Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85716 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #465 on: August 28, 2010, 01:10:43 pm »

Hows it silly? People when starting cities IRL didn't know about every single resource EVERYWHERE when they set out to start new villages, it adds some strategy to where to place cities. Do you spend time researching to find new resources so you can plan it out better or do you just go ahead and hope for the best.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: August 28, 2010, 01:44:19 pm »

Them spending so much time on modding tools and such annoys people like me who couldn't give a rat's ass what mod some random guy cooks up and just wants to play a fun game.
On a different note, it's the main thing I want from this game :P. I already know that I won't be playing it much, but I will mod it to death.

I am not really interested in the game content, the tools is all that we need. Give them some time to patch it and you will get hundreds of awesome mods which are 100% better than the game. They do it intentionally and they are right. Many bad games like Oblivion of Fallout 3 or games which become boring with time like Civilization 4 were greatly improved by new mods which turn them into new games.

Hows it silly? People when starting cities IRL didn't know about every single resource EVERYWHERE when they set out to start new villages, it adds some strategy to where to place cities. Do you spend time researching to find new resources so you can plan it out better or do you just go ahead and hope for the best.
Yeah, it's the way they do it in most strategy games, take for example Civ4.

If you don't like that, mod that out :D.

If I was a beta-tester and this game wasn't released yet, I would report the bug.

But I was expected to buy this product. So like... yeeahhh. I just don't feel like it's my job to go out of my way and do that. I'd be pissed if I'd spent any money on it.
Sadly it still looks like an early beta. It's an "anti-piracy policy of Stardock" or something like that. But I think they just wanted money earlier :P.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 01:52:43 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: August 28, 2010, 02:04:17 pm »

It's silly given how the game is balanced at the moment. It's silly because after 20 shards, who gives a shit about about getting another one? It's silly considering light frickin shoots out of them when they're built on, and they're giant glowing crystal deposits before you do. It's silly that rarest, dying resource in the world next to food starts growing of its own accord without any explanation.

I'm ok with the fact new resources appear. I'm not ok with the fact there's so many that they're no longer unique, rare or exceptionally valuable. I'd have gone to war with another empire if I saw they had a cluster of 4 shards by one city. Mid to late game? There's at least 4 spots in the world they don't have a prayer of getting to that I could find that. And I don't even need them.

Boring, poorly balanced mechanic is boring.

It's an "anti-piracy policy of Stardock" or something like that. But I think they just wanted money earlier

The downside of pirating Stardock games at release is you'll have to wait for a new crack as they crank out 32 patches. GalCiv2 was my first Stardock game, and I pirated that long after it came out. They just need to pipe down about piracy in general. If your thing works, let it work. Don't use it as fuel for putting your foot in your mouth.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 02:07:42 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: August 28, 2010, 02:09:17 pm »

It's an "anti-piracy policy of Stardock" or something like that. But I think they just wanted money earlier

The downside of pirating Stardock games at release is you'll have to wait for a new crack as they crank out 32 patches. GalCiv2 was my first Stardock game, and I pirated that long after it came out. They just need to pipe down about piracy in general. If your thing works, let it work. Don't use it as fuel for putting your foot in your mouth.
Warez group Skidrow has been releasing patches of this game within a day of release since launch and have no sign of slowing.

Not that I pirated or anything like that. Would be immoral and stuff. No, never, not me!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: August 28, 2010, 02:13:27 pm »

Well, Skidrow is awesome. Hadn't checked the torrent scene since I committed to giving them some money this time around. I wasn't sure if the big ones were going to get invested in Elemental.

Like I said, Stardock just needs to pipe down about priacy. :P I'm sure Skidrow committed just because of Brad's ridiculous release day comment.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: August 28, 2010, 02:46:49 pm »

The downside of pirating Stardock games at release is you'll have to wait for a new crack as they crank out 32 patches.
What is the last patch? I've just spent 15 min to get 1.06 version :P. If anybody needs 1.06 patch for Skidrow, contact me. I won't put any links here because it's not polite.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: August 28, 2010, 02:47:38 pm »

1.06 is the latest I believe.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: August 28, 2010, 02:51:19 pm »

Well, then it means that all their talk about "anti piracy" is a shit :(. They just hurried to release pre-ordered copies. Corsairs 3 had the same problem (but at least they were called 0,99b... the official release, lol).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: August 28, 2010, 02:55:56 pm »

Anyone seen or heard a review on Brad Wardell's Elemental book? Read some excerpts that ... well.  :-X

http://www.unamommer.com/?p=109

Is that real? Can anyone confirm that the writing is this terrible?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: August 28, 2010, 03:05:54 pm »

Well, I can confirm much of the writing in the game is his, and THAT stuff is terrible.

I can't even bring myself to find out what people are thinking about his fiction. I'm feeling burned, but not so burned that I want to watch people roundly tell him he only has the faintest idea of how to write fiction.

It's got all the issues of first time writing. Half of it is written in present tense (gag) and then it switches to past tense. There's very little consistency, even in the vignettes for the game. He's also trying to write Ye Olde Speake without the Ye's and the Thou's. So all the dialog is stilted, to say the least. What's funny is some of the in-character previews were more fun and more interesting to follow than what's presented in the game. He really shouldn't have taken it all so seriously.

What gets me is that no one at Random thought the same. More likely they thought, regardless of how bad the book is, the game will sell and so eventually will the book.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 03:09:46 pm by nenjin »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #475 on: August 28, 2010, 03:46:35 pm »

Wait, did the game come with a book or something? Or was that a bonus for a collector's edition?

Or did he really publish some half-assed novelization of a crappy game?

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: August 28, 2010, 03:55:52 pm »

Or did he really publish some half-assed novelization of a crappy game?
This one.

------------------------------------

"The dress is actually my favorite character in the book. A few short pages later she is accosted by bad guys and they have a conversation about the dress. Her thoughts reveal to us the backstory and political importance of the dress. After she is rescued from the bad guys by the clever orphan boy she has a crush on and a handsome knight, she flings herself into her father’s arms while sobbing and he stops to notice the dress before noticing the knife wound on her neck. That’s how badass the dress is. Later in the story other dresses get introduced. The author even makes the mistake of trying to make them more attractive than the dress."

"Silk or something can never stand up to the awesomeness of the dress and shame on the author for trying to steal its spotlight."

I lol'd. Thanks for link SeaBee.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #477 on: August 28, 2010, 04:02:02 pm »

Holy crap I just read that too.

What the hell? I write better than this, and I am about as amateur as I thought you could get. I looked at those samples taken from random pages and I cringed... like in real life, I cringed from the monitor. That is bad.

And what did he do, use the game's random name generator for every character? Queen Magesta? Uthirmancer? That's someone's name? Uthirmancer? What the fuck. It sounds like a profession, not a name. It would be like if you were named Sculptor Jones. Blacksmith Hawkins. Wainwright Smith.

Ugh...
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:23:25 pm by forsaken1111 »

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: August 28, 2010, 04:02:38 pm »

I'm a bit late to this, but...

How exactly is releasing a buggy unfinished game an anti-piracy policy? That sounds backwards to me. Can someone explain how that's supposed to work?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #479 on: August 28, 2010, 04:03:16 pm »

Maybe demand will be so low that nobody will bother pirating it?
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 69