Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: (MMP.21) Masakhan's Mod Project (working title)  (Read 1214 times)

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
(MMP.21) Masakhan's Mod Project (working title)
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:19 pm »

(MMP) Masakhan's Mod Project (working title)

download:http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=2323

Features: 3 additional races, various new materials, Alchemy,Wicker, various altars, new plants, 2 training workshops, and Atom Smashing.

Races-Along with regular dwarves,elves,humans,kobolds, etc there are:

Orcs- Larger and tougher versions of your average Goblin.

Wargs- Large wolf-life creatures that live in cities. They will come to trade in the winter. They will bring goods similar to that of humans, but will bring interesting creatures like the elves.

Gorethizin- Large and winged humanoids three times the size of a man. They can fly and are difficult to kill. They use only use steel and soulsteel to make their weapons and armor.

New Materials:

Krevlon- A synthetic fiber produced through Alchemy. It can only be used to produce armor that is on par with steel.

Malastiq- A synthetic plastic produced through Alchemy. It can be used to make cheap furniture.

Nylar- A synthetic silk made through Alchemy.

Soulsteel- Steel that has been imbued with Soulstones to enhance it's power.

SacredSteel- Steel that has been engraved with sacred runes to enhance it's power.

Soulinite- Stone created by harnessing the latent life force from all living things.

Soulstones- Dark gems created by harnessing the latent life force from all living things.

Wicker- Made from various vines to create wooden furniture.

New Plants:

Strangler Vines- Underground vines that grow quickly, and can be used to produce wicker.

Rattan Vines- A surface grown vines that can be used to produce wicker.

Krev Pod- An underground plant used in Alchemy.

Ny Stalk- An underground plant used in Alchemy.

Lac Root-An underground plant used in Alchemy.

Mala Tuber- An underground plant used in Alchemy.

New Creature:

Cave Cow- A large bovine creature that lives underground. Dwarves love them for their shiny shells.

New Buildings:(see their descriptions within the instructions.)

Alchemy Lab

Elf Powered Medical School

Drafting Workshop

Extrusion Center

Dark Altar

Sacred Altar

Armok's Altar

Atom Smasher

Wicker Crafting Workshop

Instructions:
Alchemy:You will need to costruct the Alchemy Lab first (this requires someone with the masonry
skill activated.)

You can preform 3 reactions currently:

1)make raw nylar: This requires 1 lac root, and 1 ny stalk. It will produce 1 unit of raw
nylar. The raw nylar can be made into silk at the extrusion center.

2)make raw krevlon: This requires 1 lac root, and 1 krev pod.It will produce 1 unit of raw
krevlon. The raw krevlon can be made into a bar at the extrusion center. You can forge
armor with the bar(same as steel.)

3)make raw malastiq: This requires 1 lac root, and 1 mala tuber.It will produce 1 unit
of raw krevlon. The malastiq can be made into a bar at the extrusion center. You
can make furniture with the bar(same as copper.)

Extrusion Center: You will need this to process the raw products of alchemy. It requires
the masonry labor to be activated in order to build it. Someone must have the strand
extractor labor enabled in order to operate it.

Altars: You can build 3 different altars with various effects.

Dark Altar: It requires the masonry labor to construct it.You can process raw bodyparts
into a couple of items:

1)You can turn body parts into a rock called "soulinite." It is worth the same as obsidian.
(requires bone carving)
2)You can turn body parts into soulstones. Soulstones are used to imbue steel.
(requires bone carving)
3) You can imbue soulsteel. It requires a bar of steel and a soulstone (slightly better
than steel)
(requires metal crafting)

Sacred Altar: It requires the masonry labor to construct it.You can engrave steel here
with sacred runes.
1)You can engrave steel with silver to make sacredsteel.It is better than steel, and the
same as soulsteel.
(requires metal crafting)

Armok's Altar: It requires the masonry labor to construct it. You can make offerings to
Armok here and receive his praise.

1)make offerings to Armok: sacrifice the closest body part to Armok. there is a 1 in 100
chance that you will receive something good. You can use this "something good" at the altar
for a reward.

Wicker Crafting: You can make wicker from 2 new plants. It will produce wicker which can
be used at the Carpenter's Workshop like any log.

Wicker Crafting Workshop:You must have the weaving labor enabled in order to construct this.
You can make raw wicker here.
1) Make wicker from rattan: This will produce 1 unit of raw wicker. It requires a rattan
plant (which is grown on the surface.)
(requires weaving)
2) Make wicker from strangler vines:This will produce 1 unit of raw wicker. It requires a
strangler vine plant (which is grown below ground.)
(requires weaving)

Atom Smashing: You can remove anything from existence.

Atom Smasher: You must have the mechanics labor activated in order to construct this. You
pick a few items to be removed directly.
1)removes ANYTHING: this will remove the CLOSEST ITEM to the workshop from existance.
(requires mechanics)
2)remove vermin: this will remove the closest dead vermin from existance.
(requires mechanics)
3remove stone: this will remove the CLOSEST stone from existance.It will remove ANY STONE
including metal ore!
(requires mechanics)

Elf Powered Medical Center: You need the masonry labor enabled to construct this. You can
train your medical dwarves here.....

