Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85682 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #405 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:44 am »

Nope, still just takes me to "glorified moving concept art" mode. Does that even happen if the game is working properly? Is it supposed to be a loading screen? There is absolutely no on-screen notification or loading bar, so for all I know it could just be taking ages to initialize. :/
Ya, I think that's the loading screen if you are talking about the one I think you are talking about.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 26, 2010, 11:02:11 am »

Mmmf... I left it for a pretty long time just in case, but no result. I tried both Small and Large map settings.

I guess I'll try reinstalling and applying the other patches first.

Doesn't help that I'm developing a headache right now, either. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 26, 2010, 12:18:15 pm »

Definately apply all patches before playing. The game simply won't run in most cases without them.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 26, 2010, 03:17:07 pm »

Got it working. Since I have virtually no prior knowledge about the game and its features, I'm somewhat enjoying unlocking technologies and experimenting with building random things to see what they do.

I started a game with 4 opponents on Normal difficulty. On Turn 4, one of them was eliminated (by monsters, I think). By about Turn 200, the King of another kingdom settled a village near my capital, so I attacked it and killed him. Apparently that was his only city, so I'm down to 2 opponents now. I've barely explored my surroundings yet. xP

It feels kinda... hmm, I don't know. It's not exactly boring, but it feels lifeless. I haven't been attacked yet and nothing particularly interesting is happening. Maybe I should try a smaller map.

I've figured most things out for myself, but I just need to ask one thing... how exactly do you move the camera around, without doing the 'Zoom Dance'? I figured the arrow keys or WASD were pretty standard camera controls, but apparently not in this game.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:19:27 pm by Moogie »
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 26, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Moogie, to move the camera around, just left click on the main map and drag. XD Works the same in tactical combat, too. lol.  As for you guys that have updated only to find that you're getting white/black or frozen load screens, make sure the patch is installed into your stardock entertainment\elemental war of magic dir!  The auto-installer for those patches miss it in over 50% of people that install the darn things, causing loading problems or crashing near instantly.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 26, 2010, 06:59:13 pm »

Got it working. Since I have virtually no prior knowledge about the game and its features, I'm somewhat enjoying unlocking technologies and experimenting with building random things to see what they do.

I started a game with 4 opponents on Normal difficulty. On Turn 4, one of them was eliminated (by monsters, I think). By about Turn 200, the King of another kingdom settled a village near my capital, so I attacked it and killed him. Apparently that was his only city, so I'm down to 2 opponents now. I've barely explored my surroundings yet. xP

It feels kinda... hmm, I don't know. It's not exactly boring, but it feels lifeless. I haven't been attacked yet and nothing particularly interesting is happening. Maybe I should try a smaller map.
I suggest starting with as many enemies as possible for the larger maps. Also, researching the adventure techs (or domination or w/e the empire had) will make the monsters more Fun. Pack drakes with a combined combat rating of over 1000 for example. :)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 26, 2010, 10:59:53 pm »

Hey guys!

Got a fancy new build coming your way tonight. The big fix we wanted to get out there was for the "white screen" that happened in tactical battles on certain setups (this should also fix memory issues those players may have encountered).

We're testing this internally now and we'll let you know when its public. In the meantime, here's the changelong of various additions and bugfixes...

NOTE: This version is not totally compatible with Saved games from previous versions. YMMV.
NOTE: This version is not totally compatible with Saved games from previous versions. YMMV.

Lol... wtf? Not "totally" complatible?

How am I ever going to be able to finish the quest I got. The one that pops up the screen that says "Elemental War of Magic has encountered a problem and needs to close"

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 26, 2010, 11:18:13 pm »

Atleast they're quick on the upkeep. Even with Frogboy not being there, the team is still munching through issues and producing fixes faster than they can impliment them. XD

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 27, 2010, 12:31:17 am »

It's called keepin' yer job.

That said I've noticed the game is starting to smooth out, both in terms of performance and gameplay. Content wise it's still missing quite a bit, but more of that is coming I'm sure.

I'm having a good time finally. Started a game. met my neighbors across a big bay. Came back with an army 10 turns later, and he'd tripled in size. I decided to cut the head off the snake early, rode into his capital city, killed his wife and claimed the town, which was about 3x larger my own capital city, with 4 resource spots in it's SoI.

