Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85447 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #900 on: August 08, 2012, 09:50:39 pm »

So it's a mediocre game.

Considering this comment, you might be waiting quite a while.  :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 08, 2012, 10:16:04 pm »

You know, i really liked that bronze statue thing they had as a preorder. Glad I didn't do that, though.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 09, 2012, 08:23:08 am »

So it's a mediocre game.

Considering this comment, you might be waiting quite a while.  :P

:'(
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 09, 2012, 08:25:13 am »

On the bright side, the sequel/standalone expansion/thing is looking to be much more the game the first was looking to be. I haven't touched the Beta, but have been hearing good things. It's also free to those of us who bought War of Magic early.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 09, 2012, 12:43:18 pm »

I haven't checked the latest updates but Fallen Enchantress is mediocre+ at least. Its biggest issue (imo) was bland tactical combat far more dependent on stats than tactics. There's just not enough useful pieces there (nor proper urban/siege environments) to make its combat interesting to me in the long-term and I found myself consistently using the same tactics/spells to achieve victory. My sovereigns alone could wipe out entire armies after level 15, sometimes with a single spell depending on build. I did however enjoy the customization options available.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 10, 2012, 11:25:50 pm »

You know, i really liked that bronze statue thing they had as a preorder. Glad I didn't do that, though.

And I assume the bronze statute thing had four hands, all giving the purchaser "da finger".  :P

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 10, 2012, 11:27:42 pm »

Nope, it was a dragon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 10, 2012, 11:44:43 pm »

The main problem with the game was when it was released. It was announced in March of the year it released, to be released in August. It was built on an entirely new game engine they made in-house; it was so new they didn't even put the 3D engine in the beta until June; a mere 2 months before it was set to release. As such, it had massive memory leaks and other memory related problems which made it nearly unplayable. You had to go in (and you may still have to, dunno if they fixed it since) and manually change the Large Address Aware flag on the .exe file, allowing it to use more than 2GB of RAM (the default limit for a 32 bit application). If you didn't, the game would crash after an hour or two due to being out of memory from the massive amount of memory leaks. On top of that engine was a game which was also not tested or fleshed out as it should have been. It had all sorts of interesting little things and made for some decent procedural storytelling in the random maps, but gameplay was entirely unbalanced ("Let's see, I can spend all my money building an army... or easily make my leader and his children godlike warmages who can decimate any enemy army with ease."), AI was terrible, game bugs were manifesting alongside and in addition to engine bugs, and in general it seemed they had a bunch of ideas, but no overall design document as to how those ideas would be pulled together into a compelling and cohesive whole.

And yeah, tactics has always been one of the weakest points of the game. You have to do it though, as the RNG of skipping it will always be way worse than doing the tactics stuff.

In general, it's what a good game should look like 50% through development.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 29, 2012, 06:12:39 pm »

Fallen Enchantress (beta) is on Steam now.  Anyone played the newest version?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 29, 2012, 07:13:03 pm »

I haven't checked the latest updates but Fallen Enchantress is mediocre+ at least. Its biggest issue (imo) was bland tactical combat far more dependent on stats than tactics. There's just not enough useful pieces there (nor proper urban/siege environments) to make its combat interesting to me in the long-term and I found myself consistently using the same tactics/spells to achieve victory. My sovereigns alone could wipe out entire armies after level 15, sometimes with a single spell depending on build. I did however enjoy the customization options available.

That sounds almost to a T like Elemental.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 29, 2012, 09:23:32 pm »

It would be pretty funny if the consolation prize for having bought Elemental was yet another terrible game.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 29, 2012, 11:30:59 pm »

It would be pretty funny if the consolation prize for having bought Elemental was yet another terrible game.

I laugh, but then I remember that people actually paid for this game.  Paid a great deal.  So I feel slightly bad as I keep laughing.

I think the Pirate Sites should put this game on their front page as the poster child for why one should torrent a game before buying when the makers refuse to offer a free demo.

In all seriousness, I hope that Fallen Enchantress is at least good enough to make up for the purchase of Elemental.  The purchasers deserve at least that.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 30, 2012, 02:43:05 am »

On reflection, I'm gonna pick this up because of two main reasons.

1. They really seem to be going the extra mile to make up for E:WoM.  I'd quite like to support a company that behaves like this.

Quote from: Brad Wardell
If you don’t have War of Magic, skip it.

2. Kael's working on it.  Even if the game turns out to be utter shite I can justify the purchase because of the countless hours of enjoyment FfH2 has given me.  The dude definitely deserves some of my cash.

I'll report back on the current state of the game after I've had time to try it out properly.  Is it worth making a new thread?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 02:55:57 am by lordcooper »

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 30, 2012, 03:24:21 am »

Fallen Enchantress (beta) is on Steam now.  Anyone played the newest version?

is it standalone? will I miss something I I get it without WoM?

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: August 30, 2012, 03:35:17 am »

Yes, it's standalone. I still have mixed feelings about the game and there are bugs aplenty, but it is playable at least. The latest patch added a bunch to the city management side of the game and that area is close to release solid now. They plan to finish up with Beta 4 quickly and move into Beta 5 which will be dedicated to fixing bugs and polishing the game's existing features for release.
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 69