Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26

Author Topic: Countries At War: World Edition; Turn 7  (Read 29384 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Countries At War: World Edition; Turn 7
« on: May 10, 2010, 11:15:27 pm »

I have decided that Countries at War shall be avenged! For too long has this game suffered under the weight of inactivity! For too long has this game been overcomplicated and broken! I shall send forth this game into the Forum, so that it may attract players who will also stick with it.

Before this game can begin however, I must create the data! I'll be posting several maps.
Spoiler: Map of all countries (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Income Map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Size Group map (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Buildings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Playing Field (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Current Money (click to show/hide)

DISCLAIMER: If you don't know what country it is you're looking at, Google it. By partaking in this game, you accept that you will have to be able to view the map (important if you're on dial-up!), manage yourself properly, and follow the rules of combat.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:57:26 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: Countries At War: World Edition; Unstoppable!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 11:16:33 pm »

POST CLAIMED FOR UNITS! UNITS ALL AROUND!

Combat units cost $2,000 each. Transports cost $1000 each.

NOTE ON MOVEMENT - For movement, assume every soldier is on every border of your country at once. It only costs movement to enter a country, not to leave it. Countries cannot be traveled partway through, either. For example, a tank in the USA could move north to Canada for its whole turn. Alternatively, it could move south to Mexico, followed by a movement to Guatemala, which totals 3 movement.

Spoiler: Unit Chart Key (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Combat System (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Air Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Land Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Naval Units (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Transports (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wimdit- Indonesia (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tarran - Germany (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Cheddarius - U.S.A. (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Maxicaxi - Sweden (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jesse- South Africa (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:57:24 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 11:26:59 pm »

I'm just going to watch, since It's hard to do turns anyway. I might join if I want to.

Make units simple, lest it end up like mine. And don't make them too simple, otherwise it becomes too boring.

Units need counters and base units, otherwise you will see players spamming only a few unit types. Special bonuses/abilities are also a good idea.

Infrastructure is optional, but if you are adding them then add plenty of them.

And WMD's are a must too, but make them really expensive so players use them with caution.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:36:15 pm »

An example unit would look something like this.

Spoiler: 3-way balance (click to show/hide)

or something similar. The most I'd expand it to is to the equivalent of Rock-Paper-Scissors-Lizard-Spock, wherein each unit has 2 strengths and two weaknesses. One strength/weakness for each defending and attacking. In fact, that sounds pretty awesome.

Spoiler: 5-way balance (click to show/hide)

Infrastructure will be mainly based around improving income and mobility, because messing with the balance will end in Trench Spams, like in Jesse's game.

WMD's I'm kind of iffy on. I'd like this game to not end up as the Cold War, but nothing's set in stone yet.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:39:51 pm »

Infrastructure that increases income will make you cry, it's just not a good idea, trust me.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Canalan

• Bay Watcher
  • A Chainsaw! Find some meat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 12:13:53 am »

Make sure you keep unit levels simple. "Heavy" and "Light" is probably enough.
It would also be good to collect groups of smaller/lesser known countries and either add them to pre-existing countries or create a new one.

Also, can I pre-register as either the U.S.A. or Russia?

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 05:49:42 am »

Very nice. I assume Greenland is not considered part of Denmark?

And like always, this game is going to need a lot of taking AI countries before players start interacting. I suggest you implement some way to blitzkrieg aaaaall over the map in the early stages. Like giving everyone a ton of starting troops and saying it was a secret military buildup or something. Or some sort of futuristic weapon or weapons that don't kill everyone but render all other conventional weapons obsolete and were independently developed simultaneously by all players.

Also, it's always annoyed me how neutral countries just sit there and wait to be conquered, but I think we can suspend our disbelief on that one for the sake of simplicity. Still, something to think about.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 07:59:22 am »

Updated first map with Alaska being its own country as well as Liechtenstein being a different color from Germany. Greenland is not part of Denmark.

I think that I'm just going to leave out infrastructure (for now, at least) and give each country a certain amount of troops based on their size group. (and a little bit on how powerful they are in real life.) Players will either start with 3 turns' worth of income from their country or just with normal income and double the normal amount of troops for their country.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

maxicaxi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why? I have no idea.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 11:00:44 am »

the Vatican for me   :P
I have absolutely no idea what's going on in this fort any more. Migrants arrive, they die for some reason, the fort is flooded for another reason, then dwarves go mad, more dwarves die and I'm just laughing in my distress.
you cannot defeat the potato.

Jesse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 02:05:16 pm »

Keep all units organized in some type of excel file or something else, or else you'll have units disappearing (Like me).

Anyways, I take Brazil (Pink).
~Jesse

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »

IN

EDIT: I'd like USA or Russia, whatever Canalan doesn't get.

I don't like multiple defenses and attacks. Too complicated. How about "double damage if strong against"? That's simpler.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 08:30:53 pm by Cheddarius »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »

IN
...You might want to specify the country and color. :P

the Vatican for me   :P
And you need to specify the color too.

Just helping Barbarossa.

IN AS GERMANY! Dark blue.

Cheddarius

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:32:42 pm »

I was too excited, I wanted to get in as fast as possible.

I'd like USA or Russia, whatever Canalan doesn't get. Orange please.

I don't like multiple defenses and attacks. Too complicated. How about "double damage if strong against"? That's simpler.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 10:04:01 pm »

In as El Salvador as teal.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:45 pm »

Sheesh guys, I said I wasn't starting until I was ready. Very soon I'll have the unit chart and the size group maps up.

I'd like to keep it down to six players for my first run through.

@maxicaxi- Could you please pick a different one? I tried to keep as many microstates as I could, but having one inside of a city... That's just a bit of a stretch.

EDIT: Finished sea zone map. If a country borders a sea zone, it can place ships in it.

EDIT EDIT: Finished Size Group map. This will determine how much effort it takes to move through a country. more will be described in the OP. This is completely separate from the income map, which is coming soon.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:40:46 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26