Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85526 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #810 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:21 pm »

Surely standalone insinuates that it, you know, stands alone?

As in it is either completely different to the original and does not require it, or it also contains the original?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm very annoying, so tell me to STFU if need be
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: January 13, 2011, 05:01:44 pm »

Okay, that's what I thought. Thanks for telling though.  :)

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: January 13, 2011, 05:03:18 pm »

Was Age of Wonders - Shadow Magic a stand alone expansion compared to Age of Wonders 2? Just to clarify.

It's counted as a complete sequel, I believe.

Surely standalone insinuates that it, you know, stands alone?

As in it is either completely different to the original and does not require it, or it also contains the original?

Standalone expansion means you can play it without the original but that some features (usually ones that were in the original but are not in the sequel) will not be open to you.

Have a look at the original Dawn of War for a good example. You could play ANY of the expansions with it's unique factions against other players with other expansions, but you couldn't play as those factions unless you had that expansion.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: January 13, 2011, 05:37:01 pm »

Farseer, AOW Shadow Magic is basically AOW 2, with 3 new races and a random map generator, and one new unit for all the old races. No change in graphical style, gameplay mechanics or any mention of it being a sequel, really.

Also, the DOW thing... How much would it cost to get the full kit for DOW 1? Soulstorm, Burning Crusade, Winter Assault and of course the base game... ~£80?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: January 13, 2011, 05:47:41 pm »

Dark Crusade :P

Anyway, it's about $50 US on steam. Get the Goldplatinum edition (29.99) and soulstorm (19.99).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Korbac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:31 pm »

Goddamnit Frumple!  :P

Wow, $50? That's far less than I thought. I guess everyone's gone to DOW II, though.  :-[

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: January 13, 2011, 06:49:08 pm »

Way easier to install SoulStorm and use some... utility to make it believe the other games are installed too (it doesn't actually read any data from them, just checks for the executable file). In fact, this utility pretty much creates dummy executables for the required games.

This is better even if you actually own the other games, since it takes much less space. You need the CD keys for them anyway, so there's no harm of them pirate stealers derking their jerbs. However, you won't be able to play the other games themselves, such as Dark Crusade's campaign, or Winter Assault's single player story.

I kinda like DC's campaign map better than SS. Also, some rules change between the games, such as certain units being limited to 1 or 2 per faction.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: January 13, 2011, 06:56:57 pm »

Dark Crusade :P

Anyway, it's about $50 US on steam. Get the Goldplatinum edition (29.99) and soulstorm (19.99).

Actually Impulse has it now for $25

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: January 13, 2011, 07:02:50 pm »

They do the horrible "Risk Domination" thing in Soulstorm/Dark Crusade... Which is horrible frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a "Risk Domination" done well.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: January 13, 2011, 07:23:46 pm »

They do the horrible "Risk Domination" thing in Soulstorm/Dark Crusade... Which is horrible frankly, I don't think I've ever seen a "Risk Domination" done well.

i kinda liked the risk style in Rise of Nation and the first battle for middle earth.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #820 on: January 13, 2011, 07:31:42 pm »

Some people like these types of games. Like me.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: January 13, 2011, 08:40:57 pm »

I like those types of campaigns too.

Frankly, though, Elemental was a huge waste of 50 dollars. Not as bad as Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising though. That shit is bad.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: January 13, 2011, 11:40:40 pm »

And it's a completely stand alone product. Fuck. This. Shit. The fact it's free to long time Elemental owners is more like a "sorry for all the fuck ups" then "here's the real game you paid and waited for."
Its 'stand-alone' only in terms of providing w/e left of original EWoM with it, so noone will have to buy EWoM to play EFE.
I dont get your annoyance, they are not making new game, nor they are abandoning Elemental. They just decided to re-brand it in order to clean off launch fiasco from it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: January 14, 2011, 12:01:43 pm »

My annoyance is that it's been 7 months, waiting for this game to stabilize. In concept, in details, in execution. And just when it seems like they've finally, finally gotten their shit together....Brad again decides things need to get "vastly shaken up." Which means possibly another 6 months of "did that work? No, ok, let's try something else."

From the beginning, it's felt like they didn't know exactly what they were doing with Elemental, and that's why it's the game it is now. It's been a learning experience. Which is fine. It's just at some point, you expect them to buckle down and really start doing things right...and instead it feels like the game is once again careening off into the unknown in terms of development. For anyone that's been with this game since release, that is not an encouraging prospect.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: January 14, 2011, 02:43:16 pm »

Well, except now Brad's not the one determining what gets in the game, he just okays other people's ideas. I think the fact that they've got Derek Paxton in there cleaning up the features list and guiding development has helped tremendously. Of course I don't actually KNOW this, but it's been my impression from what I've seen.

Also, when in doubt, check wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_pack#Stand-alone_expansion_packs
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 69