Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85626 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #330 on: August 25, 2010, 09:32:12 am »

Well, technically you can, as long you're willing to play 2,000 or 3,000 turn game. Cities grow on their own, housing just a plus. But it drastically limits your choices on where you place your cities, which is both a good and bad thing. I think they could stand to revisit it.

That and I suspect there are some resource clustering issues with the map generator. In the heart of the continent, I built a city with like 8 features within its eventually large sphere of influence. Compared to the north of the map, where there was literally nothing.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 09:33:52 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 25, 2010, 09:35:43 am »

I don't think cities grow on their own, house-spacing-wise. Houses and the level of the city determine how many can live there, then you have the actual population increase by prestige. If you don't build any houses in a city it will stay insignificant, I think.
Edit: There's nothing stopping you from deleting houses once your city has leveled up, though. But that's practically an exploit at this point.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 25, 2010, 09:39:55 am »

It's also tedious and counter intuitive, since where are those people supposed to live? I also thought houses gave a bonus to population growth....could be wrong though.

Also Brad mentioned that where you put what buildings is important...have you seen any of that so far? I haven't.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 25, 2010, 09:50:07 am »

I managed to post a rather lengthy review and get all my complaints off my chest. Looks like it will stand the test of getting nuked, although fucking fanbois are pretty annoying.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 25, 2010, 10:07:36 am »

It's also tedious and counter intuitive ...
I'm testing game and that's how I feel about it. I have no idea how this economic system works. I don't know what I need to make my cities grow (is it food? (because it looks like all I need food for is building houses -_-) is it prestige? is it housing?)or how to make more money than 1 gold per turn from city (though I didn't spend much time with it and I couldn't be bothered to find out how it works, its just not intuitive). Specialization is good thing but how does this weird system help with it or make game more interesting in other way? Why do I have to build every goddamn hut? Why my citizens can't build their houses on their own? Why group of soldiers is treated as single badass unit (or rather how sticking with a group prevents you from dying)? Maybe I just haven't spend enough time on it but it doesn't seem very polished or thought out. I'll see if fabled Day 0 patch makes it any better or less confusing.

I managed to post a rather lengthy review and get all my complaints off my chest.
Linky?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 25, 2010, 10:31:00 am »

Food builds huts or houses or whatever they're called (it can also build markets). Houses and such increase the population potential in a city. Additional levels in the city also increase the potential population cap. To increase how fast the population grows, you need buildings with prestige. Standard is 1 increase in population per turn.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:24 am »

Sooooo ... you build houses out of food and your subjects are eating prestige? Ok ok prestige attracts people to settlement but building houses out of food is still silly. Why is food treated like building materials like stone or wood or is it just big one time ration that is supposed to last for a lifetime? Who the hell designed this system? How does it make any sense? How is it supposed to work? I don't get it. You know this reminds me of browser farm game my mom plays. Devs couldn't be bothered to make animal pens different from each other so they all have same set of actions: take new animal and put it in your warehouse ( :P ), gather natural fertilizer, refill food, refill water. Now lets take beehive. You harvest bees (yes really), take out their sh*t (honey? wax?), give them some food (dunno how it works, I suspect pot flowers) and water.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #337 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:01 am »

You can build houses when you have the food producing capacity to support more population.

You attract population when you have empty houses and a prestigious city.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 25, 2010, 11:21:58 am »

Food doesn't get produced like other materials. It's a steady supply. You build one farm, you have 5 food(s) to supply 5 huts with.

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 25, 2010, 11:24:22 am »

Ohhh now it makes sense. Too bad game fails to give any hint how it works. So what happens if for some reason my food production capacity is lowered?

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 25, 2010, 12:41:54 pm »

Nothing, honestly. I assume your population cap per city goes down, and if you say....recruit too much, and fall below the cap, you have to build more housing to get back up there.

But other than that, nothing. Which is why I think it needs some work. It's not working very well IMO, and coupled with how it makes you only want to build in certain places....it needs changing.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 25, 2010, 12:54:21 pm »

I'm trying to make a map of the UK, going quite well. Done the north end of scotland : D

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #342 on: August 25, 2010, 01:12:52 pm »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 25, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »

Well, at least he admits it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #344 on: August 25, 2010, 01:29:30 pm »

This part kind of annoys me.

Additionally, multiplayer servers are said to be running, but the mode won't be turned on until sometime next week due to "team exhaustion," a rep on the game's forums said.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 69