Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Pirates were released to the freedom and... drown. So dwarfly, isn't it?  (Read 21013 times)

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile

They're not feeding their families, most of them just got out of their youth and have no children to feed.

EDIT: And they're led by Pirate Warlords who own multiple Cadillacs and large mansions.

You forgot your crackpot conspiracy text. :P

I'm not saying they're good guys, I'm just saying that treating them like sub-humans unworthey of common human decency, or saying their lives have no worth is short-sighted and callous.

Though they rather are like Robin Hood though. Robbing from the rich to give to the poor. Just that instead of the king and aristocracy they're stealing from coorperations.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

They're not feeding their families, most of them just got out of their youth and have no children to feed.

EDIT: And they're led by Pirate Warlords who own multiple Cadillacs and large mansions.

You forgot your crackpot conspiracy text. :P

I'm not saying they're good guys, I'm just saying that treating them like sub-humans unworthey of common human decency, or saying their lives have no worth is short-sighted and callous.

Though they rather are like Robin Hood though. Robbing from the rich to give to the poor. Just that instead of the king and aristocracy they're stealing from coorperations.

Somali pirates captured the Ariana on May 2 with its 24 Ukrainian crew in the Indian Ocean on route from Brazil to the Middle East. In November, with the release of Spanish ship Alakrana, that was in contact during captivity with the Ariana to give fuel, was known that within this vessel are kidnapped two women and a girl of 12 years old. One of the abducted women, Larisa Salinska, 39 years old ship's cook, was raped by pirates. Then she had a miscarriage (it is unknown if she became pregnant as a result of the rape or not) with a large hemorrhage, heavy infection, and serious health problems. The Alakrana’s skipper tried to convey to the Ariana medicines to help Salinska, but Adan Jama, one of the pirates who had hijacked the Spanish ship, threw overboard those medicines. Also, according to the testimony from the driver's Alakrana, on board were two women, one of whom had given birth during the hijacking of the ship, having the baby about four months; also said the girl who was twelve years old was. raped by a pirate. The ship was released on 10 December 2009 after a ransom of almost $3,000,000 was paid.

Yeah, just like Robin Hood.  ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, just like Robin Hood.  ::)

Except that we are painting every pirate with the same generalization... as if they were one entity...

"This group of pirates rape the women, so all the other pirates must do too!"
"This group of pirates are supplied and respected by the village they come from, so all the other pirates must be too!"
"This group of pirates are employed and supplied by a warlord, so all the other pirates must be too!"
"This group of pirates treat hostages inhumanely, so all the other pirates must do too!"

Also, there is a reason why live hostages are preferable to dead people.  Negotiators and rescuers have something else to worry about and can't just gung-ho it.  Cause who cares if any of the 'bad guys' die during a rescue attempt... now if a hostage died during a rescue attempt...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile

Whatever. "Realasing" pirate in a rubber boat in hight sea is an inhumain act and a crime.
Sates are bound to respect international law, and any transgression should be punished.
But it doesn't seems to be anyone's concern.

Also this kind of behavior is just begging for more problems.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile

The problem is that they were clever enough to use the same boat to capture the ship, so technically they were released with their own equipment, just without means to continue the piracy right away. If they've used a normal vessel to capture the ship, they wouldn't have such problem. Render unto Caesar...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Without navigation equipment. 

Did the Russians even let them go in sight of land?  They could have gone the wrong way...
Did they have food and water?
Storm forecast?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile

Dropping someone off in the middle of the sea with no navigation equipment is generally a death sentence, can't speak for the particulars of this case but it sounds like he did just drop them off in the middle of nowhere in which case it would be more humane of him to just shoot them.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Firehound

• Bay Watcher
  • !!human!!
    • View Profile

Assuming that the Russians didn't kill them on the spot and actually let them get away on their raft without using it for target practice, which I personally feel is more likely, The Somali's were doing something where international laws that haven't been updated suggested something along the lines of a slow torturous death. Not sure about how current piracy laws work, but I'd take the chance to survive, which is boosted by the fact, I probably know the rough direction of land.

The Somalis did something bad, and once again, the western world wants to punish the guy who returns the favor instead of the perpetrator. It is... sad that they probably drowned. If they were not doing something highly illegal in the first place, it would not of happened. That is the full truth of the matter.

Something bad happened to them while they were doing very bad stuff. I personally do not feel any regret they lost their lives. If they had merely been let go, they would of done it again. If they had made it to land, they would have done it again because the Russians did not kill them. Honestly, it is a problem only failed boardings and dead pirates is going to solve sans severe economic sanctions against Somali coupled with a change in trade routes, but paying ransoms only spurs it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

I would disagree slightly with the last part. Since the naval presence has been stepped up in the last 18-24 months, the actual successful capture rate has dropped to about 50%, and the pirates have steadily taken casualties. And yet, they're still hard at it.

So no, a policy that relies totally on deterrence isn't going to work. Piracy in the area won't go away unless Somalia can be restored to some semblance of a functioning state, or we completely depopulate it, which would take some time. But nobody in the West has much appetite for nation building these days, especially in a case like Somalia, where you're starting with pretty much *nothing* to work with.

Maybe we could talk China into taking on the job. They've got plenty of new friends in the region and a commercial interest in keeping the area safe for shipping...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:22:17 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile

The Russians had no obligation to uphold the lives of the pirates. They even gave up a perfectly good raft!

Hell, they were averting political disaster by not shooting them.

The Pirate Warlords being extremely wealthy is not a conspiracy theory. It is factual knowledge.

Here is some Robin Hood for you:

May 7, 2010:  Somali pirates seized a Yemeni fishing boat, docked at an island off the coast, and took it to Somali, apparently for use as a sea going mother ship. The Yemeni crew of seven was taken as well.

http://www.strategypage.com/qnd/somalia/articles/20100512.aspx

Yep, robbing Fishing Boats filled with poor fishermen who you then steal away is the kind of thing Robin Hood would do.

The Somalian pirates aren't the good guys. If you start believing they're Robin Hood, you will be mistaken. Even the pirates themselves aren't getting the bulk of the kickback from this: The Somalian Warlords are.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2008/1120/p25s22-woaf.html
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile

ARR, T'DAVY JONE'S LOCKER WITH THEM!
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile

The "Somali pirates" were actually US Navy SEALS
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:8]
who were going out to blast more Gulf of Mexico oil wells open
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:9]
but they got blown off course by an intelligent and malevolent Hurricane Katrina
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:10]
which is of course caused by an alien from Jupiter.
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:11]
The Navy SEAL raft drifted into the Bermuda Triangle
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:12]
where it floated above the wreckage of the ship used in the Philadelphia Experiment
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:13]
and was transported off the Somali coast. The Russians' ship was laden with American national treasures
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:14]
and a drugged Nicholas Cage
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:15]
who was suffering from radiation sickness from Polonium
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:16]
which the Russians used to poison him
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:17]
because he is a Swiss spy.
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:18]
The American soldiers in the raft were boiled down and made into caramel
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:19]
to be used in lead-coated Chinese candies
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:20]
which are a plan by Chinese authorities to keep population growth down.
[Crackpot conspiracy counter:21]
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile

but they got blown off course by an intelligent and malevolent Hurricane Katrina
where it floated above the wreckage of the ship used in the Philadelphia Experiment
and was transported off the Somali coast. The Russians' ship was laden with American national treasures

I was going to do something like that!
*Gasp* It was you all along LeoLeonardoIII!

[Crackpot conspiracy counter:22]

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile

I think you overkilled it... I guess someone had to
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8