Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85691 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #570 on: September 03, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why they're allowed to have a listed feature on the box that isn't actually in the gold edition of the game.
Box was likely designed and printed far in advance of the actual gold edition or release version.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: September 03, 2010, 01:03:34 pm »

For the same reasons many other games have done the same. Sometimes it's put off, sometimes it's cancelled (theoretically after boxes have gone into production), sometimes it's altered and the function's name's changed. People are still annoyed with Blizzard for a lack of features they promise on the various WoW boxes.

Edit: The game seems to be playing MUCH more smoothly for me. I'm on my less-than-good laptop and I can actually play it without having to use the cloth map!
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: September 03, 2010, 01:45:43 pm »

Awesome, now we're glad that it at least works :3.

And I have to wait other 5-10 hours to get an unofficial 1.07 :/.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: September 03, 2010, 02:16:30 pm »

Performance, large units regenerating properly, and the unit attack balance are they key note items in this patch. The rest...more filling in descriptions of resources and stuff, fairly minor thing.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: September 03, 2010, 02:18:24 pm »

Theres a definately noticable increase in performance here, played for about an hours with no crashes yet. Good job.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #575 on: September 03, 2010, 03:49:46 pm »

Theres a definately noticable increase in performance here, played for about an hours with no crashes yet. Good job.
While I agree that the patch is a great step forward, it says something about the game when we're praising it for not crashing after an hour or so.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: September 03, 2010, 05:08:32 pm »

I think they borked up combat mechanics. I have guys with less attack than my def, dealing more damage than their attack value. Yet some how none of my guys manage to do full damage. Ever. Even again zero defense monsters.

Monsters basically seem to be unremovable now. I mowed through 4 of the EXACT same bandit in four turns. He just kept re popping in the forest I was traveling through.

AI still builds daisy chains of fucking cities. God I hate that. Way to completely kill the pace of the game and turn it into a land grab. I'm only playing games where I'm in the middle of nowhere, tired of having the AI build walls around me by turn 40.

Even though I downgraded graphics cards since the last version, I feel like this game has actually started running worse for me. Either that or it's always run terrible, and a strong graphics card hit most of it.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: September 03, 2010, 06:54:46 pm »

Ah, playing along and I just finished making my new super expensive medic unit. When I noticed something rather funny about his picture.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: September 04, 2010, 01:54:09 am »

Sad news for some Stardock employees: they're now jobless. Looks like Brad fired a few people laid some people off over the game's launch.

Source: http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/65443

Frogboy confirming it: http://forums.elementalgame.com/395168

Pretty dramatic stuff. I feel bad for those that lost their jobs.  :(

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: September 04, 2010, 02:01:09 am »

Sad for the people, not really a huge shock - release a product poorly, suffer financially, that's the core of the Capitalist system after all. Hopefully things can start changing there over the next year or so before they dive into another game project? I feel they should hire a couple of their harshest critics as advisors :P

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #580 on: September 04, 2010, 03:00:39 am »

Sad for the people, not really a huge shock - release a product poorly, suffer financially, that's the core of the Capitalist system after all. Hopefully things can start changing there over the next year or so before they dive into another game project? I feel they should hire a couple of their harshest critics as advisors :P
Brad made it very clear that game development is not one of Stardock's major revenue streams, so why would a bad launch necessitate laying people off?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: September 04, 2010, 04:32:57 am »

Brad made it very clear that game development is not one of Stardock's major revenue streams, so why would a bad launch necessitate laying people off?
Not to mention it was his fault that launch was so bad.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: September 04, 2010, 04:45:13 am »

I got the feeling he was going to kick someone's ass when get got back to Stardock, his set of apology posts implied it.

I think it's a dick move, personally. They're saying it's financially related but I dunno. Perhaps their projections were as delusional as their opinion of the game. Poor guys, that's like being kicked down, then kicked while you're down.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 04:47:50 am by nenjin »

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: September 04, 2010, 04:57:15 am »

Gamespot gave it 4.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned here yet but here it goes. Its about that Neoseeker review that gave 9. Lookie here and look for reply #9 and #10. That explains why it scored so high. That guy didn't even play the game.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: September 04, 2010, 06:25:28 am »

I'm reading this as "we hired people for this project, and if it did as well as we hoped, we would keep them around for our next big project".  Probably the people who were laid off knew that their contracts would be an unknown variable.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 69