Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best items for throwing?  (Read 1648 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Best items for throwing?
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:43:17 pm »

Whats your favorite item to throw?

Mines vomit

(How effective is throwing anvils?)
Re: Best items for throwing?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:49:18 pm »

I love throwing Furry Warblers at people :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

CrossBolt

• Bay Watcher
  • Lucid Dreamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 10:08:19 am »

I love throwing Furry Warblers at people :3

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Beat me to it.

I like throwing blood to create more blood, or sometimes different limbs
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where nosebleeds melt your face off.

Ascii Kid

• Bay Watcher
  • This is just a test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:31 am »

There's something satisfying about hurling Sand at a giant from the shadows until it passes out.
"...you'll have you live with your GRANDmother and pick beans!"
-Homer

pickupsticks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:14:27 pm »

I'm a traditionalist (in my mind) so only spears.  It made it a bit easier for me to overlook the broken-ness of it all if my dwarf was actually hurling javelins rather than pebbles to get the kill.

(My first serious character was a spear-dwarf who picked up three very tasty spears along his travels.  The start of most fights would involve casting the two cheaper ones at the biggest enemy... I always imagined he carried them crossed over his back ready to be taken out over the shoulder for action.  Ah, good times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:53 pm »

My favorite throwing weapon was always bolts. Although it made less sense than spears.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:35:19 pm »

My favorite throwing weapon was always bolts. Although it made less sense than spears.

I love how if your throwing skill is high enough, you can do more damage by throwing arrows and bolts than if you were to fire them from their respective weapons.
Hey, look what I did!
Dr. Melon cancels read post: spelling incredibly poor.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 04:37:42 pm »

I love how if your throwing skill is high enough, you can do more damage by throwing arrows and bolts than if you were to fire them from their respective weapons.

I'm not sure about this one, but there used to be this bug where, if you were holding a stack of bolts in your hand and stabbed someone, the game would calculate damage for each bolt held in your hand. That's like instant death, right there.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 04:46:57 pm »

the stabbing bundle of bolts was out in the last version of 40d. and arrows are seriously nerfed in this current version, even my high master thrower has not killed anyone yet with a thrown iron bolt or arrow. have caused injuries though, some enough to slow an enemy or lessen their offensive ability. i also used to grab live vermin and throw them at people back in 40d. started with me trying to sell a live rat to a shopkeeper, then accidentally throwing it and puncturing his skull.

in 40d i made a giant giant fort with all sorts of adventure awesomeness. i had anvils of different substances to test throwing awesomeness, the adamantium ones were incredible. but the king of all thrown things used to be the giant serrated disc, preferably in adamantium for maximum lightness and sharpness. i also tipped ballista bolts with adamantium, and they were freaking awesome as well. ive not tried either of those in the current version, so unfortunately your mileage may vary. currently combat is all strange and crazy and there are bizzare new relationships between weight, speed and cutting surface that make sense sometimes and just outright fail at others. for instance, my iron tipped ballista bolts only seem to bruise things when fired in fortress mode.