Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Silent Hunter III - Damn These Torpedoes!  (Read 17075 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Silent Hunter III - Damn These Torpedoes!
« on: May 09, 2010, 05:41:57 am »

A little backstory.  About a week ago, Janet started talking about this game Silent Hunter III, and she made an LP thread for it.  It's a pretty cool game.  I've just gotten into it, as other people have, and I want to talk about it.  And there's no reason to stuff up Janet's thread, so here we go.

The Silent Hunter series are simulationist videogames where you get to captain a submarine in great detail, and SH3 makes you Kapitan of an Unterseeboot in the Kriegsmarine.  Hells yeah.  The well-armed and ever vigilant warships and airplanes of the Allied Nations are your second greatest danger.  The first is your horribly inefficient and underwhelming 1939-model U-boat and technology within it.  It can be a very painful game.

Among its good points: The immersion is great, and made greater by mods; you really feel like you're in the boat.  The attention to detail is almost perfect (there are problems).  And the gameplay consists of two principle activities - blowing up unarmed merchants, and running for your life from things can easily kill you - which makes it rather satisfying when you're not actually dead.

Among its bad points: Sailing is the fine and ancient art of get soaking wet and deathly ill while very slowly going nowhere at great expense, and SH3 models the mind-numbing tedium of repeatedly crossing the North Sea in a floating can very accurately.  You spend most of your gameplay mashing the time-compression button waiting for something to happen.  The load times (especially with mods) don't help.  On a different note, the attention to historical detail, namely the incredibly unreliable triggers on torpedoes and paper-thin hulls of the U-boats, will make learning to play the game an exercise in frustration.  If you're into simulation or U-boats though, it does pay off.

I'll offer four pieces of advice on time-management.  1) Abuse time-compression as often and greatly as possible.  2) Just because your guys spot a ship doesn't mean you have to go chase it down and inspect it.  3) Multitask while sailing, such as watching a movie or reading a book.  And 4) Don't try to sail the Kaiser Wilhelm Canal or any other area of tight navigation.  The game won't let you advance time by more than 4x if the water is shallow, which can make the 98 kilometer journey take about three real-time hours.  Desert Bus already fulfills this game-play niche nicely, so don't bother.

Finally, there's a mod for SH3 called The Grey Wolves, which spiffs up a lot of detail issues and bugfixes, as well as making the graphics a lot prettier.  I know pretty graphics are verboten on this forum, but when you're playing a simulation of an activity that heavily relies on the eyeballs (spotting ships on the ocean, specifically), you're going to be staring at the graphics quite often.  It's only sensible to make them kinda pretty, especially since stock SH3 looks rather ass for a 2005 game.

And now I shall regale you with my so-far brief and nearly uneventful career.
Spoiler: Sieg Heil! (click to show/hide)

While I'm here, there's some oddities I should ask about, from people who actually know what they're doing.  Is it normal to get unannounced contact-signals of ships on your map, from dozens of kilometers away that you couldn't possibly have spotted?  How am I supposed to find these ships sending distress signals by map-coordinates, when there are no coordinates on the map, and the coordinates sometimes point to real-world locations far inland where only an airship could have sailed to?  Why do the reports from other U-Boats list locations like "AN4192" or such, with more numbers than they're supposed to have?  And somehow, after my last patrol I returned to base with two torpedo-qualified pettyofficers that I didn't leave with, bringing my crew compliment to two above full.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Silent Hunter III - Damn These Torpedoes!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 06:18:58 am »

I was just thinking about getting this game yesterday, as I'm in some kind of submarine mood. I played Silent Hunter 4, and still have it, but it's in the pacific. Obviously, nobody really wants to be in the pacific in a uboat. So, for anyone who has played both, how much of a downgrade is SH3 from SH4 gameplay wise? Has SH5 been made into something that isn't a piece of crap, anyway? I'm not really so sure I want to go through the trouble of getting 3 if 4 is much of an improvement on it.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

SH3 was AWESOME. Haven'ft played SH4, but I have played SH5, and it's... A lot less awesome. Somehow.
You're walking around in your boat, talking to your crew more, but the actual torpedo-controls are a lot more bothersome. The german voices are really cool though, and actually sound different when stress-levels are elevated.

And yes, I've tried, but no, I can't fire manually. Somehow I just don't get the whole "Angle on bow" thing.

As to your last question, Aqizzar, you occasionally receive reports of convoys, spotted by aircraft or other subs, from the fatherland. If you spot a convoy yourself, you can also report their location back to headquarters (how that helps you in-game, I don't know), but you need to be surfaced for radio-contact.

