Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85702 times)

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #555 on: September 02, 2010, 09:42:30 am »

After playing this game, I bought Dominions 3 :P
 I've played it before...back in 'those' days...but I've changed :D

We should play a Dom3 multiplayer match sometimes ^^

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: September 02, 2010, 04:09:25 pm »

We should play a Dom3 multiplayer match sometimes ^^
There's a new game being started right now* in the PWYB subforum. You should sign up.

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: September 02, 2010, 04:47:58 pm »

Watch Brad apologize and shuffle his feet: http://forums.elementalgame.com/394855/page/2/#2753014

Watch Stardock delay multiplayer (an on-the-box feature) a bit longer: http://forums.elementalgame.com/394652

Putting the above posts in spoilers via copypasta in case they mysteriously vanish:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:50:02 pm by SeaBee »

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: September 02, 2010, 05:01:46 pm »

Wow.  Props.  They came right out and said that WAY earlier than the postmortem phase, which is pretty cool.

respect++

On the other hand, this had better not turn into one of those anger-apology-anger-apology relationships.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: September 02, 2010, 05:45:38 pm »

Now THAT is a mea culpa.

I can almost hear the shredding of fan boy minds and souls over on the Elemental forums.

Now that they've come to terms with reality, they can start actually making the game they envisioned. I'm quite disturbed that they honestly though 1.0 was ready. It's good they can admit to that yes, but....that's sheer blindness and a total disconnect between people developing the game and the experience of the gamer. That is the worst flaw you can have as a developer.

Brad's lucky SD is a self-publisher. What he just did there is pretty much verboten elsewhere in the game industry.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:09 pm »

Watch Brad apologize and shuffle his feet: http://forums.elementalgame.com/394855/page/2/#2753014

Watch Stardock delay multiplayer (an on-the-box feature) a bit longer: http://forums.elementalgame.com/394652

Putting the above posts in spoilers via copypasta in case they mysteriously vanish:

This is just really odd.  I mean, how can you be that blind?  It takes a person only a few minutes of play-time to feel like something is terribly wrong.  It may not be apparent as to what that is, but the level of polish just feels so far below anything else that gets released these days it's difficult to not see it.

I wonder if Brad doesn't just have a case of Peter Molyneux syndrome and he hasn't realized it.  That's what I've been seeing out of this whole debacle.  It's suprising it took him over a week to finally admit he had a problem.

On a kinder note, I have been enjoying the game a little more now that I have set my expectations lower.  The role-playing elements are quite fun.  I like that I can have my own character involved in all the events of the game, it does feel a lot more intimate that way.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: September 02, 2010, 06:42:07 pm »

There's also this in the same thread as the first post, where Brad goes on some more about it.
http://forums.elementalgame.com/394855/page/4/#2753375

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: September 02, 2010, 06:51:49 pm »

I actually understand him too but it's a dangerous business, making something which costs money. :) I hope he doesn't give up and continue.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: September 02, 2010, 06:59:23 pm »

Well he's put up with almost 2 weeks of undiluted flak from everyone, from his fans to reviewers to his friends to (I'm sure) even his own employees. If he were going to have an emo melt down, he probably would have done it by now.

This stuff is like a pendulum. Swaying back and forth between the extremes of "we got it right" and "tear it down! it's wrong, all wrong!" We'll see if they're stable enough to keep the pendulum in the middle where it needs to be.

Although man, I still can't get over the sheer hubris and lack of attention to the GAME that made them miss it. I don't want to call them lazy or unprofessional...but damn, did no one even sit down for 2 hours with the 1.0 version? They need to fix that oversight, or the next year will be the same misdirected or unguided development as before. They have to approach the next year as creating a cohesive product, and not just getting the systems to work right. There's a lot of work toward that already, some stuff is really clean. But from a flavor and mechanics standpoint, the game needs to pull it all together. 
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: September 03, 2010, 06:42:45 am »

Its heading that way.  The massive list of bug-fixes and changes to the game with the 1.07 patch is almost inspirational. @.@''
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: September 03, 2010, 08:05:45 am »

Its heading that way.  The massive list of bug-fixes and changes to the game with the 1.07 patch is almost inspirational. @.@''
Which is out now

Journal
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 08:16:01 am by Granite26 »

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: September 03, 2010, 10:17:51 am »

awesome i can finally run the game at a playable run frameout without sticking to cloth map mode forever.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: September 03, 2010, 11:47:12 am »

As much as I'd like to believe in Stardock, this is following the Demigod pattern almost exactly.

Release a broken game
Deny broken status
Forum Nazi mode
Realize your game is broken appologize   <---- You are here
Release patches, post as CEO
Get bitched at by community
Go emo on the forums
(repeate above steps 3 times)
Give up

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #568 on: September 03, 2010, 11:48:55 am »

Well gonna give Elemental another run today and see if the patches have improved it to a usable state at least.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: September 03, 2010, 12:14:41 pm »

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding why they're allowed to have a listed feature on the box that isn't actually in the gold edition of the game.
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 69