Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Well great, now something is spreading through my fortress too...  (Read 3086 times)

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So a forgotten beast came... it has like, a poisonous bite or something, not sure... they all have something, who can remember it all?

So I dispatched the military, of course. Apart from my elite warriors, there were also some war dogs in the squad. One of the war dogs has given birth to pups and the little morons followed their mother into battle like the idiots they are.

So the beast does... something and suddenly all the dogs piled around it fly away. Some of them just died then and there, but most got something weirder... all their limbs got damaged (yellow color), yet inspection revealed no wound whatsoever.

After the battle was over, the dogs carried on walking around in the fortress. What's weird is that their condition spread! All the animals in the fort gradually lost use of all four of their legs, and not just the dogs. What's worse is their condition seems to worsen and they eventually suffocate from the fluids filling their lungs (or something), despite the fact they have no internal injuries.

It only seems to affect the animals, so I'm not too worried. Apart from making them a little sad, my dwarves are unaffected, so not really planning on taking drastic measures to stop the spread. At least we can cull the puppy population a little.

But still, I'm curious... what could have caused this?

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well great, now something is spreading through my fortress too...
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 04:17:44 pm »

I've got an elephant infected from forgotten beast vapors, but now its spread to 5 elephants and one dwarf.  Starts off with extreme pain and a bout of unconsciousness, and later fever, and a while after that tons of body parts turning yellow.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

shadowform

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 04:49:36 pm »

I've got a toxin hopping around that causes blindness, numbness, paralyzation, and suffocation shortly afterward.  I've lost a number of dogs and have two dwarves 'quarantines' (walled in) in the hospital.
Q: What do you get when you take 100 clear glass windows, 1000 silver bars, 6700 gold bars, and 18,000 marble blocks?

A: A very large wall.

"Alright, here's Helltooth... Harborfence... Urist, come get GenericBlade... and you. Welcome to the Danger Room. First timers get good ol' Ballswallowed. Have fun and try not to take off your own toe."

Marconius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 05:32:19 pm »

Thing is, these animals function properly for a while, then they start falling unconscious randomly, and eventually they suffocate. None of them seem to be in pain or dehydrated or anything... they just walk around, then suddenly they suffocate to death. Only injury that shows up is on their legs, and even that doesn't show in their actual description in any way.

Also, no dwarves have been affected so far.

troodon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 05:36:14 pm »

Sounds useful.  "Oh what a cute cat you've brought with you, Mr. Cheesemaker.  Don't mind me, I'll just sprinkle it with this mysterious fluid..."

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 05:37:11 pm »

Dealing with pandemics. Awesome!
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:03:52 pm »

Dealing with pandemics. Awesome!

But the thing is, we don't know how to cure it. Less awesome.
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 08:21:47 pm »

But the thing is, we don't know how to cure it. Less awesome.
Diseases cannot spread on their own for now, and are caused by FB's extract/blood. So if you wash away all the contaminants from fort, dorfs and animals, it should be alright.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:20 pm »

Well, I'd say tag the infected animals for slaughter. That's how I dealt with the unsanitary miasma-causing vomit-spreading rotten dogs after a forgotten beast.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 08:47:38 pm »

Never mind that it's pretty difficult to do that without just making a room full of containments. Or making it spread to your water supply.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

HungryHobo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 09:15:24 pm »

I saw some people dabbling in this on the modding forum- making toxins which cause damage.

One I'm thinking of is one which caused necrosis.

If there was a pool of the toxin on the floor then animals would walk through it, gradually it would cause their legs to rot off before killing them.
worse still they'd track it around and leave smeers of it everywhere which would infect others.

could be the thing.

might the dwarves be unaffected because they wear boots?

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:37:12 pm »

Working plagues, I love this game.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 10:41:46 pm »

I saw some people dabbling in this on the modding forum- making toxins which cause damage.

One I'm thinking of is one which caused necrosis.

If there was a pool of the toxin on the floor then animals would walk through it, gradually it would cause their legs to rot off before killing them.
worse still they'd track it around and leave smeers of it everywhere which would infect others.

could be the thing.

might the dwarves be unaffected because they wear boots?

exactly what i was thinking.

step up shoe and sock production, the naked are doomed.

and don't wash the floors with water, the contaminant may be spread to body parts other than legs.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spotswood

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:21 pm »

Can you set up a shower or "bath" room? Like put all that are contaminated in the room then flood to 4/7 so they're swimming and then empty the room. Wouldnt that wash the contaminant off?

DuckBoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:49:07 pm »

Well, I'd say tag the infected animals for slaughter. That's how I dealt with the unsanitary miasma-causing vomit-spreading rotten dogs after a forgotten beast.

Of course!  We should butcher all the sick dogs and create +black death stew+.  Bet it would taste better than sewer brew.  Too bad you can only drink it once.  Well, twice if someone's nice enough to bring you some in bed :).

On the other hand, i'd be interested to see if you could use this to poison nobles.
Pages: [1] 2