Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well great, now something is spreading through my fortress too...  (Read 3079 times)

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Well great, now something is spreading through my fortress too...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 11:25:34 pm »

Never mind that it's pretty difficult to do that without just making a room full of containments. Or making it spread to your water supply.
It just takes some planning for the fort, to include sewage and wash-system.
With water flow, contaminants 'stick' only to the walls, and if you surround all walls with channels, it should be washed down, i believe.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2010, 11:39:18 pm »

Well, I'd say tag the infected animals for slaughter. That's how I dealt with the unsanitary miasma-causing vomit-spreading rotten dogs after a forgotten beast.

Of course!  We should butcher all the sick dogs and create +black death stew+.  Bet it would taste better than sewer brew.  Too bad you can only drink it once.  Well, twice if someone's nice enough to bring you some in bed :).

On the other hand, i'd be interested to see if you could use this to poison nobles.

It at least stops the dogs perpetually depressing the guy they're assigned to.
'Urist mcMacedwarf has been unhappy lately. He was disgusted by a miasma lately. He was comforted by a pet lately. He was disgusted by a miasma lately. He has taken joy in slaughter recently.
He enjoys Pina Coladas, and grumbles only mildly at incelement weather.'
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 04:03:37 pm »

I have the same syndrome going in my fort now, except I used the clean tool to get rid of all the blood after the first one died.  Still keeps hitting animals and dwarfs.  A small tantrum spiral started when one guy lost a kid and spouse, he started a fight which started another... until they were speared to death... but I have lost about 9 dwarfs in one season from just dropping and suffocating.

No real chance to quarantine, since it seems to be happening pretty randomly.
igless

Rotten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 04:10:29 pm »

On the other hand, i'd be interested to see if you could use this to poison nobles.
"So how do you like your new swimming pool, tax collector... yes, yes, purple water is completely normal..."
True, but at a certain velocity the resulting explosion expels invader-bits at fatal speeds. You don't want to be dropping trogdolyte-shaped shrapnel bombs into your boneworks.
Only in Dwarf Fortress...

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 04:18:58 pm »

Sweet gods...
this is like a dwarf fortress Necrosis
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 04:37:45 pm »

It might not be affecting the dwarves because they have footwear.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 05:34:02 pm »

Well unfortunately in my fortress, everyone claims clothes and then sticks them into their cabinets.  Most of the fort is running around naked, despite piles and piles of clothing.

Clothing is my main industry for trade... Everyone owns at least one masterful sock if not more!  They just don't wear anything.
igless

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 08:12:32 pm »

Sweet gods...
this is like a dwarf fortress Necrosis

necrophiliac fortress?

Well unfortunately in my fortress, everyone claims clothes and then sticks them into their cabinets.  Most of the fort is running around naked, despite piles and piles of clothing.

Clothing is my main industry for trade... Everyone owns at least one masterful sock if not more!  They just don't wear anything.

nudist necrophiliac fortress! Of short drunken people.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Hyperturtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:25 pm »

Necrophilliac nudist drunks you say?

it got even better.  A New and Improved Forgotten Beast arrived.  He was a humanoid made of Ice and I was to beware its poisonous breath!  No kidding.  The guy knocked the first wave of soldiers (nearly all legendaries) out cold with the gas sphere he expellled, and the second and third squads battled a LONG time.

Finally I got its head off, but not before he severely trounced everyone.  Lots of wounded and a few dead.

The wounded that could walk set their task to rest, and then were completely obliterated by traps on the way back.  Little ēs scattered all over...

The ones carried back started to miasmasize the hospital--every body part was wounded yellow and they were rotting inside and out!

So, I now have necrophilliac nude drunken rotting dwarfs!
igless

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2010, 01:40:19 am »

Um... I think you mean "necrotic" or "necrotizing" or something along those lines (root word "necrosis"). "Necrophiliac" means something completely different.
Of course, there's always the chance that Toady put in the squickiest poison effect ever, in which case I love/am slightly disturbed by him forever.
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2010, 01:52:21 am »

We know exactly which word means what (at least I do >.>), it's a joke.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Mr Frog

• Bay Watcher
  • A respectable sort of psychopath
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 03:37:31 am »

Joke? Is that something you eat? :o
A great human twisted into humanoid form. It has an emaciated appearance and it squirms and fidgets. Beware its bronyism!

Spawn of Holistic, and other mods

My tileset. Because someone asked. (Now with installation instructions!)
I so want your spawn babies

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 10:31:56 pm »

Is there anything a dwarf doesn't attempt to eat?

Don Blake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 10:41:00 pm »

Is there anything a dwarf doesn't attempt to eat?

Dining room tables.  They like them just where they are, thank you.

*Urist McAnguish is ecstatic.  He has lost a friend to tragedy recently.  He has complained of thirst recently.  He has lost a lover to tragedy recently.  He has admired a great dining room table recently.

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 12:32:20 pm »

i have a similar problem to hyper...
200+ dwarves and the only ones wearing clothing are the ones in the military (who seem to go put something on when they go off duty)
the miners are naked but for their picks... the 40+ bins of silk and cloth clothing sit filled to the brim... the little dwarf rooms with their cabinets all have 3 or 4 pieces of claimed clothing each - but never do the dwarfs put anything on to replace their XX(tatteredcrap)XX

i've figured out so many of the weird quirks in this game through trial and error (and discovering them as 'known issues' in the buglist)... but this one seems to be beyond me.

One thing i did was to make military squads with a 'clothing' uniform... that seemed to work - but then they started spending hours going back and forth bin to bin putting clothing away and picking new clothing options etc... so it wasnt really a good answer.

i dont mind naked dwarfs... well... you know what i mean... but really it gets annoying when some 'hungry head' comes roaming in out of a corner somewhere and the dwarf nearby suffers brain damage because he refuses to wear the masterwork cap that he has in his cabinet
Pages: 1 [2]