Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85721 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #495 on: August 29, 2010, 08:46:21 pm »

I hope not, Nenjin.  While I can't stand bashers or trolls that don't know what they are talking about or never played the game, you've been consistantly honest and upfront with everything, good and bad.  That's the sort of reviewer all games need, instead of 'oh yes, this is so good, this feature rocks, and so does this, and lets not forget this!' stuff that goes along.  I can't count myself as a fanboy, cause I believe the game does and still has issues and problems, but I'm a strong believer in that they can be fixed, either with the (admittedly) cool modding systems that are intigrated for the community, or by the dev team themselves. *Nod nods*
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 30, 2010, 03:51:09 am »

I wasn't in beta, so I can't comment on the environment back then
That's the problem of most people. This june I was only able to walk my character around and do nothing. I was really surprised when I saw a release date. I thought this game would take 2-3 more years to be complete. Well, good luck to Frogboy, I hope he doesn't lose his current working speed.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Mr. Boh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: August 30, 2010, 05:50:10 am »

The moderation of the official forums is crazy. The other day I refreshed, saw a new thread called "Kinda disappointed", went to click on it and found it had been deleted. The only thing left is rabid defenders. I was on the fence about this game but thankfully people are talking about this elsewhere. People over there need to stay away from the Kool-Aid.

Hopefully the game will be finished in a few months (and will likely be a bit cheaper). Thanks for the warning guys.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: August 30, 2010, 08:27:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It had 12 HP.

I died.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:59 am »

Of course you did. It had over 100 defense and enough attack to 1 shot all of your units.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: August 30, 2010, 09:49:37 am »

6/22 mana. Haha. You've got to be kidding me.

Without freezing spells and powerful archers don't try to attack such strong foes.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: August 30, 2010, 10:03:08 am »

I gave up with archers. I researched the crap out of the War tree and never found anything greater than Cedar Longbow tech. They miss 90% of the time, and when they do hit, they do 1-2 damage when my melee units are doing 70+ each.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: August 30, 2010, 10:25:41 am »

Yeah they are only good in combination with freezing spells to avoid retaliation.

1-2 damage? Are you sure they have enough strength?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: August 30, 2010, 11:28:44 am »

That's odd, Moogie.  My archer units (total 4), with Cedar Longbows do over 50 damage per attack. >.>' I think somethings wrong with that.  That's just with light plate armor, sight rings (2 a piece), and that +2 armor token.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: August 30, 2010, 12:17:25 pm »

I'm noticing that a lot of the people reviewing Elemental are mentioning how the disappointment has caused them to want to go fire up another fantasy TBS.  It's kind of sad, but I think they are doing a favor for other publishers and digital distribution sites at the expense of Stardock.  People have gotten in the mood for a fantasy TBS that is actually fun like Age of Wonders, Dominions, MoM or some other TBS because of the disappointment.

I know for myself that I have been holding off really getting into playing Age of Wonders and King's Bounty because I wanted to see how Elemental would turn out first.  I thought it would scratch the itch, but it didn't.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: August 30, 2010, 12:21:09 pm »

Brad's posted a bit of a guide to what's going to happen over the next few months is up. He mentions feedback has lead them to integrate stuff they had planned for expansion packs in the future into free updates, and then 1.1 will be out in September with a lot of users suggestions and feedback.

He's also tried to get back on-message with his principals, probably finally got himself enough sleep to look at the big picture:

"To those reviewing the game: I would urge you to review the game prior to v1.1. I say this because v1.05 (the release day version) is the version of the game that was originally released and if that version of the game is considered flawed then my view is that Stardock should suffer the consequences for that. We appreciate the kindness and patience many people have shown.  I just think game studios, including Stardock, need to be conscious of what they release and not expect to "patch themselves out of trouble"."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: August 30, 2010, 01:31:19 pm »

Yeah, I linked all that last page :P

Really, I'm just kind of embarrassed by his all-smiles attempt to make us forget how much of an ass he's been, and how he literally decided he wanted to make money no matter how unprepared his game was. I got a lot of respect for the Stardock devs, but Brad is squandering my respect as fast as he's able to get it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: August 30, 2010, 02:28:52 pm »

That's odd, Moogie.  My archer units (total 4), with Cedar Longbows do over 50 damage per attack. >.>' I think somethings wrong with that.  That's just with light plate armor, sight rings (2 a piece), and that +2 armor token.

Hmm, I don't know. The game auto-created about six different Archer versions. I always went with the latest/strongest ones. I wouldn't be suprised if it was just bugged. In fact, I expect it by now. :P

I was looking through the official support forums earlier and discovered I have been wasting my time building Construction Yards, because they don't infact give a 20% production time reduction. Apparently that was removed before release, and now they just produce extra materials.

Nothing in this game makes sense! Tiny dragon babies with 4600 combat rating, archers stuck with crappy bows for their entire careers, tooltips everywhere displaying outdated (or just plain false) information, support buildings not actually supporting stuff...

It does seem that people have started making unofficial patch mods, though. That should help a bit.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: August 30, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 03:46:19 pm by Nilocy »

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: August 30, 2010, 04:13:55 pm »

Wait, so are they saying we'll have to pay for them after 1 year?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 69