Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Both lung injuries should cause death faster.  (Read 1884 times)

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Both lung injuries should cause death faster.
« on: May 09, 2010, 08:16:26 am »

When you die from no air you pass out first, and death occurs in minutes (3 actually)

In df, you run around just fine for quite a long time and BAM! your dead.

death from lack of air should be quicker and cause passing out.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Both lung injuries should cause death faster.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 08:19:30 am »

Also, damage to the [NERVOUS] system should cause paralysis and suffocation, like a broken neck used to in 40d.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:35:43 am »

Also, damage to the [NERVOUS] system should cause paralysis and suffocation, like a broken neck used to in 40d.

suffocation still happens I think, I broke my upper spine and died frm suffocated.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 04:42:17 pm »

Actually, you can survive 3 minutes without permanent brain damage. It takes you closer to 5 minutes to actually full-on die from suffocation.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:39:56 pm »

IRL it varies drastically, and modern science is starting to push that time limit out further.  Most of the damage appears to occur during re-oxygenation: anoxia seems to be no big deal, everything just goes dormant.  It's not entirely clear yet how to get tissues to come out of dormancy without kicking into apoptosis; that's active research.

In-game, dwarves only just learned how to use soap and gauze, so we shouldn't expect much on that end.  Still, death seems pretty quick.  Most things that lose a lung pass out immediately.  Legendary toughness lets you do legendary things before you inevitably die; that seems OK from a story-telling perspective.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 07:41:29 am »

Contrary to the above point, it is possible for a dwarf to survive until death by old age with a merely mangled lung. I suspect severed would have the same effect if no bleed was active.

However, dwarves with both lungs mangled do eventually die. I just watched one of my weavers take a bolt to both lungs at the beginning of a siege and only suffocate after the last goblin had been beheaded.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Toybasher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 04:49:57 pm »

Contrary to the above point, it is possible for a dwarf to survive until death by old age with a merely mangled lung. I suspect severed would have the same effect if no bleed was active.

However, dwarves with both lungs mangled do eventually die. I just watched one of my weavers take a bolt to both lungs at the beginning of a siege and only suffocate after the last goblin had been beheaded.

Is severed lungs actually possible?

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »

suffocation still happens I think, I broke my upper spine and died frm suffocated.

That sounds painful. It's good that you're still posting, though... It's important to keep active after violent death. You don't want to stiffen up.
For they would be your masters.

Narmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 08:56:53 pm »

It's not just lungs, there is in general a lack of effect, both in terms of long term health and short term combat impairment, from a number of different kinds of injuries that would be extremely nasty in real life. And it's not something that can fully be explained away by "tough dwarves/monsters/etc should be able to keep going" - it happens for everyone, from the lowliest elven child to the mightiest titan.  Some form of toughness and willpower based mitigation of such effects is certainly needed, but first the effects need to be there!

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 11:37:38 pm »

Well, pain and shock could be modelled in, but in terms of the pure "mechanics" of biology, it might perhaps be useful if injuries were to reduce a given organ's efficiency by a percentile, based on the level of the injury. So that a heavy blow to the ribs might reduce the heart/lung efficiency by X amount.

That could then be scalable, and the percentages could then be trackable to a list of specific complications tied to that level of organ injury.

Also, it might work out well for critters that have several multiples of organs: Extra hearts, extra brains, what have you.
For they would be your masters.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 08:44:08 pm »

Pain is in already.  Maybe it got nerfed in the new combat system?  Used to be that junior troops would keel over pretty quick from the pain of being punched.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 12:10:48 pm »

Pain is in already.  Maybe it got nerfed in the new combat system?  Used to be that junior troops would keel over pretty quick from the pain of being punched.
The Legendary Wrestler punches The Kobold Thief in the upper body! It bruises the fat through the pig tail tunic!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:22:03 pm by DarthCloakedDwarf »
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 03:09:43 pm »

Speaking of which, high-skill strikers and such should be able to break bones, and said broken leg bone should make the victim FALL OVER, like it did in the last version.  :(
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 06:57:32 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!