Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85722 times)

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #450 on: August 27, 2010, 08:25:40 pm »

I'm having fun now, but not really by the merits of the game's features... its bugs are far more numerous and entertaining. :)

Why yes! I'd simply love to trade you 1 Gold piece for all of the resources in your kingdom, plus I really think you should go to war with that one guy while I sit back and watch you get decimated by them.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It's a magic Gold piece. It's very valuable, obviously.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 08:27:54 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: August 27, 2010, 10:29:52 pm »

You know those Bands of Eagle Eye, or whatever? The +1 Sight rings that cost 10 gold?

Some guy got bored and decided to see how many of those it takes to reveal the whole map, since there's no cap on item use atm.

176. For 1,760 Gildar, you can have the entire map revealed to you through one character.

It's stuff like that, that makes it hard to call this a quality release with a straight face. :P
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: August 28, 2010, 01:02:50 am »

OMG.  LMAO.  Now that is funny, Nenjin.  I wonder how big his map was, Large, perhaps? I've been debating on making a custom map size for myself, sense even with Large maps, it still feels a little too crowded with too much water. *Nod nods* Anyway, that is funny, and I think its cool when you can just buy loads and loads of those to review the entire map. Haha.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 28, 2010, 01:52:35 am »

I'm having fun now, but not really by the merits of the game's features... its bugs are far more numerous and entertaining. :)

Why yes! I'd simply love to trade you 1 Gold piece for all of the resources in your kingdom, plus I really think you should go to war with that one guy while I sit back and watch you get decimated by them.

That is entertaining, from someone who hasn't played the game and might never get to; how do you manage it?
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 28, 2010, 06:34:30 am »

You'll get to, one way or another, Nivm.  Like most 'new' games, it wasn't exactly up-to-spec, but like everything that Stardock does, they're quick on the upkeep, and their fantastic extended support for their games means you'll get the chance to get it and play it (probably with alot of cool/updated/new features or content).  The game is quite fun now, and I love all of the little things like customization and whatnot, myself.  Its also fun to smash an army with a combat rating of over 2000 with just yourself and a dragon! XD Flames, ahoy!

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 28, 2010, 07:47:54 am »

You'll get to, one way or another, Nivm.  Like most 'new' games, it wasn't exactly up-to-spec, but like everything that Stardock does, they're quick on the upkeep, and their fantastic extended support for their games means you'll get the chance to get it and play it (probably with alot of cool/updated/new features or content).  The game is quite fun now, and I love all of the little things like customization and whatnot, myself.  Its also fun to smash an army with a combat rating of over 2000 with just yourself and a dragon! XD Flames, ahoy!

I thought the only other game of note stardock had developed was galciv2? Loads of people are acting like they have a huge track record of post-release support... Am I missing something? :S

Also: most new games are up-to-spec at release. That's why people expect them to work out of the box, and why theres been such a huge uproar about the state of elemental at release.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 28, 2010, 07:56:13 am »

When is the only time you ever check a support forum? When something doesn't work.  Sadly, for every one it works flawlessly/decently for, there are still more that it doesn't work for.  Alot of new games have almost no post-release support, as sad as it is to say. What? One or two patches within three months of launch before a major company moves to a new game/system? Its bullshit.

I actually bought Galactic Civilizations 2, and all of the expansions for it, and they are still doing good keeping it up to date and working.  Not many other companies can claim the same.  The only one I know that rivals that is Blizzard, but they're so focused on their online systems that it almost doesn't count.  :'(

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 28, 2010, 11:42:07 am »

That is entertaining, from someone who hasn't played the game and might never get to; how do you manage it?

After I conquered this guy's city, he ended up with -8000 or so gold. The game apparently doesn't expect you to trade with someone whose finances are in the negatives. Any attempt to specify an amount of gold from him results in one of those amusing buffer overflow errors and shoots the number into the negative billions. After some playing around, I discovered that I can put 1 item for trade, versus his massive -wealth, and then remove my item, and then remove his -wealth. Doing it in this specific order, his "perceived wealth" will remain in the window, and then I can load up all of his available goods for sale, and they don't even make a dent in that number. And, because the game sees that number as essentially "1", I can just trade 1 gold and he's happy to take it. Yup, the game actually allows this transaction and I pretty much bankrupted him in one turn.

By the way, if you do it in the wrong order, you can actually end up giving him a positive wealth of hundreds of billions. I learned that first.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 11:44:55 am by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #458 on: August 28, 2010, 11:43:24 am »

Did you report that bug?

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 28, 2010, 11:45:15 am »

I didn't buy the game, so no.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #460 on: August 28, 2010, 11:46:55 am »

Hm, well if I cared enough I would do it.

After seeing how they handled controversy and nuked their own forums, not to mention their CEO getting into an online shouting match, I have pretty much lost any faith in Stardock and won't be buying anything from them or impulse pretty much ever again.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 28, 2010, 11:50:17 am »

If I was a beta-tester and this game wasn't released yet, I would report the bug.

But I was expected to buy this product. So like... yeeahhh. I just don't feel like it's my job to go out of my way and do that. I'd be pissed if I'd spent any money on it.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 28, 2010, 12:01:33 pm »

When is the only time you ever check a support forum? When something doesn't work.  Sadly, for every one it works flawlessly/decently for, there are still more that it doesn't work for.  Alot of new games have almost no post-release support, as sad as it is to say. What? One or two patches within three months of launch before a major company moves to a new game/system? Its bullshit.

I actually bought Galactic Civilizations 2, and all of the expansions for it, and they are still doing good keeping it up to date and working.  Not many other companies can claim the same.  The only one I know that rivals that is Blizzard, but they're so focused on their online systems that it almost doesn't count.  :'(

Yes, some new games have no post-release support. But the vast majority of games released actually work out the box as advertised. Most game publishers/devs don't release broken, unfinshed, buggy messes and then fix it after people have paid for them. THAT is bullshit. Stardock can afford to keep updating galciv 2 because it's the only game they support (AFAIK, I could be wrong?).

Most other studios have to move on to their next project. How many patches do you want for each game you buy? Continued support for years would mean either each successive game by the company would cost more and more, or that they would never develop another game again. They get around this problem by releasing a finished game, and then just patching anything unforseen that pops up afterwards. It's not always perfect, but thats how the buisness goes. Calling it bullshit is short-sighted to say the least.

See, gal civ 2 is the only real example people have for stardock supporting a game post-release. A track record of one isn't very impressive. A company like valve, which still updates its rather large back-catalogue of games is a much better example, but even then you can't assume that just because they've done it in the past it will continue that way forever. It's also worth noting that valve gets much of its income from steam, and thus can afford to keep patching TF2, counterstrike, etc.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 28, 2010, 12:03:07 pm »

I really don't see the issue here, the game is still extremely playable. Quite fun too, theres a few bugs sure, but they've fixed the most major of ones. It autosaves every 5 minutes, so you won't lose that much progress if you get that pesky out of memory bug.

Currently I have a peninsula thats slowly being civilised by me, murdering all them monsters. I have 3 air shards under my belt after exploring around the continant on a boat. And my capital is the best capital in the world, producing around 45g/turn. I just researched schools... so apparently for years my civilisation has gone from peasant to academic with no training or education at all : D

@fenrif, stardock also supported SoaSE as well.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 28, 2010, 12:19:56 pm »

They need to dial back the growth of resources. I think I have something like 12 shards, and there are clusters on the map with 4 and 5 shards. It's kind of silly to put all this planning into where you drop your cities, then a few turns later, oh, there's a whole bunch of new shit I didn't plan for.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 69