Drafting Workshop: You need the masonry labor enabled to construct this. You can train
dwarves in the architecture skill here.

CURRENT TO DO LIST:
1)Implement other custom races (testing phase)
2)Implement custom weaponry and armor (waiting on military bugfixes)
3)Implement more custom creatures (testing phase)
4)More custom reactions and workshops!
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:33:24 pm by masakhan »

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (MMP) Masakhan's Mod Project (working title)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:26:54 pm »

-reserved-

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 01:27:17 pm »

-reserved-

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:09:52 pm »

Atom Smashing: You can remove anything from existence.
Hah, that's the spirit :). I see what you did here.

I have nothing special to say other than this looks like a nice mod but I don't see a pattern. I am just curious, did you invent the contents of the mod "on the fly" or is it a part of some setting in your head?

Let me explain, let's take my frigging mod which adds TONS of stuff. Right now I accept suggestions from people and add funny and cool things which work but it started as addition of human/elven/goblin subraces which were based on fictional subraces we used for tabletop dwarf fortress campaigns I ran with my friends. It was how I've made them to play DF. What's your story? :)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 04:12:06 pm »

Hah, that's the spirit :). I see what you did here.

You should see the "Elf powered" medical school.

I have nothing special to say other than this looks like a nice mod but I don't see a pattern. I am just curious, did you invent the contents of the mod "on the fly" or is it a part of some setting in your head?

Let me explain, let's take my frigging mod which adds TONS of stuff. Right now I accept suggestions from people and add funny and cool things which work but it started as addition of human/elven/goblin subraces which were based on fictional subraces we used for tabletop dwarf fortress campaigns I ran with my friends. It was how I've made them to play DF. What's your story? :)

Well, it is a bit of both. I've been playing DF for a while now (4-5 years?) I can fondly remember the days of no Z-axis, and can remember when boatmurdered was a developing story. I've always modded little bits here and there. First few things were changing things like being able to play as humans, custom weapons, crazy races, pets, dwarves that breath fire, etc. A few weeks ago I began thinking about all the possibilities of custom buildings and reactions. All of those started coming together during a realllly long car ride where my brother and I talked about crazy, or neat things that could be modded into DF. So I started hammering things out that I thought would be possible to mod in, and this is the first round of things that were all functional.

I plan on adding ALOT more stuff (this is only version .21) I just figured that I would go ahead upload what I had so far for some feedback from the masses. My master plan is to finish putting in all the ideas I have, and then turn this into a set of individual mods where you could play as all the different races. Each race would only have access to certain buildings/reactions, therefore altering the play style for each race.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: (MMP.21) Masakhan's Mod Project (working title)
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 04:16:18 pm »

Oh that's good. If you have any general/specific questions, you can ask me anytime. I am here all the time, and there're other cool guys who can help you (if you need) :).

I asked because I wanted to know where did those strange names come from :). Are they random or is it some real/fictional language?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:19:47 pm »

I know orcs and wargs come from other fantasy settings. The plant names for alchemy are alterations of names of synthetic fibers, acids,plastics, etc. I think everything else came from my own DF warped mind.

EDIT: oh, and Rattan is a real plant that is actually used to make wicker.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:40:01 pm »

I meant Gorethizin, Malastiq and the like :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 05:02:08 pm »

came from my own DF warped mind.

roqi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 09:00:54 am »

Sounds great! But, I think you should change the name of Wargs, maybe simply to Wolfmen? Or Mouls, like in that Pratchett novel?
Wargs as Orc steeds are too well-known among people familiar with LoTR (and there's many of them) to use this name for a new race.

The altars are a great idea. I demand it expanded.
It's too bad you cannot use live dwarves in reactions... and how about corpses?
Why no [HERBIVORE] tag?

masakhan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 12:48:16 pm »

Sounds great! But, I think you should change the name of Wargs, maybe simply to Wolfmen? Or Mouls, like in that Pratchett novel?
Wargs as Orc steeds are too well-known among people familiar with LoTR (and there's many of them) to use this name for a new race

Hrmmmm, I'll give it some thought.

The altars are a great idea. I demand it expanded.

I plan to expand on them.I will probably add more types of altars for the other races when I make them playable, and add more reactions to the altars current available. Any suggestions?

It's too bad you cannot use live dwarves in reactions... and how about corpses?
I actually wanted to only use certain parts of the body for each reaction. I was only going to use skulls for the soulstones, and only bones for sacrifices. Currently, there are some bugs associated with those type of reagents so I will probably go back and change it later. I wish I could use live dwarves (or live creatures) too. My plan was to make a small chance at Armok's altar that Armok would get displeased with some sacrifices, and instantly slay the dwarf.