Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Alganon  (Read 4670 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Alganon
« on: May 09, 2010, 07:13:56 pm »

I bought it since it went subscription free( like Guildwars) and have been playing it a decent amount. It plays like WoW on a private server since there is almost never more than 50 people at a time on a server right now. While there isn't much grouping it is a lot of fun for me to take my time and immerse myself in the quests and whatnot. Without the PvP pressure to race through I can actually experience the writing and explore at my own pace. Everything is similar and familiar to WoW but in my opinion most of the changes are nice, if subtle. I'm going to post in here a bit to build some interest in what I truly believe to be an underated game. I just ran an easy contest here offering a free copy of the game to the winner and will do another if anyone can think of a good idea.

http://www.alganon.com/trial/index/start

In the mean time here is what is going on:

I have played a ranger to lvl 8 and enjoy his ranged combat and healing abilities which have made him the most survivable character IMO. Also this is the only char that I have spent money on from the shop which I used to buy a permanent mount(a badass giant cat/wolf hybrid) as opposed to renting one with ingame gold. I am raising skinning and leatherworking careers and love the complexity and fun of crafting.

Also raised a fighter to level 6 which has been fun since I am focusing on 2 handed weapons and mining/blacksmithing. Blacksmithing is very useful and profitable! I wonder if I should have focused on cooking instead though since a fighter NEEDs some way to heal.

Raised a healer to 6 but am frustrated by the low damage dealing to this point which is probably due to my failure to understand proper chains of spells/combat.

I have yet to turn on the mage properly.

There is a great trial for this game and if you want it just give me a good idea for a contest and we'll get it going!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 09:15:53 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
Re: Alganon
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »

I've finally got around to downloading the trial, I'll give it a look and see how it is. :P

Edit:

Anyone else on the trial for this? I seem to have hit a wall where all the quests I have need a group to do. The trial is limited to its own server (stupid idea IMHO) so I've not actually seen another person in the game yet.

It seems like there's only two races, which isn't really a bad thing, but it'd be nice to have a few more. I've tried all the classes except warrior, and got them all to at least level 4. Ranger definatly seems overpowered. He has the high DPS of the mage, but with the healing of the cleric. I assume that later on in the game they become much more distinctive, but at lower levels ranger pisses all over the other classes.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:50:25 am by fenrif »

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2010, 05:24:04 pm »

I can't wait to get this set up this weekend!

I won it in hemmingjay's contest. (Not exactly "won", as I was the only competitor...but thanks Hemmingjay!)
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2010, 05:30:11 pm »

It didn't seem half bad from what I saw. I got fed up though since they took down the test server for some reason, meaning all my characters weren't accessable.

I might try and get on this weekend if you're playing (and I still have trial time left)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »

Not quite sure if I'll be on, but I'll sure try :D
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 10:26:30 pm »

Downloading! I is so excited.

...180KB/s
Maybe not till tomorrow....

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 10:32:05 pm »

Still cannot believe somebody hired Derek Smart of all people to fix a game. And then he had the audacity to verbatim steal a speech about SWTOR for the game launch. Can't make this shit up http://www.massively.com/2010/05/08/alganon-steals-press-release-format-from-bioware/

Pathos

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 10:39:56 pm »

DEREK SMART, PHD

I still think he's Craig Charles' estranged brother.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 10:43:30 pm »

Reading the forums, the guy is a psycho.

Like people were talking about how they can get refunds from their bank, they didn't even say they were going to!
And what did he do? Cancel their refunds.

Also, he's said in the forums it is his goal to monotinize the game as much as they will let him.
Guy is evil.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 10:50:44 pm »

Like people were talking about how they can get refunds from their bank, they didn't even say they were going to!

Also, he's said in the forums it is his goal to monotinize the game as much as they will let him.
Guy is evil.

I got Deja Vu from that for some reason...

Anyways, sounds interesting, but too much fail to make me try it.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:51:31 pm »

Guy is evil.

Encyclopedia Dramatica article is... Amazing (and sadly) entirely true.

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 11:28:10 pm »

I believe he is a narcissist.

And I totally believe that two/three people would quit the company because of him.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 11:28:35 pm »

Well at least he's honest about corporate ethics.  The only thing corporations are beholden to is their investors
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 11:30:04 pm »

Download is 1/4th done..
do MMOs usually take this long to download?
Don't know what the heck is up with only 120Kb/s. :(

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2011, 02:06:04 pm »

anyone played this since Smart took over?
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne
Pages: [1] 2