Then I conquered his other two cities, found him out in the wilderness and killed him. Not a bad start. The bastard was on his way to building a 5th city when I shut him down. I don't know if it's because he was surrounded in goodies, but it's annoying having them leave cities everywhere. Also, what happened to the Raze City button?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:35:16 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 27, 2010, 01:19:18 am »

I have a whole new rageifing bug. Every frew turns my game comes with with the error "DX: Invalid Call" and shuts down. To make it worse, it some how freaks my video card out so bad it goes into stupid mode. Launching Elemental causes the error "You don't have 32mb graphics memory" launching League of Legends tells me my card doesn't support shader mode. I have to restart to make things work again.

I have a fun game going, but a fire node some how spawned on top of a great forest... the hell? This game also has no "select under" button, so if you have someone else's caravan in your city you can't click your city.

How many turns into your game are you nenjin? I always seem to have trouble finding metal, but my neighbor to the south as one city with 2 in it. I am preparing for war now... Well... when ever this latest issue gets fixed.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 27, 2010, 02:22:28 am »

I dunno, 150? 200? Something like that. This is the 3rd real game I've played, keep making new ones when the new patches hit.

They need to punch up quests though. I'm getting like 1,000 alchemist quests back to back.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 27, 2010, 02:23:55 am »

Speak of the devil, there's another one out. That makes 2 within my day.

And it was a hot fix to solve crashing issues I wasn't having, and it invalidated that game. *sigh* Re-rollin...hope it fixed your problems.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 02:26:49 am by nenjin »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 27, 2010, 04:49:02 am »

Fikes, you might want to see about getting updated graphic card drivers. I know ATI put one out that fixed alot of the problems with Win7 + ATI problems.  That, or one of the new patches didn't install right and its buggin' the whole thing.  Usually shutting the program ends the issue, but having your video card shut down to basic sounds like a very bad deal.  >:(

But yea, the team is working overtop to get patches and smoother gameplay out.  I know that the AI and questing upgrades will be Frogboy's main deal for himself when he gets back from his vacation. xD Just between all of us, he'll take the weekend off and then be back, it'll drive him insane without working on it after three years of it. Haha.  Elemental may have been labeled 'unfinished', but no one can discount that the entire Stardock team isn't putting their butts in high gear in order to make it much much much more enjoyable for all of us.  8)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 27, 2010, 11:49:58 am »

Another new patch? What is starting to piss me off about the patches is that every time I have to go in and reconfigure the game AND often start a new game.

As for the team working over time now... they really have no one to blame but management. As far as I am concerned they have to be working over time to redeem themselves. We shouldn't be thanking them for that, we should be upset with them because it is nessesary. I feel bad for most of the developers, but I don't feel bad for the company. If they can put this many fixes together in a week, they really should have delayed it a week. I can't imagine the whole release window thing cause more damage to them than the unfinished release crap.

The video card issue is super strange, I have never seen anything like it. I just installed this video card 2 weeks ago and got the latest drives, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to check again. It almost seems like it has to do with several things happening at once, like the game auto saving at the same time you research a technology. Which is an annoying "feature" in and of itself. You research a spell and tech in the same turn? The windows appear on top of eachother.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 27, 2010, 12:11:13 pm »

Anybody know if there are any real reviews out yet?  It's a little odd that the game has been formally "released" for 4 days now and there hasn't been a peep from anyone on the game (other than a few blogs).  I wonder if they are giving the company some time to address bugs first.  I'm pretty sure it can't be because there is just loads and loads of content to see.  ::)

Also, I've been looking to see if anyone has begun to release mods yet.  I remember Stardock saying that part of the reason why they had the long beta period was for modders to get some content made to be ready for release.  The sad thing is that I believe modders are going to focus too much of their effort on balancing or "bug-fix" mods, rather than content mods. 

This is a serious problem because I think when Stardock set out to give modders the tools to add to the game, they never really intended the community to focus on modifying the fundamentals of the game, so much as they wanted us to enrich the game with new cosmetic content (new races, creatures, items, quests, etc).  I can see a major headache coming when Stardock releases balancing mods at the same time modders are releasing their own.  Had the game been tight to begin with, the community could focus purely on solid content, rather than doing the work that Stardock should have done in the first place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2010, 12:15:20 pm by GaelicVigil »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 69