Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85607 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #300 on: August 24, 2010, 01:14:33 pm »

I think the bigger the towns the more Gildar you get per turn, and you can build additional buildings to help with it.

I only just found out that the trade caravans build roads somehow, and I'm guessing they increase movement speeds.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 24, 2010, 01:21:35 pm »

But your caravan actually moves back and forth between the cities, leaving it attackable. Didn't we get rid of that mechanic in games like 200 years ago? There are also trade agreements... what is the difference?

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »

But your caravan actually moves back and forth between the cities, leaving it attackable. Didn't we get rid of that mechanic in games like 200 years ago? There are also trade agreements... what is the difference?

Yeah, but how do people trade stuff between cities... if they don't actually go to other cities?

No idea on the trade agreements though.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 24, 2010, 01:29:38 pm »

Speaking of farms though, what does your population do for you other than level up your city? Do they pay taxes? I know you consume them when you recruit armies.

Are wargs and horses a resource like Ore and Materials? Do you have to research one of the adventuring skills to locate them?

Could someone explain essence in more detail? If I build the +25% essence building do I regen mana faster? If I summon a bear does it use up my essence? Where can I see my essence?

How is babby formed?

What the hell is a sion unit?

I don't think population increases gildar income. However, population directly controls the sphere of "influence", ie the border, which is what decides which map resources you control or not. Also levelling up your town allows you to build new, stronger buildings.

Yes, wargs and horses are resource-like. You can see them from the start, but you need to research something called Mounted Warfare to use them yourself. Once researched it becomes available for units for 1 horse/warg, or in item shop for 100gildar.

Essence is just another word for max mana. More essence does not make you gain mana faster, you still re-gain 1mana up to the cap for each hero with spellcasting ability each turn (so max mana is individual, there's no pool). (also some units have a mana pool for their own abilities). Unless it says when you summon anything that the essence loss is permanent, you don't lose essence. For example, the spell Imbue Hero, which makes an adventurer turn into a spellcaster costs permanent essence, but gives you a huge warning. Also note that summoning spells cost enchantment slots, and I still haven't figured out what limits that. Also you can only have one of each summon. Summons can be great - IF you look after them and allow them to level. They're NOT cannon fodder.

To get babies you have to select an adventurer of the opposite sex and marry it. I'm not sure if your main guy and the wife/husband must travel together to invoke pregnancy (I don't even know if pregnancy is a feature, or if its breeding-by-spores). I know for sure I've had babies pop out when main guy and wife were separated.

I don't know a sion unit is.

@ posts above: the main function of caravans is to build roads, and thus slowly increase the trade bonus to town-produced gildar. Trade treaties give you a set amount of gildar each turn. All real trade is handled through diplomacy, which you can do without a caravan (teleporting goods ftw).
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 24, 2010, 04:39:28 pm »

Having spent a little bit of time with this lately, I'd like to offer the following advice to anyone playing it for the first time:

Do not do the campaign. Just don't. It doesn't act as a tutorial, is full of scripting and quest bugs, and is so utterly bland and repetitive that you may as well save yourself from the boredom. (Note: an update to the campaign is supposed to improve some aspects of this, maybe in the Day 0 patch.)

Just start a skirmish game against the AI, your advisor will offer you far better tutorial-like advice throughout the game. And it's way more fun. The campaign, for me, was not fun in the least.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 24, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »

Having spent a little bit of time with this lately, I'd like to offer the following advice to anyone playing it for the first time:

Do not do the campaign. Just don't. It doesn't act as a tutorial, is full of scripting and quest bugs, and is so utterly bland and repetitive that you may as well save yourself from the boredom. (Note: an update to the campaign is supposed to improve some aspects of this, maybe in the Day 0 patch.)

Just start a skirmish game against the AI, your advisor will offer you far better tutorial-like advice throughout the game. And it's way more fun. The campaign, for me, was not fun in the least.

And the icing on this hilarious note: The 1.01 patch makes it so you can't start a skirmish game. This shit is /hilariously/ poorly done.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 24, 2010, 05:18:05 pm »

I've been playing with the 1.01 pre-term patch, and I find that it actually works alot better.  Not everything is so broken, and I don't have the lag and slow-downs that I first had in the game.  Of course, it would be alot better if there was a more cohesive tutorial. XD I haven't even touched the campaign yet, seems a waste though.

Out of 7 games I've started sense last night, I'm over 500 turns into this newest one without any crashing, so that's a plus right there. XD Starting dynasties though is hard to do. -.-' I cna't keep meh female heros alive long enough to get them back into my area of control. *Grumbles* Anyway! I find the diversity of research and resources is cool, making it better than the average spam-all planets and cities you'd find in other games! Totally awesome.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 24, 2010, 05:20:27 pm »

1.01 just hangs at the splash screen when I try to make a new random game.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:45 pm »

I think that's a problem with where the patch tries to instal.  I'm not sure what goes wrong, but you have to make sure the patch instals to the game dir.  Otherwise the maps get screwed up and won't load at all and several other bad things.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 24, 2010, 06:36:36 pm »

0 day patch is being uploaded, so that will be up and ready for download soon.

According to the patch notes, one of the things it adds is a bit more tutorial-esque dialog boxes.

Also, summoning spellbook isn't available from the start now. Guess they didn't want the player summoning bears right out of the starting gate, heh.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 06:38:20 pm by alway »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 24, 2010, 07:40:30 pm »

Yea.  I have a soverign that is lvl 2 and a bear as powerful as a lvl 10. >.>'' Makes most enemies sooooo easy at the start. XD That's why I don't use that summon at the get-go, even if I research it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 24, 2010, 07:53:37 pm »

I think that's a problem with where the patch tries to instal.  I'm not sure what goes wrong, but you have to make sure the patch instals to the game dir.  Otherwise the maps get screwed up and won't load at all and several other bad things.

egads you're right. The patcher doesn't autodetect the correct folder like most patchers do, it went to my other drive. Thanks

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 24, 2010, 08:38:19 pm »

No problem, Tilla. Enjoy the game, and give a good review of what you like, or hell, what you don't!  8)

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 24, 2010, 09:41:32 pm »

Welp, it just crashed with an 'Out of Memory' error a few hundred turns in. :/

Also your leader can't remarry if their spouse is murdered, so you can be stuck with no Dynasty :/

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 24, 2010, 09:56:18 pm »

Yea, odd. I also got that 'out of memory' error, too. And my computer has over 4GBs of memory in it.  I don't get it. Eh.  I haven't been able to get the 1.05 'Day 0' patch yet though, so maybe it'll get cleared up quickly.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 69