Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Today I witnessed a millon dollar mistake  (Read 3716 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Today I witnessed a millon dollar mistake
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:58 pm »

Either the forklift braised a pipe going up to the ceiling, or it hit the water pipes running on the ceiling. They are the kind of forklifts that raise up comically high.

The RF guns do shoot laser beams, and it's suggested not to shoot other people with them.

Oddly enough, they day before the incident, I asked a supervisor if I could be trained as an equipment operator, and if you have to be certified to do so. (no, and a discomforting no)
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2010, 11:49:20 pm »

Really? Safety rules at the grocery store I used to work in indicated that you needed a license to operate a forklift, even a regular one in an extremely narrow passage. Kohl's is making a stand against regulations, I see!
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 10, 2010, 11:54:52 pm »

Perhaps it's an Ohio thing, as Elder Beerman and ISupply don't require either. The training is internal, so I don't know how you break into that exciting field of work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tqd4aPs5WTA There may be a subtitled one out there too
While talking to AJ:

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 02:16:14 pm »

Maybe they're trying to solve overpopulation by increasing workplace accidents.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 11:50:46 pm »

After the whole thing, I took a moment to look at where the EXIT signs were, and to my surprise, they are just about everywhere, and they are double-sided! How's that supposed to work?! Apparently to them, any way is a step in the right direction.

Evidently they want you to run around like headless chickens until you die, so you can never mention how incompetent they are.

psh who reads threads before posting in them.

oohh dear what happened here....
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49:58 am »

Ohio requires forklift certification, at least in the auto parts plants and window factories.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2010, 08:37:28 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAOVkKWNfdo
This happens... I even remember a mini-movie about a guy at his first day at work as a forklift driver... Which turned into a gorefest with flying chainsaws and men cut in half.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2010, 08:46:20 am »

I am astonished that he said you don't need certification to operate a Forklift; i know for a facy you do in Australia. I also know that most Forklifts have a wierd on\off arrangement which means that it is in fact entirely possible to know how to turn a forklift on but not how to turn it off.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2010, 09:06:26 am »

I am astonished that he said you don't need certification to operate a Forklift; i know for a facy you do in Australia. I also know that most Forklifts have a wierd on\off arrangement which means that it is in fact entirely possible to know how to turn a forklift on but not how to turn it off.

You do in almost every state in the union.  i had to get certified in both Texas and Oklahoma.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

While working at a directional drilling firm, I once made a $150,000 typo.  I was designing the wellbore for the next well we would drill, and entered in the TD point (total depth, the place we want to quit drilling)  incorrectly, transposing some numbers.  So instead of drilling 5202' north, 3235' east, we drilled 3235' east, 5202' north.

This violated leases and almost got Oxy in trouble;  directional drilling isnt allowed to steal oil like that any more (on paper).  We ended up having to cement that well in and re-drill it for free.

The greatest thing is that, when i discovered this and told my boss,  he just laughed.  we were rolling in money.  He didn't care.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »

Yeah that gorefest is the German instruction training video
While talking to AJ:

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:00 pm »

You know you have a good job when 150k isn't a big deal.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 08:30:11 am »

You know you have a good job when 150k isn't a big deal.
'
I don't know about 'good'.  Keep in mind that was only possible because we were blood-sucking vampires;  the end result of that $150,000 was passed on to the consumer.  Directional drilling is ridiculously overpriced;  the amount of money we charge for the shit we do is ludicrous. 

To have two consultants on a rig, it costs about $11,000 per day, minimum.  The price goes up to $250,000 if you want the full package.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 09:21:01 am »

Hmm... a false alarm causing more damage than a real fire? Someone made a real stupid mistake in designing their security system. It's really my main annoyance with security - "security experts" thinks that a tiny bit of extra security far exceeds any inconvenience. It's pretty stupid to leave an ultra-sensitive water sprinkler system in a place where the system itself could damage the goods. What if someone accidentally elbowed one of those fire alarm buttons or if some cigarette smoke sets off the heat sensors?

Heh, anyway, the worst mistake I ever heard was when a certain friend of mine accidentally wiped out the memory of a factory machine queue thingy while trying to optimize it. That line produced several thousands of dollars worth of merchandise a minute and many people were really pissed off about it being brought down for half a day.

The RF guns do shoot laser beams, and it's suggested not to shoot other people with them.

Lol, I'm pretty sure a RF gun doesn't shoot lasers XD
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 11:03:41 am »

It has a barcode scanner :P
While talking to AJ:
Pages: 1 2 [3]