Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...  (Read 17997 times)

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2010, 04:11:37 am »

The game would use atrocious amounts of HDR bloom, even if the graphics are still ASCII.
[...]
we need that, seriously. I can't imagine DF without it anymore. I MUST DO SOMETHING! *goes and creates tileset with glow*
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---
This is why I don't go outside.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2010, 04:26:35 am »

The game would use atrocious amounts of HDR bloom, even if the graphics are still ASCII.
[...]
we need that, seriously. I can't imagine DF without it anymore. I MUST DO SOMETHING! *goes and creates tileset with glow*

Indeed, all dwarves must burn with an intense inner glow shining through their waxy skin, somewhere deep in the uncanny valley.

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2010, 04:30:26 am »

[...]

Indeed, all dwarves must burn with an intense inner glow shining through their waxy skin, somewhere deep in the uncanny valley.
Spoiler: PREVIEW! (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 04:32:17 am by Rainforce »
Burychanneled, the channel megaconstruction is officially dead now...until I revive the savegame XD
Oh Dragon Quemer Gildivory, the Flare of Glowing, you will always have a place in our memories as you strucked down our Zon Tonebolts,useless load "Livid Weight of Shielding"...
---

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2010, 04:36:24 am »

So I ask Bay12, if DF was being published by one of the big software companies...

It was. It's called "Lemmings".
For they would be your masters.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 12, 2010, 04:37:28 am »

I never understood why Commercial games were bad really.

Nolan Bushel started to make games with the clear intent to make money. When he played space uh... commander or fighter? on his college mainframe, he realized that it could indeed make money. Much like american x-mas, there is no separation of commercialization of games.

And the nostalgia point is extremely true. Isn't anyone a fan of James the Angry Video Game Nerd or That Guy With the Glasses (who I dont really care for myself, but very similar vain.)? Shouldnt that ran a clean bell there there many, and mostly bad games back in the day?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 12, 2010, 05:45:47 am »

[...]

Actualy, if gold structures would look somewhat like that trade depot, it would be pretty awesome (needs to follow the boundaries more closely though, the spherical blob effect makes it look ugly). Also, anything that burns should have a similar effect.

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2010, 07:20:19 am »

It's true that the golden days of yore had just as
many - if not more - terrible games.

But the really good games back then were better.  When was the last time anything new, innovative, or impressive came out?  I bet that pretty much anything we could try to name is basically a prettier re-skin of something made before 2000.

The fact is, when 100 guys make a visually impressive game with some cool physics, it's not an accomplishment at all. 

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 12, 2010, 07:25:46 am »

[...]

That ice? That's what I picture adamantine to look like.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Rainforce

• Bay Watcher
  • The Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 12, 2010, 11:50:50 am »

[...]

That ice? That's what I picture adamantine to look like.
ice? Of course not. I have flowing rivers of ADAMANTINE! TAKE THAT DAMN CARPS!
what else do you think all these drowning chambers/channels are for? I just need to make ingots in the right size with impressions of trade depots and screaming elves!!
*hysterical but still undoubtly superior laughter*

Actualy, if gold structures would look somewhat like that trade depot, it would be pretty awesome (needs to follow the boundaries more closely though, the spherical blob effect makes it look ugly). Also, anything that burns should have a similar effect.
well, when I think of it that way.... when DF will turn 3D, we will have the most spectacular animations, the best physics and particle effects,.... but ALL UNITS AND PLANTS ARE STILL IN ASCII. damn that would be... dwarfy.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:59:44 am by Rainforce »
---

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 12, 2010, 11:59:43 am »

I could go for some beautifully rendered 3D ASCII.

That would be stylish

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 12, 2010, 01:24:38 pm »

3D ASCII.
Huh? how do you make 3D ASCII?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

riznar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 12, 2010, 01:29:41 pm »

3D ASCII.

The same way you put 213 goblin bodies in a single square.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2010, 03:22:30 pm »

3D ASCII.

The same way you put 213 goblin bodies in a single square.

Unfortunately no, lazy code won't make 3D ascii. Apologies to Toady.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 12, 2010, 05:12:14 pm »

It's true that the golden days of yore had just as
many - if not more - terrible games.

But the really good games back then were better.  When was the last time anything new, innovative, or impressive came out?  I bet that pretty much anything we could try to name is basically a prettier re-skin of something made before 2000.

The fact is, when 100 guys make a visually impressive game with some cool physics, it's not an accomplishment at all.

Well that is sorta hard to answer without definitions given and stuck to. I'd be happy to dig through my memory and collection to find games that may fit your definition.

Iteration is an empty criticism though. You'll find elements in all entertainment media from other things. A something is marked in a genre because of X Y & Z, and there are only six stories to tell. You're going to come across similar things.

But uh off the top of my head, there some Zelda games. Twilight Princess for Game Cube & Wii, Wind Waker. There was also a Zelda DS title that made excellent use of the touch screen. There also Brain Age, which collection of known tried and true mini games, but presented in a quite fetching package.  Littlebig Planet is an excellent title. Halo 3 in its game play is run of the mill FPS. Its console game multi matches, theater mode and console map editor are top notch that in my opinion havent been match yet in other console titles. Console being the key word here.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 12, 2010, 05:29:00 pm »

I was serious about the "Lemmings" game, by the way.

Here's a description from Wikipedia:

"The behavior of the creatures in Lemmings (stupidly suicidal mammaloids, got that) is based on the supposed behavior of real lemmings (reality, got that), who by urban legend (plenty of those) are believed to go on migrations en masse that eventually lead to disaster (also known as founding a Fortress). The basic objective of the game is to guide lemmings to a designated exit (aka HFS) through a number of obstacles that prevent the player from winning (got that in spades). In order to save the required number of lemmings to win (7?), one must determine how to assign a limited number of eight different skills (lots of skills, got that) to specific lemmings that allow the selected lemming to alter the landscape (mining, skill use, altering the landscape, got that), to affect the behavior (personality, got that) of other lemmings, or to clear obstacles in order to create a safe passage for the rest of the lemmings (again, mining down to doom)."

It's not an exact correlation, ofcourse, but there are definite parallels to draw.
For they would be your masters.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7