Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69

Author Topic: Elemental - War of Magic  (Read 85515 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Elemental - War of Magic
« Reply #165 on: August 15, 2010, 11:09:46 pm »

Probably means that not all things like dragons or quest lines will be present in each game. I know they're working directly with Random House to create quest lines and then frogboy and co. implement them in game. Depending on how big of an impact it has on game, how diverse the quests actually are, ect.... it could actually pan out that way.

Of course it's just a bunch of generic themed Kill X, Amass X amounts quests....
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2010, 06:37:40 pm »

This beta journal entry does a pretty good job of describing an average game and all the dynamic things that can happen.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 16, 2010, 06:56:59 pm »

For those of you who wish to learn what Elemental is all about, without going through all of the Journal entries to try to make sense of all of the BETA stuff, check out http://firingsquad.com/games/elemental_war_of_magic_interview/

In it, FiringSquad does vast, comprehensive interview with Brad Wardell himself. *Nod nods* Good stuff.
"It takes being a nerd to be a dorf, and I'm more than happy to compensate."

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: August 17, 2010, 02:10:54 pm »

This beta journal entry does a pretty good job of describing an average game and all the dynamic things that can happen.

This...sounds nothing like Master of Magic at all... D:

More like a cross between HOMM3 and some whacked-out Civ.

And yet I am intrigued.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: August 17, 2010, 06:23:06 pm »

There was a dev journal post not too long ago that describes the early game very in depth and semi in-character, and also includes screenshots.

Link to dev journal

It describes the game a lot better than that link posted above, I think (plus it's being played on the release version).
Entropy is not what it used to be.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 18, 2010, 01:28:17 am »

I totally agree, Silfurdreki. Sadly, I've read that same dev journal several times already. lol. It's the Gold version of the game, as compared to the more polished 'Day 0' version.  (Sadly though, I don't much know the difference). XD

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2010, 12:43:54 am »

As a note on the old Master of Magic, there are still people working on it...and making progress. Here's a new patch. This seems to have become a general announcement thread for the guys working on the game.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2010, 11:36:06 am »

Wow, cool! I'll have to try it out with the new patches.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »

I totally agree, Silfurdreki. Sadly, I've read that same dev journal several times already. lol. It's the Gold version of the game, as compared to the more polished 'Day 0' version.  (Sadly though, I don't much know the difference). XD
If I understand them right, the Gold version is the "final" version that has been pressed onto CDs / DVDs and boxed up for retail, while the Day 0 version is an updated version everyone will upgrade to when they install the game on the first day. Like a day one patch that's already prepared and waiting.

I think.

I've wanted this game since it was first announced that Stardock wanted to buy the IP for Master of Magic -- but I'm not grabbing it on release day. I want to hear some reviews from people I trust (Bay12 forumites) before I buy it, since I am one of the people that didn't really enjoy GalCiv 2 as much as everyone else seemed to (I still prefer MOO2).

But I have hope!

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2010, 02:36:46 pm »

I bought Demigod on release and was really disappointed. It took months to fix the multiplayer.

I think if this game was going to be bad on release, there would be plenty more beta journals bitching about the experience.

My prediction would be that multiplayer will fail. Activation will probably fail. But single player will be more than enough fun to make up for the cost of the game.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2010, 05:13:59 pm »

I actually have the opposite opinion compared to Fikes.  I believe that not only the multiplayer work, and generally work rather well for the type of turn-based game it is, but that even if something is messed up upon release, they'll be quick to fix it.

The amount of support during the beta and the obvious enjoyment of the game by the dev team and those that played through beta 4 seems to show that the game is very much that type of gamer-made-for-gamers game that almost everyone who's into that turn-based strategy game will enjoy.

And the RPG parts for your Soverign and other characters is awesome!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2010, 05:54:48 pm »

I've never enjoyed 4x games for their multiplayer component, anyways.

Viken

• Bay Watcher
  • "Fight, or Die. Easy."
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2010, 09:53:33 pm »

Most dont, and I've only played Civ4 in multiplayer a few times with close friends, though it was never over lan.  But the ability to save your position in the multiplayer game and then pick it up again later should be a nifty feature in it.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 20, 2010, 10:33:27 am »

Here's their (incomplete) 4-part game play walk through. It goes in and out of character, so there's some non-informational reading, but it covers all the major parts of game play.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 20, 2010, 02:45:30 pm »

Oh man.  Can not wait.

This might be *exactly* what I wanted.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 69