Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: no plump helmets available on embark?!  (Read 4886 times)

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
no plump helmets available on embark?!
« on: May 11, 2010, 12:29:13 am »

Eh? Strangely enough I have several other dwarven seeds available to me like rock nuts.  A neighboring fort which I abandoned right next to me didn't have this problem.  I've had something similar happen in other maps, such as all seeds being unavailable despite there being many dwraven civilizations on the map.  What causes this?  Just luck or a bug?

Matuin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: no plump helmets available on embark?!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 02:08:11 am »

Try emarking as a different civ (the nearby fort may have been a different dwarf civilization)

It's very rare, but your parent civ may not have helmets.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 02:40:07 am »

You may already have them in your list. They won't appear in the [n]ew item menu if you have them on your list.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:32:47 am »

I have noticed it too that at very rare occasions the certain dwarven civilization does not have plump helmets (nor the spawns). It happened only twice, but when I tried to embark with one of my premade embark profiles I get warning of no plump helmets & spawns. Checking the "N"ew list also shows that the civilization does not have any.

Rare, but still happens.
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 03:11:47 pm »

If you want raw-edible food, stick to aboveground farming. You can always create a "greenhouse" by walling and roofing an outdoor area (use glass for flavour) to protect it, and keep it farmable.

Prickle Berries are your answer.

Otherwise, bring some Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat. Learn to love the Quern/millstone and Kitchen. Remember to be able to make bags.

You'll have higher quality food, and happier dwarves all round, for just two-and-a-half extra workshops. (given that you may have a leatherworker producing bags, which are useful anyways)
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 04:13:05 pm »

STRAWBERRIES!

Also, that is a lot of work for 7 dwarves... converting Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat. And you'll need bags, and leatherworking isn't going to be viable to start with, as you won't have a steady supply of livestock/cats to slaughter in the beginning. Beginning wise, I'd personally scramble for above ground edible crops, and live with that until the fort grows enough to support milling and bag making.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 04:25:26 pm »

eh, well I know the advantages of using a quern, I just hate having to make weird hybrids at embark, like a grower/brewer/cook/miller/whatever , I just want a grower brewer to use helmets and wait for migrants.

But yeah, the reason I mentioned it is...I  only have the seeds problem with .31.  This >>>never<<< happened in 40d.  with 40d it was only stone access missing.  I think it has something to do with caverns, as I turned caverns off and lost every single seed on one embark.  Maybe it's just coincidence, but perhaps seed access is somehow based on caverns now?

UnkemptArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 08:12:58 am »

I've been messing araound with a no-cavern worldgen, and so far every time I've been completely bereft of all cavern-based materials. In addition to none of the underground plants or seeds, I'm also completely missing access to silk and pigtail thread, cloth, and everything that comes from them.

It was a lot of fun! I got to experimenting with collapsing a large section of the surface, then roofing it over for indoors, aboveground farming :D

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 08:24:26 am »

Yeah, removing all caverns seems to remove all underground plants (there's no underground, so the plants don't grow.  Since they don't grow, the civ doesn't have access to them.  I think I've heard of this also happening if you set caverns to have no water, ever).

Enjoy your sunberries!

(Also, I imagine tower-caps and fungiwood are missing too).

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:44 am »

Also, that is a lot of work for 7 dwarves... converting Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat.
Sweet pods can be brewed directly, no more work than plump helmets.  It's a chore to prevent it all being ground into sugar when you're also milling wheat though.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:40:42 am »

STRAWBERRIES!

Also, that is a lot of work for 7 dwarves... converting Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat. And you'll need bags, and leatherworking isn't going to be viable to start with, as you won't have a steady supply of livestock/cats to slaughter in the beginning. Beginning wise, I'd personally scramble for above ground edible crops, and live with that until the fort grows enough to support milling and bag making.
a. using dwarven syrup instead of dwarven sugar will help cut down on bag use.
b. leather is cheap on embark.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Glory of Arioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 11:15:06 am »

Only problem is that in the new version, you can't cook dwarven syrup. The chefdwarf opens the barrel to use the syrup and the syrup spills all over the floor of the kitchen and clutters the workshop (and can't be reclaimed except by deconstructing the kitchen.)

In a related note, however, I'm happy to see the dwarven sugar creation process moved from the Farmer's Workshop to the Quern/Millstone.

Ilmoran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:23:26 am »

Only problem is that in the new version, you can't cook dwarven syrup. The chefdwarf opens the barrel to use the syrup and the syrup spills all over the floor of the kitchen and clutters the workshop (and can't be reclaimed except by deconstructing the kitchen.)

In a related note, however, I'm happy to see the dwarven sugar creation process moved from the Farmer's Workshop to the Quern/Millstone.

You can use dwarven syrup for cooking, just not for the base (first) ingredient.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:29 am »

It was this way in 40d as well, what version had sugar production at the farmers workshop?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 01:54:50 pm »

I've been messing araound with a no-cavern worldgen, and so far every time I've been completely bereft of all cavern-based materials. In addition to none of the underground plants or seeds, I'm also completely missing access to silk and pigtail thread, cloth, and everything that comes from them.

It was a lot of fun! I got to experimenting with collapsing a large section of the surface, then roofing it over for indoors, aboveground farming :D

You know you can just channel from the surface and it has the same effect right?  Minus the collapse?
Pages: [1] 2