Had to laugh at your story though :D
Tips:
- Go around Denmark. Although in SH5 it is possible to sail the canal, it's still bothersome to lay out the route...
- When shooting your deck-gun, aim at the waterline. Superficial damage to the ship itself won't sink it.
- When shooting torpedoes, two is always better than one, even for smaller cargo-ships. Aiming so the torpedo will hit the side of your target, at a right angle, gives you A: less chance of a deflect and B: More area to hit.
- For better damage, but also a bit harder to pull off: Shoot a torpedo with magnetic ignition, and make sure it goes deeper than the depth of the ship, to just BELOW your target. If it works, it'll explode right under their keel, for massive damage. Magnetic ignition fails a lot, and you'll have to guess the depth of the ship correctly, but one torpedo can sink a bigger cargoship.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 01:22:09 pm by Siquo »

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Apple Master

• Bay Watcher
  • The Master of Apples. IT IS AN APPLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 01:19:31 pm »

I love the Silent Hunter series <3.
I have 2, and to be quite honest I'm not certain 3 would run on my pc, which is a shame.
PSN: SirAppleforth. Add me and say you're from Bay12!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 01:24:47 pm »

Can someone do a LP where the player starts World War II early?  :D
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 01:43:22 pm »

I have the original Silent Hunter on my NES. It really feels like it belongs on PC though (which it was surely originally made for). Haven't played later ones though.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 02:26:22 pm »

I've found the best way to sink ships with the deck gun is to get in slightly rough seas, and as the trough of the wave passes shoot under the waterline. 
Shoes...

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 02:32:07 pm »

I have the original Silent Hunter on my NES. It really feels like it belongs on PC though (which it was surely originally made for). Haven't played later ones though.
I've got a ROM of Silent Service, which is very similar(the same?), except it's a US sub in Japanese waters.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 02:32:19 pm »

Oh yeah, I had that, too! That was awesome in its time, although it was called "Silent Service", as I recall.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

Oops! Yeah, you're right. They're up to Silent Hunter 4 or 5 now aren't they? Are those not as good as 3?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 03:00:11 pm »

4 is Pacific and you play as an... American.
Blegh.

SH5 is Nazi Germany in the North Sea and Atlantic again, but I can't really get the hang of the targeting, or the controls. The immersion (no pun intended) is a lot better though, as you have a crew with personalities, history, a wife back home they'll talk about, and who can gain "extra abilities" (like engine overdrive or something), that you can only activate by actually walking through your sub to them and talking to them. Walking through your sub is awesome in it's own right.

Also, fast travel can kill you, said Kaleun Siquo, as he plowed his U-boot into Helgoland on his first mission...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 05:27:50 pm »

4 was originally supposed to be an expansion pack for 3 called Wolves of the Pacific but for some reason part of the way through development they decided to make it stand alone and rush it out the door incomplete.  That's why it looks exactly like 3 but is missing a bunch of features despite the few it added, and is also why you won't see a 4 anywhere on the packaging.  The only place it exists is where it's been poorly tacked on to the opening splash screen for the game.

I was looking forward the Wolves of the Pacific too, it was really disappointing how it turned out.  It's basically 3 but with a more diversified dynamic campaign, slightly improved graphics, and a broken/missing interface.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 05:31:01 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 05:31:43 pm »

Never played any of these games, simulation games are for the patient...and time skippers.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 08:37:32 pm »

I wanted to love 4, as I was a huge fan of the original Silent Hunter, which took place in the Pacific where you were in an American sub. In my opinion 4 was actually really good. I loved everything about it, except for the fact that the Pacific is big... much bigger than the Atlantic and even Sailing around relatively tiny Europe was tedious in 3. In 4 it's generally worse. They allow more time compression, but it gets to a point where your CPU just can't handle any more time compression and you don't gain any extra benefit from pumping it up higher. It gets slightly better as the war progresses and you get ports closer to Japan opening up, but my god, the sail from Pearl Harbor to the Japanese coast is mind numbing. From Midway is almost as bad, and from Australia is bad + a navigation annoyance. I ended up going back to 3 for this fact alone. I refused to buy 5 on the principle of god awful DRM.(The same stuff they stuck on Assassin's Creed 2) It's a shame, I want to support the developers, but Ubisoft goes and does that.

mongrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:36:25 pm »

Is Silent Hunter related to Silent Service (Microprose) at all? I loved SS on the Amiga but always thought they were separate dev teams/publishers.
Pages: [1] 2 3