Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85616 times)

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #675 on: September 28, 2010, 11:17:49 am »

I wish I could buy it. I really do. D:

But I cannnnnn't!

Elven_ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/chabrik/
« Reply #676 on: September 28, 2010, 02:44:03 pm »

I just love Stardock games, GalCiv, SoSE those are great games and it seems apropriate to pay the price asked. But 50 bucks for beta, proudly called 1.08 version? It's not even funny. What was they thinking? I mean Stardock is developer and publisher, what possible reasons could drive them to release this chunk of a code and for that price?

Apparently, they have run out of cash. Brad denies that, but since they are firing people, doing maths isn't that difficult.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #677 on: September 28, 2010, 04:06:06 pm »

No one would notice if I was deleted...

:'(

I haven't played elemental since Civ came out. I really wish I would have asked for a refund and bought Master of Orion, Age of Wonders, and Star Ruler, since those are apparently on Impulse now. Anyone one of those games would have given me much more joy than WOM.
Why not ask now?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 28, 2010, 07:20:42 pm »

Apparently, they have run out of cash. Brad denies that, but since they are firing people, doing maths isn't that difficult.
They laid off second game studio, which didn't do anything yet anyway. I doubt that is related to any serious financial reasons, after all Brad still wastes monies trying to fix Elemental, and he said he increased staff numbers working on it. Sure these 80k sells did give him some cash back, but I doubt it covered even what he already invested, not to mention this post-release development. And they don't plan to sell expansions till 2011Q1, so they definitely have some reserves.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #679 on: September 28, 2010, 08:41:06 pm »

Its a good thing they are self-funded. This "We will support the game no matter how well it sells" line is a wonderful customer sentiment but will absolutely drive away investors.

It's like saying "We will shove your money in a big furnace and burn it to warm the homeless!"

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: November 18, 2010, 05:48:17 pm »

So they're rolling out the beginning of the massive 1.1 overhaul today. Here's the changelog:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going to go give it a look see.

And honestly, Re: Stardock and Brad firing people, for one, a lot of those people were hired to fill the demand on Elemental. Two, Brad was letting some people go for failing to live up to his and other's expectations. I think he walked away from Elemental assuming the team was going to deliver, and came back to find to Elemental in it's release state.....and figured some people needed to get their asses kicked.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #681 on: November 18, 2010, 07:03:06 pm »

Wow, its starting to sound like a completed game now. I might go buy it again when the price drops, and if people say it has improved.

muchenik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: November 18, 2010, 07:07:34 pm »

I am going to have to start playing again. I tried playing last week and couldn't even finish the game.
Close This Door
txeN ehT nepO

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: November 18, 2010, 07:26:15 pm »

The patch has been pushed back to tomorrow.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #684 on: November 18, 2010, 07:37:01 pm »

The patch has been pushed back to tomorrow.
I am disappoint!

Well not really, I got a refund, but still I was considering at least giving it another look.

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: November 19, 2010, 06:51:35 am »

yes, please do revisit the game w/ this massive patch and report back here.  I love the genre but was detered from buying given the negative feedback here.  Master of Monsters is still the best of its kind...3D is a false god.
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: November 19, 2010, 09:07:50 am »

I highly doubt a patch will be sufficient. However, a patch plus a few user mods might be. Anyone been keeping up with user mods?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: November 19, 2010, 12:15:19 pm »

Sort of. The game has the issue where, since you can mod in anything, people's mod packs tend to be a collection of....lots of crap. Tons of item mods, spell mods, race mods, ect....

In general I haven't gotten invested in the modding because so much in the core is going to change.

1.1 won't magically make the game 4 stars. It's mostly geared at a) Making building, running and specializing cities not lame, b) revamped magic system, and c) multi-threading for AI and better AI.

The big shift for the game, I think, will come after 1.1 and they actually start making content with 1.1 design philosophy in mind.

They have a long way to go still, though. Looking over their spell list, I can tell they're still partly in "stuff cotton in that mother fucker to bulk it up" mode. Not as bad as the release spells but....Master of Magic still feels like it has more thoughtful magic, and more magic that you actually want. The global mana pool should go a long way toward making even boring spells feel useful and important.....but something about those "+1 Prestige, +1 Gold...." enchantments still leaves me feeling underwhelmed.
« Reply #688 on: November 19, 2010, 02:29:43 pm »

Looking over those changelog notes makes me facepalm. The spells, at least.

That's not what you should be doing! Instead of "-20% off next building time", do something like "Next (or current) building is completed instantly." At the very least, don't include the percentages in the tooltip. Just do "gives a boost" instead.

The trouble with Elemental is design confusion. It wants to be Master of Magic and it wants to be Civ4 in a fantasy setting and it wants to be GalCiv in a fantasy setting and it wants to be this and it wants to be that and ad infinitum. Pick a concept and stick with it, damn it.
The Ashikaga Dynasty - A Europa Universalis 3 Let's Play - Sadly Cancelled Due To Bugs

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: November 19, 2010, 02:36:51 pm »

Master of Magic had a lot of "damn that's awesome" spells.  As a result, it was ridiculously unbalanced (like that spell that removes unhappiness from the city => max out taxes => a winner is you).  At least it sounds like they're TRYING to balance the game.  Whether they succeed, and whether that's even important, are both questionable...but that's one thing at least.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 69