Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85622 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #645 on: September 09, 2010, 08:14:24 pm »

Everyone here who's pissed off can easily just make a fantasy mod for Civ V. It's Lua too!

If it is anything like Fall From Heaven II I'll pass. Some people say it is the best Civ IV mod. I think they never played Rhyes and Fall of Civilization - it is even better than Civ IV itself.

About elemental, there are bugs all over the place, but in 1.07 I didn't crash all over the place. There are some serious balance issues too. I think the game right now feels a lot like DF 31.01.  :)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: September 09, 2010, 08:16:57 pm »

Calhoun, your computer specs are like a wet dream. xD Joking, of course.  From what I can tell there shouldn't be anything amiss.  Your computer is both better, and yet lesser than my own.

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit
4GBs DDR3 Triple-Channel RAM
Nvidia 8800GT 512MB Graphics
AMD Pheonon II x4 3.4Ghz

Nothing too outragous, I'm afraid.  But you may not have to wait and shelve it for a while.  The 1.08 patch has been delayed, but will be greater for it, I believe.  It should get most of that fixed up well and good.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: September 09, 2010, 09:47:48 pm »

Everyone here who's pissed off can easily just make a fantasy mod for Civ V. It's Lua too!

If it is anything like Fall From Heaven II I'll pass. Some people say it is the best Civ IV mod. I think they never played Rhyes and Fall of Civilization - it is even better than Civ IV itself.

About elemental, there are bugs all over the place, but in 1.07 I didn't crash all over the place. There are some serious balance issues too. I think the game right now feels a lot like DF 31.01.  :)
You think wrong. I think it's the best FANTASY mod. While Rhye's is just plain awesome and cool, but it's too unstable for multiplayer matches. To each his own :).

There're also other cool mods I helped to develop a bit, like DuneWars, Planetfall and a few others. I enjoy them as well. The romance of Three Kingdoms is very cool too. But there's no such mod with so many lore content behind it and different civilizations' playstiles as FFH2 :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #648 on: September 10, 2010, 06:35:54 am »

You think wrong. I think it's the best FANTASY mod. While Rhye's is just plain awesome and cool, but it's too unstable for multiplayer matches. To each his own :).

There're also other cool mods I helped to develop a bit, like DuneWars, Planetfall and a few others. I enjoy them as well. The romance of Three Kingdoms is very cool too. But there's no such mod with so many lore content behind it and different civilizations' playstiles as FFH2 :).

The problem is that FFH2 was made for a "shitty" game engine, but this is my personal opinion. [Shitty from a tactical perspective at least. No tactical combat, no damage and resistance types, RNG is way too important etc. - Take a look at dominions 3 . That game has the best combat system right now.]
..as for EWoM, it has it's problems now [magic/tact. combat must be polished a lot for example, the AI is bad now etc.], but it will be amongst the top3 fantasy TBS games within 1y...The basics of epicness is there, and that is what matters, because we all know, that the devs will vastly improve all parts of the game. I don't even want to talk about the awesome possibilites of modding. It takes no time to add a new building/tech/spell/creature etc. even now, and it's easy to do. Changing the AI/core mechanics will be possible as well via python coding, but it's not available yet.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: September 10, 2010, 08:04:52 am »

Civilization 5 promised to make combat more interesting, and it looks like that goal will actually be fulfilled. One unit per tile is huge.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: September 10, 2010, 08:33:47 am »

I've already modded XML to change Pioneer recruiting time and cost and to add some changes to weapons and armor . Most weapons and armors change attack speed now.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: September 10, 2010, 02:21:02 pm »

The problem is that FFH2 was made for a "shitty" game engine, but this is my personal opinion. [Shitty from a tactical perspective at least. No tactical combat, no damage and resistance types, RNG is way too important etc. - Take a look at dominions 3 . That game has the best combat system right now.]
..as for EWoM, it has it's problems now [magic/tact. combat must be polished a lot for example, the AI is bad now etc.], but it will be amongst the top3 fantasy TBS games within 1y...The basics of epicness is there, and that is what matters, because we all know, that the devs will vastly improve all parts of the game. I don't even want to talk about the awesome possibilites of modding. It takes no time to add a new building/tech/spell/creature etc. even now, and it's easy to do. Changing the AI/core mechanics will be possible as well via python coding, but it's not available yet.
Actually RNG is not that much imporatant in FFH2. There's a lot of improvements to the combat calculations, and there're clever moves, like your strongest units not always defend to save them (Lead from Behind component), but I agree that it took a LOT of work to do something with Civ4 basic RNG, which was plain crazy, and it's still not perfect. But it works good now, at least for competitive multiplayer matches :).

AI still sucks. WildMana has a bit better AI but it's still too weak to pose a threat on something below Immortal.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #652 on: September 17, 2010, 03:46:11 am »

Just finished getting a refund for this title from Impulse. Got full value as store credit, as I buy games from them pretty regularly

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: September 17, 2010, 08:09:01 pm »

Congrats.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #654 on: September 17, 2010, 08:10:20 pm »

Yeah, I tried to get into the game. I really did. I played it for a total of 17-18 hours I think. Maybe later on when its had proper patch support and the price drops I'll give it another go.

Wonder if Civ 5 will be on impulse, I could pick it up with the credit.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: September 17, 2010, 08:45:46 pm »

I was in the same situation and I doubt it will be for some time, possibly ever. Don't hold your breath. King's Bounty Platinum Pack is the best thing I can find on Impulse.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 08:51:33 pm by Lap »

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: September 17, 2010, 09:00:25 pm »

I was in the same situation and I doubt it will be for some time, possibly ever. Don't hold your breath. King's Bounty Platinum Pack is the best thing I can find on Impulse.

Civ 5 uses Steamworks, yes? Then it'll probably never be on Impulse. Forcing you to install a competitor's distribution platform and all. I know some of the digital platforms out there started carrying MW2 after a while, but that was the billion-dollar exception to the rule  :P
(and I could've sworn that Impulse was the one that never did start carrying MW2...?).

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #657 on: September 17, 2010, 09:12:33 pm »

It does, yes but I imagine they could just have you install steam along with the game.

I really don't know though, just hoping. :P

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: September 23, 2010, 10:12:52 am »

Brick+Morter stores carry Civilization V.  If Elemental was purchased there, then refund would be no problem.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: September 23, 2010, 03:23:58 pm »

(and I could've sworn that Impulse was the one that never did start carrying MW2...?).

Pretty sure Stardock couldn't afford the licensing it would cost to sell the game on Impulse.

On the Elemental front, reading some of Brad's recent updates, I get the impression he's slipping back into his old mode.

When you make an update post about your game and leave post scripts that undercut a ****ing 30 year old Nintendo game for not making sense, it's pretty obvious you're trying to make your own failings look as standard by comparison. Sometimes, I wonder about that guy. Does he not think before he posts? What the hell does 8 or 16-bit console video gaming have to do with Elemental? Congratulations, you got some inspiration from games everyone loved and was inspired by. No, you don't get nerd cred. Less talkie, more patchy.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 03:28:37 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 ... 69