Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85709 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #540 on: August 31, 2010, 03:31:10 pm »

Wait, so are they saying we'll have to pay for them after 1 year?
Paid DLC is nothing new these days. All the big guys are doing it, why should SD miss all that fun?

All the big guys? *cough Team Fortress 2 cough*
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: September 01, 2010, 01:00:31 pm »

http://forums.elementalgame.com/394530

Stardock's (first?) Master Issues list. Too long to link and it would break formatting to do so, so just go read it.

They've gotten about 80% of the issues there, and all the keynote ones are mentioned. Lots of player suggestions too for new/different mechanics. I don't know if I agree with them...(forging new items? Yeah, no, not the time for that.) but most seem pretty solid.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:10:09 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: September 01, 2010, 03:52:21 pm »

Well this game is a tragedy. Especially the AI, since they have experience with very goooood AI (galciv 2). It's more like alpha and I was dissapointed by just a 1 mission in campaign. And they are going to release 2nd mission as a paid dlc. What's wrong with commercial games developers those days? Oh and next one is Victoria 2 bugtrap with no single patch since release.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: September 01, 2010, 04:16:36 pm »

GalCiv 2's AI was good?  No, it was laughable.  They fell victim to really fast strikes on their planets because they didn't think to defend against them--ever, and when the player gets far FAR ahead of all other civilizations through entirely peaceful tech-trading and war profiteering, they don't wise up and go "Hey wait, maybe WE should all join forces into a peaceful coalition to defend ourselves against that guy".

Maybe I just lucked into finding good strategies, but I was very disappointed by GalCiv 2's AI.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: September 01, 2010, 04:19:07 pm »

Yeah, I wasn't overly impressed by GalCiv's AI either. It focused inordinately on single maxed out planets and didn't expand in meaningful or defensible ways. Cripple or capture the best planet at the heart of their empire, and the AI goes into a death spiral.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #545 on: September 01, 2010, 04:29:45 pm »

I was disappointed by GalCiv2 in general. For a single player game to have such a laughably bad AI is inexcusable.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: September 01, 2010, 05:40:20 pm »

I didn't like GalCiv2 at all, but mostly because it was just an eyecandy while I prefer strategies like Space Empires V and Master Of Orion 2.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: September 01, 2010, 05:44:50 pm »

It was comparable to MoO 2, it just lacked the tactical battles, and was more watered down in terms of flavor and options. I think the tact combat and ship design really made MoO 2, without them it's pretty standard 4x fare.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #548 on: September 01, 2010, 06:07:36 pm »

It was comparable to MoO 2, it just lacked the tactical battles, and was more watered down in terms of flavor and options. I think the tact combat and ship design really made MoO 2, without them it's pretty standard 4x fare.
That and the game's general attitude. Really made you wanna get out there and explore space.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: September 01, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »

I didn't like GalCiv2 at all, but mostly because it was just an eyecandy while I prefer strategies like Space Empires V and Master Of Orion 2.
SE4 is totally better than SE5. I didn't finish even single game out of those I started in 5.
They have some nice ideas in SE5, but following this 3D bandwagon was real mistake on Malfador's part.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: September 01, 2010, 06:54:43 pm »

So I'm curious.  If someone was going to make an updated MoM game...not a sequel, maybe like a half-sequel, or kind of...the Madden 2010 to MoM's Madden 1995 or whatever...what WOULD you change exactly?  Is there anything that Elemental actually did right, that is better than MoM and worth including?  It sounds like the Alpha Centauri style unit customization is kind of cool if done correctly...but, I dunno.

Modding support is a given...but anything else, in terms of the base game?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #551 on: September 01, 2010, 06:56:53 pm »

I'd replace the city building with something better/more modern. I really hate manually building the same set of buildings in each city every time I create/conquer one.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: September 01, 2010, 07:01:31 pm »

I liked MoM's sort of global approach to magic. SD is now thinking the same thing, with a shared mana pool coming as a change to the game. But it doesn't have the spirit of MoM's really getting into the dynamics of being a powerful wizard.

So I'd want a game like that to really think about magic as a universal power source of unbelievable magnitude. MoM kind of captured that by extension; cities produce juice, you manage how the juice gets distributed between all these various magical activities (enchantment maintenance being one important one...how classical is that, that maintaining spells is draining to a wizard? Elemental uses "slots". BORING.)

So I want to see it go further than that. Let us overdraw magic, manipulate the flow, manage a dynamic resource that has tons of inputs.

That'd be it. Elemental got completely sidetracked from its title by all the 4x things. They're cool, but that's not unexplored territory for them or anyone else. I don't want more city management. I want magic like someone actually cared about it. MoM defines the standard for what we kind of expect in these games for magic to at least be capable of. I wanna see someone take it to the next level.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: September 01, 2010, 07:09:10 pm »

Wow, people who don't think much of the GalCiv AI!  I thought I was nearly alone in that.  It's the major reason I added Stardock to my list of "companies I will never buy from again".  It was incredibly frustrating to have it be touted as highly as it was, and then find it behaving strategically like something out of Civ 1.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #554 on: September 01, 2010, 07:10:46 pm »

I liked how Dominions 3 had global enchantment slots which applied to EVERYONE. There could only be x global enchantments and if you cast another while it was full, it either knocked a lower-powered one off the list or it failed if it was too low to overpower any of the current enchantments.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 69