Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85547 times)

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2010, 03:02:32 pm »

I know the feeling, Sowelu, I almost drool every time I read those game-play walkthroughs. ><'' Too bad I'll probably never get the chance to get it.  RL stuff here is going to be the death of me, especially if we're forced to move. *Le sighs*
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2010, 04:28:43 pm »

Here's their (incomplete) 4-part game play walk through. It goes in and out of character, so there's some non-informational reading, but it covers all the major parts of game play.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2010, 05:31:58 pm »

Does anyone have links to video of some massive battles?  Combat between 5-10 soldiers is fine, but doesn't come even close to MoM's epic skirmishes.

They talked this up when the game was first announced, saying that a single dragon could take out like a thousand soldiers in a single fight.  It seems a little odd that I haven't seen anything like this yet since it was described as a major game feature from the very beginning.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 05:35:36 pm by GaelicVigil »

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2010, 05:42:20 pm »

There haven't been very many 'videos', sadly.  You have to understand, in order to even be able to recruit magics, it can take hundreds of turns into the game, meaning hours and hours and hours worth of time.  And to sit there and video it all the while? Well, that's a long stretch. XD Its easier to use the screenshots you can take between turns. Haha.

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2010, 05:46:25 pm »

Not to mention that, yes a public beta has been available, but even the most recent beta lacks a lot of the polish and finished tech trees, etc. that are in the build being shown off in those gameplay examples. Two, maybe three days to go... I don't remember the release date!  :-\
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2010, 05:49:03 pm »

lol. They purposefully did the betas just like that.  They were true, technical betas, testing out different systems in the game without giving people the finished product to say what they want about it. They took suggestions and improvements very seriously at the same time.  And yea, Nenjin and Janekk have already posted all five parts of the Day 0 version game-play walkthrough via links. Check it out for those who want some more in-depth information about the game!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2010, 05:57:14 pm »

Yeah I was just saying that's why videos of big tactical battles aren't available yet. Also, I figure out the release:

Quote from: Frogboy
We’re going to be making the game available early to everyone who beta tested Elemental (planned day is either Sunday night or Monday morning) and anyone who pre-orders prior to Monday morning will get the game on Monday rather than having to wait until Tuesday.
Link
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2010, 06:04:36 pm »

The largest amount of numbers in a "unit" is 24 in beta4. I think the reason you probably won't see too many of them is their cost is completely linear (1guy = 1g, 24guys = 24g). Since you're constantly upgrading your equipment, it's simply better to build solo or groups of guys (building a unit with many guys also takes longer, but you save time overall there). However, the way the game was designed in beta4, units with a large amount of guys would be prevalent late-game, because a unit with 24 guys would have 24 times as much health, and even if you damaged the unit to 99%, you wouldn't lose any of the guys in the unit (100% damage = lose all guys).

Anyway... 24 guys in a unit, I don't know how many units you can bring to a fight though. To get one thousand guys, you'd have to bring [math here]. That many units probably wouldn't fit on the combat maps.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2010, 06:13:03 pm »

It also depends upon your population. Besides those adventurers you can 'recruite' from the world map, you literally have to use your population to create armies.  So if you have a city with ony 27 people living in it, then you can have a max of 27 warriors created from that city, and that's the max for there, until the population gets bigger.

GaelicVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 21, 2010, 07:03:43 pm »

The largest amount of numbers in a "unit" is 24 in beta4. I think the reason you probably won't see too many of them is their cost is completely linear (1guy = 1g, 24guys = 24g). Since you're constantly upgrading your equipment, it's simply better to build solo or groups of guys (building a unit with many guys also takes longer, but you save time overall there). However, the way the game was designed in beta4, units with a large amount of guys would be prevalent late-game, because a unit with 24 guys would have 24 times as much health, and even if you damaged the unit to 99%, you wouldn't lose any of the guys in the unit (100% damage = lose all guys).

Anyway... 24 guys in a unit, I don't know how many units you can bring to a fight though. To get one thousand guys, you'd have to bring [math here]. That many units probably wouldn't fit on the combat maps.

So, I'm still confused...is this 24 max group-size for beta only and we'll be getting the massive unit armies in the release version?  Or is this it?  Or do people not know yet because we've only seen beta release media?

I highly doubt we're going to get what they promised us, if we haven't seen anything on this and the game comes out on Tuesday. 

What about the massive maps meant to run on 64 bit machines only?  Are those confirmed to be there on release?
And what about the in-game content sharing system they promised, where you can instantly download fan-created mods to add to your world?

Seems awfully odd that we know so little about these things when we're 72 hours away from release.  That's a very bad sign to me.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2010, 07:06:39 pm by GaelicVigil »

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 21, 2010, 07:10:38 pm »

All I can say is "don't know", since beta4 is like a month old, and I haven't ransacked the forums lately.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 21, 2010, 07:19:12 pm »

Buying this as we speak.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 21, 2010, 07:36:15 pm »

I beleive the way it works is that you can combine singular 'soldiers' into a 'unit' of up to 24; but then you can combine a near infinite amount of units together into an 'army' of hundreds or thousands. *Shrugs*

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 21, 2010, 07:37:47 pm »

Well the way it worked in beta4 was you selected how many guys you wanted in a unit at training. Units could not be combined to form a single larger unit, but they could occupy the same tile, be part of the same army, move together, fight together and so on.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 21, 2010, 09:40:58 pm »

I doubt many armies of 10,000 orcs are going to be roaming the postapocalypse. They're not really going for the "massive armies" feel, if I recall correctly.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 69