargo, but they probably feel at least a little attached to their lives.

Also, conspiracy= cons+piracy. COINCIDENCE?
[Crackpot conspiracy counter: 26]
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 06:12:36 pm by Rotten »
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Creaca

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm Back.
    • View Profile

Firstly, I find it pretty unlikely this group of pirates had never harmed anyone in their previous raids. Hell, this might not have been the first time they where caught. As stated earlier, most captured pirates are just released so they can go on stealing, pillaging and killing.

Secondly, reports seem to indicate that the all the Russians did was shove them back on thier original boat, sans weapons and navigation equipment and left them out at sea. That's a hell of lot different that what you're implying when you throw around words like 'Executed'.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

Firstly, I find it pretty unlikely this group of pirates had never harmed anyone in their previous raids. Hell, this might not have been the first time they where caught. As stated earlier, most captured pirates are just released so they can go on stealing, pillaging and killing.

Secondly, reports seem to indicate that the all the Russians did was shove them back on thier original boat, sans weapons and navigation equipment and left them out at sea. That's a hell of lot different that what you're implying when you throw around words like 'Executed'.
You're right execution is a lot more humane, the appropriate word is torture I think.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile

Their both the same type of people to me. They would have both done what the other had if they switched situations.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

If the Somalian pirates are too stupid to figure out which way land is, they deserve to die on their own boat.

They probably didn't even die. They're probably in a Somali bar waiting for the next haul.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

You do realise they took away their navigational equipment right? Navigating on the sea isn't as simple as looking for the big sign saying "Land this way"
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Sir Pseudonymous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, unless they were completely retarded they'd have a rough idea of the cardinal directions, and would presumably know which way land was, so unless they're engine was confiscated too, or they lacked the fuel to get back, they either made it to shore or ran into mechanical problems (possibly sabotage) that led to the boat sinking. You might need navigational equipment to hit a specific point on the shore, but it's not like somalia is a small island...
I'm all for eating the heart of your enemies to gain their courage though.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I guess there's always the danger of washing up on Ethiopia. There actually is a magic sign which says "Land this way". From where they are, the sun sets over Africa. Also, if they were REAL pirates, they could just follow the stars. Yarrr.
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

"Real" pirates would probably have had compasses.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, these guys had compasses, but they were taken away.

Not that it would have helped them find out where land was.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile

As far as I'm concerned, this is pretty much justice. If anything, setting them adrift is more merciful. Trial by a Russian court, especially when the defendants are so obviously guilty of piracy, has a predictable ending.

ALSO, Bush hired those pirates to do piratey things.

[Crackpot conspiracy counter: 26]

Obama, who is a Muslim terrorist, hired Bush to hire the pirates. WITH TAXPAYER MONEY.

[Crackpot conspiracy counter: 27 28]

And the Borg assimilated Congress.

[Crackpot conspiracy counter: 29]

Oh snaps.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, these guys had compasses, but they were taken away.

Not that it would have helped them find out where land was.

I would have kept them from sailing in a circle.

Also, using your COMPASS and THE STARS you manage to navigate to A DRAMA AND ROMANCE RIDDEN ISLAND OF MUCH ADVENTURES.

What do you do?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8