Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Today I witnessed a millon dollar mistake  (Read 3711 times)

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Today I witnessed a millon dollar mistake
« on: May 09, 2010, 06:49:42 pm »

Well yesterday, but I found out the damage total today

At the Kohls Distribution Center, I watched a forklift driver puncture the water sprinkler system, which then kicked in for a large section of the warehouse. Immediately, the fire alarm went off, halting work as employees and supervisors scrambled to know whether it was the fire alarm or the tornado alarm. The alarm itself sounded about the same as a forklift truck backing up, and just about as loud. If it was a tornado, we'd go to the center of the building, and if it were a fire, we'd flee outside. Apparently the alarms sound very similar, which would lead to catastrophic results if something happened. To top it all off, the temps don't have any training whatsoever on any emergency drills, and most of the employees didn't even know what was going on.

The cost of nicking the sprinkler system with a machine? Over one million dollars in inventory alone, and thousands of dollars in lost wages and productivity, plus replacing the orders' inventory, not to mention the headaches of dealing with all those customers and scrambling to get stuff shipped. A total inventory count will happen on Tuesday and Wednesday, and only inventory staff would be able to work. (Overtime will be available to them)

If the sprinklers would have been only 30 feet closer to the south, it would have hit The RF Gun Cage, meaning all the unused inventory guns, batteries, set-up equipment, and other various vital parts of the entire warehouse's server would have been down for the count, which would have been in the Tens of Millions of Dollars. Thankfully, the server itself is away from the gun cage.

Kohls online purchases may be a little delayed.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 07:23:27 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:
In college I studied the teachings of Socrates and Aeropostale

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Today I witnessed a millon dollar mistake
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 07:04:05 pm »

Haha, that must suck.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:08:37 pm »

You should've waved to him right before he ran into it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 10:12:14 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 10:19:45 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 10:13:09 pm »

So... do you think the fire/tornado alarm thing is gonna get sorted out and become better?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29:13 pm »

The equipment driver was fired...that's a lot of damages for a lowly distribution worker. As in, more money than he'd make in 30 years lot.

They aren't going to do anything about the alarms. On a good note, I know what the fire alarm sounds like, so if it's different, and it's cloudy outside, I'll assume its a tornado. I read the posters, so I know where the exits are.

Kohls has their shit together way better than Elder Beerman, but it's still bad. I'm sure OSHA would be all over what happened.

After the whole thing, I took a moment to look at where the EXIT signs were, and to my surprise, they are just about everywhere, and they are double-sided! How's that supposed to work?! Apparently to them, any way is a step in the right direction.
While talking to AJ:

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:08 pm »

So... do you think the fire/tornado alarm thing is gonna get sorted out and become better?
They have decided to remove both; this incident showed them their employees aren't worth saving from a firey death.  :P

The big question is: did you catch it on video to put it on failblog?

smigenboger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:30:44 pm »

hey...I'm worth saving

If I would have pulled out my phone, I would have been fired on the spot. Though it would have been awesome
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:36:55 pm by smigenboger »
While talking to AJ:

Flaming Dorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh No Indian!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 10:31:51 pm »

...wonder if he got fired.
[PERMITTED_JOINT:100] (It's a maximum number per day. This is the elven setting)

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

Stories like that make me wish I could just buy a cabin in the mountains (plus internet) and stay far, far away from anything resembling a company.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 10:35:36 pm »

...wonder if he got fired.
The answers you seek lies three posts above you.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 11:07:18 pm by Jackrabbit »

Pathos

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 11:06:39 pm »

After the whole thing, I took a moment to look at where the EXIT signs were, and to my surprise, they are just about everywhere, and they are double-sided! How's that supposed to work?! Apparently to them, any way is a step in the right direction.

Evidently they want you to run around like headless chickens until you die, so you can never mention how incompetent they are.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 11:15:46 pm »

You give them too much credit.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:29 am »

Evidently they want you to run around like headless chickens until you die, so you can never mention how incompetent they are.
Sounds like the people running the place play DF. :P

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2010, 02:25:24 am »

There are so many people decrying this event for its lunacy and sadness for humanity that I have to wonder how many of them actually work in a job where this sort of thing actually does happen from time to time.

I feel bad for the guy, though one has to wonder how a forklift bumps into the sprinkler system of a distribution centre unless he was fooling around.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: [1] 2 3