Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...  (Read 17970 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: If Dwarf Fortress was a AAA release...
« Reply #75 on: May 13, 2010, 03:43:42 am »

That kobold.

YEAH.  I'd play that game.  Maybe I just have a thing for kobold chicks.  Who remind me of Ayla.

(Also, I really liked the bloom effects posted in an earlier mockup screenshot...)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 13, 2010, 09:32:46 am »

That post about the bald guys in the "dark mysterious" world with good/bad totally reminded me of the first time I saw a trailer for Dragon Age.

All I remember is a bunch of stereotypical bald guys and seductive vixens leaping out from behind rocks and attacking enemies.  I seriously thought it was a parody of modern games and laughed my butt off.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 13, 2010, 09:39:46 am »

I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurm_Online
Reading the description, there seems to be more than one similarity to everyone's favourite game.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 13, 2010, 09:42:45 am »

I just found this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurm_Online
Reading the description, there seems to be more than one similarity to everyone's favourite game.

I can tell you from personal experience that it's garbage.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2010, 09:44:43 am »

It somehow made #20 on the PC Gamer top 20, god knows how if it's as bad as you say.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Rutilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 13, 2010, 09:56:46 am »

It somehow made #20 on the PC Gamer top 20, god knows how if it's as bad as you say.

Admirable concept, crappy execution?

Mfbrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:36 am »

That pcgamer list is the equivalent of asking a bunch of 16 year old girls to name the top 20 rock bands ever.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #82 on: May 13, 2010, 11:15:24 am »

The dwarf needs a sidekick, maybe a hot tigerwoman chick samurai. Oh and the love interest. Better make her a hot elf chick. Make that two hot elf chicks and "slutty yet demure" human priestess type. Can we get Vin Diesel to voice the dwarf? We can make the dwarf completely bald, so it kindof looks like him...And the "big bad" should be a hot demon chick with naughty tentacles.

I prefer this cast:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Win Overload.

And somehow DF made into the PCgamer list...
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 13, 2010, 11:49:42 am »

God might not know but I do - lists of "top X" anything aren't worth the paper they're written on. :)

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 13, 2010, 12:38:21 pm »

I prefer this cast:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Who drew that? :D And is it from something else which just happens to bear a striking similarity to DF?

I mean, between the cats, elf, dwarf, kobold, and colossus, it looks straight out of DF, but you never know...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 12:58:09 pm by Beeskee »
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 13, 2010, 02:20:59 pm »

Ah Wurm. I played that.
It's not bad, just really hard to get started, especially once you start getting hungry and fail to find any food and then things go horrible.

And my project to make stairways to heaven and floor it all closed failed when I found out you couldn't even do that.

Was very sad.
Also the point I stopped playing.

Anyway. To keep up with the thread...

In a simplified Dorf Fort, you designate an area that is a Mine, and depending on the location you get random pieces of stone, ore and gems.

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 13, 2010, 05:12:31 pm »

The game would use atrocious amounts of HDR bloom, even if the graphics are still ASCII.
[...]
we need that, seriously. I can't imagine DF without it anymore. I MUST DO SOMETHING! *goes and creates tileset with glow*

Indeed, all dwarves must burn with an intense inner glow shining through their waxy skin, somewhere deep in the uncanny valley.
Spoiler: PREVIEW! (click to show/hide)
Alright, now some excessive motion blur when moving around and a depth of field effect and it'll be all next-gen!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 14, 2010, 09:01:16 am »

yeah just add some bloom, space marines, boobs, something about saving the world, immense graphics, level grind, DF will be a hit!

carebear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 14, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »

yeah just add some bloom, space marines, boobs, something about saving the world, immense graphics, level grind, DF will be a hit!
An elaborate description of the shape and size of the breasts (coming in many varieties) for the females in their character description is exactly what DF needs right now!

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 14, 2010, 04:19:42 pm »

An elaborate description of the shape and size of the breasts (coming in many varieties) for the females in their character description is exactly what DF needs right now!

That is actually quite possible. We could even have them be different colors, or be covered in feathers!
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7